Nintendo’s E3 2014: Zelda Wii U, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros. – all news here

Tuesday, 10th June 2014 20:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Super Smash Bros. Bayonetta 2. The Legend of Zelda Wii U. These were the big ticket items for the Nintendo’s E3 2014 live stream. It’s all broken down for you below. Head onward.

amiibosmall_2

Xenoblade Chronicles (3DS) – 2015

Mario Maker (Wii U) – 2015

Star Fox (working title) (Wii U) – 2015

Project Giant Robot (Wii U) – 2015

Project Guard (Wii U) – 2015

A bizarre Super Smash Bros. start

A new Mario game wasn’t announced today. The news was broken via an animated version of Reggie Fils-Aime which kicked off the presentation.

Then, a bizarre instance of Satoru Iwata and Fils-Aime fighting it out led to footage of their Miis brawling in the new Smash Bros game.

Super Smash Bros. head Masahiro Sakurai followed the rather odd footage to discuss how he wanted to add Miis in the last outing, but the tech wasn’t there.

It is now, according to Sakurai who stated the Mii fighters will come in three varieties: brawlers will be bare knuckle fighters, gunners and sword fighters will have weapons. Each have four special moves from 12 options equating to 46 special moves. Palutena from Kid Icarus was also confirmed as a fighter later in the presentation.

The 3DS version is almost complete and is undergoing debugging and more testing. More features are to be announced at a later date for the 3DS version before it releases during holiday 2014.

Fils-Aime came on to discuss how Nintendo’s Amiibo figurines will play into the Wii U version of the game, which will be the first to incorporate the figurines. The next title to make use to the toys will be added to Mario Kart 8 at a later date.

Upcoming titles

The first upcoming title to be shown was Yoshi’s Woolly World was shown. The 2.5D side-scroller based around exploration for Wii U is in development at Good-Feel, and is the second Yoshi game since Yoshi’s Story starring only Yoshi.

The game uses similar art material of yarn and textiles Kirby’s Epic Yawn Wii and features a textile and fabric environment. Yoshi can make Flutter Jumps and the dinosaur starts out as only yarn threads in his shape. When he uses his tongue, he will swallow Shy Guys in order to turn into a three-dimensional form. It contains co-op and will be released in 2015.

A game called Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was shown, and it looks like a Toad version of Super Mario 3D World game. It’s out this holiday on Wii U.

Zelda development boss Eiji Aonuma came on next to discuss the new Zelda Wii U game which is open-world. Players can access areas in the game from any direction without having to follow a set path – as with previous games in the franchise.

A trailer -which is all in-game footage – showed a boss fight with Link while staying on Epona’s back the entire time was shown. So we take it this means you can battle on horse-back. Sign us up please. It’s out next year.

bayonetta-1-and-2-wiiu

Pokémon Ruby Version and Sapphire Version was up next with a trailer. The game which both takes place in the Hoenn region, and will be released on November 21. Primal Groudon, which is on the cover of Pokémon Omega Ruby, and Primal Kyogre, which is on the cover of Pokémon Alpha Sapphire were also announced.

A better look at combat in Bayonetta 2, which is a Wii U exclusive, was shown and apparently our titular hero can don a Samus outfit. The Platinum Games title will be released in October, and the game disc includes the original Bayonetta game.

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 will be bundled together for an October 2014 release.

Hyrule Warriors will allow players to take on the role of Princess Zelda, Impa, Midna, and Link according to information provided in the stream. The game is out in September 26 on Wii U and looks rather lovely in my opinion.

Splatoon is a new IP in the works for Wii Um and it’s a four-on-four multiplayer action game that drops players into a battle arena that two teams strive to claim as their own. Players of each team spray ink on the ground around them while blotting out the opposing team members in turf war competitions.

Each character can turn into a squid-like character and swim through his or her own team’s ink – gliding up and down walls and under floors – with ease. Using the Wii U GamePad’s gyro sensor make it easy to look around and aim, and the on-screen map displays the entire arena at a glance. Splatoon is targeted to launch in the first half of 2015.

Announced also was Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which is heading to Wii U. Planned for 2015, the game is set in an HD, stop-motion clay-like world where everything is made from clay. Touch-screen drawing mechanics with more variations in functions build on the controls of the Nintendo DS game Kirby’s Canvas Curse are in this new game.

The latest Kirby title was followed, finally, by a trailer for Monolith’s ‘X’ which has been in development for what seems ages. It is now known as Xenoblade Chronicles. Thank you for finally giving us an actual title on it, Monolith.

Mario Maker for Wii U was shown, and the game allows you to create your own custom Mario levels. It’s out in 2015.

Later on in the day

Don’t forget: Wii U multiplayer matches for Super Smash Bros. are taking place over at Nintendo’s Twitch channel. It all kicks off at 4pm PDT

The invitational bouts will see 16 of the world’s best Super Smash Bros. players lock horns in the fighter.

Also, Miamoto-san will be showing off games he is personally working on. You can see a glimpse at each through the YouTube link and Twitch.

The games are:

• Star Fox (working title): Turns the Wii U GamePad into the view from the cockpit of Fox McCloud’s Arwing fighter. While the TV shows the perspective from behind the Arwing, players can also use the gyro sensors of the GamePad to intuitively and independently target enemies. Players can instantly switch between the Arwing and Landmaster tank with the press of a button, and the game also introduces a new helicopter-type vehicle. The game is scheduled for 2015.
  • Project Giant Robot: Lets players use the touch screen to build a giant robot. Once complete, the GamePad becomes a cockpit from which players control the robot as they try to knock opponents over. A unique combination of button and motion control adds leverage and momentum to their robotic punches. The game is scheduled for the first half of 2015.
  • Project Guard: The goal is to stop a robot invasion using a security system of 12 cameras as a last line of defense. Players mount a dozen security cameras around a perimeter before the invasion, and then monitor all 12 as the robot army invades. Cameras also can blast lasers, so players must look, search and shoot quickly if they want to survive the onslaught. The innovative use of the two-screen game play makes for a thrilling spectator experience, allowing anyone in the living room to join in on the fun as an additional set of eyes. The game is scheduled for 2015.

1. dreamcastnews

I really, really want to expect greatness from Nintendo this E3, watching Microsoft and Sony have a decent mixture of new IP and resurrecting some classics really got me yearning the same from Nintendo but I know deep down that Mario will be the biggest focus and all the other titles will ‘just’ be what we’ve seen already.

This E3 is probably the most important in a number of years for the company and now is the time to restore some faith with some new IP and something like Animal Crossing or Earthbound for Wii U, also Nintendo need to start working on taking the burden off 3rd parties, help with the publishing duties and work on incentives to get people to buy non-Nintendo software on Wii U.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

Just realized I can actually watch this thanks to this handy chart:

Had my time zone math all screwed up and thought I’d be working.

I’m looking forward to this.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Luciferous

@dreamcastnews I only need three things to secure a Wii U purchase from me… Zelda, metroid, X anything else is just extra portions of pudding.

#3 3 months ago
  4. polygem

I had so many problems with Nintendo during the Wii era but i absolutely love their new systems.

To me they represent everything that i love about “old” gaming while at the same time they manage to make it all feel fresh, new, exciting. I think they deserve a lot of credit for that.

After watching MS, Sony and EA (will watch UBI in a sec.) i think that going with a video presentation was a smart move.

They have the chance to differentiate with it even more from the same same presenters, wearing the same shirts only in different colours, presenting the same games with a different paintjob.

I am looking forward to the show and i hope that they will manage to make more people realize that they actually offer some pretty fantastic software on some fun, solid hardware.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Joe Musashi

I’m pretty certain there’s a few here that can write their feedback to Nintendo’s presser, er, video, er “Digital Event”, well before it’s shown.

JM

#5 3 months ago
  6. polygem

@Joe Musashi
    i am sure yeah and you are probably one of them.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

I remain open minded, as always.

Though, for me, continued reliance on nostalgia, ancient IP, and nebulous catchphrases that don’t actually mean anything are not ‘passion’ or anything to be excited over.

However, I’m confident that any games content shown will actually show games footage as opposed to CG.

I’ll be most interested to see how they plan to win over those that are not buying their products. Selling to the part of your audience that is already (and easily) sold is not Nintendo’s chief concern right now.

JM

#7 3 months ago
  8. polygem

oh the magic of true passion

#8 3 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

Anything like X? New IPs? No? I expect footage from that Pokemon Remake and confirming my fears.

Prediction: Zelda U and more Mario.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

Love is blind.

JM

#10 3 months ago
  11. salarta

What concerns me is that the interview with Miyamoto in TIME talks about Star Fox Wii U… and only that. That implies, but in no way guarantees, that the only game in this conference that may seem worthwhile from Nintendo as a developer is Star Fox.

I’d like a Metroid announcement, but given both Other M and the heels on Smash Bros Samus, I’m concerned they’ll just fuck it up again story-wise (gameplay-wise, the game was good).

#11 3 months ago
  12. polygem

@Joe Musashi
    Hate is blind

#12 3 months ago
  13. stockops3

Best opening to a e3 ever!

#13 3 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Neogaf gifs are definitely happening. And that opening, oh dear.

#14 3 months ago
  15. stockops3

Miis confirmed, Mii Brawler, Gunner and Sword fighter, looks great!

#15 3 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

Oh my god! Exclusive content (amiibo) for multiplatform games Skylanders/Disney Infinity!

#16 3 months ago
  17. salarta

So that’s why Nintendo is obsessed with Mario above all else and tends to let all the other IPs stagnate. Reggie’s a big Mario fan.

#17 3 months ago
  18. polygem

so modern

#18 3 months ago
  19. polygem

+1 cap toad

#19 3 months ago
  20. stockops3

Look at DAT Zelda Wii U 0_0

#20 3 months ago
  21. Mike W

That Zelda Wii U is going to clean house next year. :D

#21 3 months ago
  22. Legendaryboss

Oh no the remakes look like Pokemon X & Y, thats bad. If its too easy as well, fuck it.

#22 3 months ago
  23. Mike W

@Mike W

One Bayonetta 1 & 2 in one package

#23 3 months ago
  24. mistermogul

Thank god for Nintendo!

#24 3 months ago
  25. polygem

i was actually expecting that they would include bayonetta one. awesome innit.

#25 3 months ago
  26. polygem

@mistermogul +1

#26 3 months ago
  27. Dralen

I’ve just never understood Nintendo as a gaming company. I just don’t get their games. Yeah sure, Mario and Zelda were great when I was a kid but I’ve grown up. I just don’t understand how Nintendo can think that they can keep rehashing the same stuff, and expect people to stay interested. Oh well, I’m clearly just not a Nintendo person.

#27 3 months ago
  28. stockops3

Hyrule Warriors 26th September, as a fan of Zelda and Dynasty Warriors seriously looking forward to it!

#28 3 months ago
  29. Legendaryboss

X is delayed.

#29 3 months ago
  30. stockops3

Xenoblade Chronicles!!!!

#30 3 months ago
  31. polygem

oh, look at that joe. close right.

#31 3 months ago
  32. salarta

As odd as it is to say, I really do have to say that so far Nintendo has the best E3 showing this year. Bayonetta 2 still looks good, the new Legend of Zelda is an excellent throwback style-wise to the 80s and early 90s Zelda, X still looks great, Mario Maker is a good idea. I’m looking forward to playing as Princess Zelda in Hyrule Warriors.

Now they just need to release all of this stuff some day. I learned from the Operation Rainfall situation combined with years of no games that there’s a risk of Nintendo not releasing great stuff they have to offer in the United States.

#32 3 months ago
  33. CyberMarco

POKEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Man, I still have my GBA SP with Pokemon Green Leaf and it’s still working. So want now!!! xD

#33 3 months ago
  34. polygem

was good but also lacked a true wtf moment.

#34 3 months ago
  35. stockops3

Was Miyamoto playing StarFox in the background?

#35 3 months ago
  36. Legendaryboss

Predictions were spot on.

#36 3 months ago
  37. Joe Musashi

Hmm.

Turning your execs into mascots.
    Admitted ‘fan service’.
    Zelda: Skyrim
    No Bayo 2 date
    No actual gameplay footage of XB Chronicles

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker looks nice (but existing IP)

Splatoon looked great but need to know how it operates more. The tap-to-go-where-your-friend-is function seems completely counter to the whole territorial strategy aspect of the game. NEW IP.

Plenty of content for the already-sold-to fans.
    Does almost nothing to convince those that still need convincing.

Fanboys will rejoice. Naturally.

JM

#37 3 months ago
  38. Bomba Luigi

Shigeru that Bastard, playing Starfox and making the Screen all Blury. Just show it!

Zelda looks mental, I want to see more!

#38 3 months ago
  39. stretch215

I’m getting wiiU for my kids for sure, but there was absolutely nothing in that video for me.

#39 3 months ago
  40. polygem

@#37
    i absolutely agree. sometimes you can even make sense. has become a rarity though.

#40 3 months ago
  41. polygem

i really wanted a 2d castlevania and/or metroid so bad :(

#41 3 months ago
  42. Joe Musashi

I was initially thinking that Splatoon might be a new De Blob game. So mixed feelings. Sad it’s not De Blob, happy it’s completely fresh.

JM

#42 3 months ago
  43. diego-rbb-93

@CyberMarco By the way, where is your famous unknown powered chip for Xbox? ¬¬

#43 3 months ago
  44. polygem

not feeling devils third at all

#44 3 months ago
  45. juantonio86

@Joe Musashi the date for bayo 2 is october they show it ;)

#45 3 months ago
  46. ManuOtaku

Call me crazy, but this is the most equally balanced e3 in recent memories, pretty much is a tie between all 3, which is great for gamers.

#46 3 months ago
  47. Legendaryboss

Devils Third – The Bayonetta 2 styled situation.

#47 3 months ago
  48. fihar

*sigh*
    As much as I love to see Epic Yarn’s artstyle being used again, that’s another side-scroller for the Wii U after Rayman, NSMB and Donkey Kong.
    And another platformer with Toad.

Still, a proper HD sequel to Canvas Curse with proper use of the gamepad is an offer even I can’t refuse.

#48 3 months ago
  49. fihar

Splatoon sounds to be quite an interesting take on the Fat Princess formula though.

And Arwing!

#49 3 months ago
  50. Clupula

Well, it wasn’t awful, but nothing exciting is going on except for Xenoblade Chronicles X, but we already knew about it.

As for Devil’s Third, it’s kinda funny in a way. It makes the Wii U start to feel like the place where games that wouldn’t sell on PS3/360 end up on.

#50 3 months ago
  51. dazedonthemoon

I for one am not happy about the Zelda reveal, I’m kinda pissed it’s in the same graphic style of wind waker. I’m sure it’ll play awesome but I was finally hoping for a realistic HD version of Zelda for me to get a Wii U. I could not help but notice Bayonettas graphics looked even worse on Wii U than the original on 360 and PS3. Same with Hyrule Warriors, looks fun but downgraded looks really hurts to see after playing on PS3/4 and Xbox. The only thing that excited me was Xenoblade Chronicles. Everything else was very kiddish Nintendo crap that isn’t for me, besides Super Smash. Ugh. And where’s the price drop?

#51 3 months ago
  52. Kreion

I feel like the Nintendo conference is pointless for anyone who has no particular interest in their existing franchises. Then again you could say the same for all the next gen consoles…but few people are stuck between the Wii U and an Xbox or Ps4 – if they’re Nintendo fans they probably already have one.

I don’t know, it just feels to me like all Nintendo ever need to do is go “Here’s some more x and here’s some Y” without ever really…doing anything. *shrug* I found Sony and Microsoft’s more interesting tbh but I suppose that’s the nature of Nintendo. You either like it or aren’t that interested, at the very least few people dislike them :p

#52 3 months ago
  53. zoopdeloop

No mention of a price drop.No buy for just 2-3 games
    Here WiiU is only 100euros less than Ps4 and (now )Xbox One.
    good luck with that

#53 3 months ago
  54. Armitage Shanks

No Symphony of the Night 2 then,what a surprise.

#54 3 months ago
  55. polygem

@Armitage Shanks
    yes, depressing…

#55 3 months ago
  56. Armitage Shanks

@55 yeah i knew it just had to be bullshit from the get go,But that Zelda WiiU footage ,holy helllllll.that and No Mans Sky were the best looking things out of E3 by a wide margin for me.

#56 3 months ago
  57. polygem

@Armitage Shanks

i still haven´t given up on a new metroid or castlevania game. but this really only is wishful thinking at this point it seems.

reggie said on ign that he will wear a metroid pin tomorrow – - – - – - – ? probably means shit though.

zelda and no man´s sky looked great indeed. can´t wait to play NMS on PC in 1440p. i LOVE the colours in that game.

the new from software game was also able to make me excited for but they didn´t show much from it yet.

i really hope for more gameplay in general in the next days.

#57 3 months ago
  58. FBSKing

iI really love Nintendo and their games, but despite the incredible looks of an open world zelda, I think they have done enough Zeldas, what about a new IP, a real new IP, there are many ways of doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iwnDDe2pYw you know, just saying;)

#58 3 months ago
  59. Nintendo1985

Excelent E3 for Nintendo.
    Reggie vs Satura was brilliant.

#59 3 months ago
  60. JaxonH

@Dralen

It’s not rehash. The only people who say that are people that don’t play their games and don’t know squat about them.

Trust me, I own all three consoles and both handhelds. AAA game industry is just one big rehash. Every single individual Nintendo game is different. Every one. Even games of the same series have more of a difference in gameplay than the entire AAA industry. Trust me, if you can play AAA games and not get sick of them, you’ll NEVER get sick of Nintendo games.

Nintendo won this E3 more than Sony won last year. This very well could be the best presentation I’ve ever seen before. Like EVER. That Splatoon game looks DOPE.

#60 3 months ago
  61. AppleRedX

Nintendo just won he E3. Congratulations

#61 3 months ago
  62. Kreion

@JaxonH

Aha are you kidding me? Fanboy more.

I don’t play many Nintendo games, but the ones I have played never held my attention for that long. They are stylistically pretty and the mechanics are solid, but that doesn’t mean they are inherently better than other AAA games JUST because Nintendo made them. I can think of many more games which I’ve played for longer periods of time – so don’t lump all Nintendo games together. Also why they may not be rehashes, you have to admit that they pretty much exclusively use a few IP’s – rarely making new stuff.

#62 3 months ago