Mario dies in this surreal live-action Mercedes advert

Thursday, 29th May 2014 10:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Mario Kart 8 is getting some free Mercedes DLC in Japan to tie in with the launch of the car manufacturer’s GLA model. The promotional has also received a weird advert that sees a live-action Mario die at the hands – well, feet – of a Goomba.

It follows my Mario Kart 8 Wii U review. The game’s out May 30 in the UK.

mario-kart-8-mercedes

The DLC is coming in the summer and there’s also word that a GLA tournament is coming in the Fall, although the specifics have yet to be confirmed.

Here’s the trailer:

In a statement to Joystiq, Nintendo said, “The announcement this time was made by Mercedes-Benz Japan regarding their collaboration in Japan with Nintendo Co. Limited.”

“As for the information relating to the distribution of the GLA kart for Mario Kart 8 outside Japan, we will be able to announce in the near future.”

So the DLC might come west later on. We’ll update you once we hear more, but for now, here’s some nightmare-fuel to play us out:

mario-mercedes-advert

mario-mercedes-advert_1

mario-mercedes-advert_2

mario-mercedes-advert_3

Christ.

1. matirishhh

AWESOME!!!!! HAHAHA

#1 2 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@matirishhh The live-action bit makes the Mushroom Kingdom look like a ravaged post apocalyptic nightmare.

#2 2 months ago
  3. polygem

If Nintendo go ingame ads, you can count me out. Seriously. This is too much. i wont swallow it.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@polygem Yeah it’s an odd move. Maybe this is what they meant by doing more third-party content?

#4 2 months ago
  5. polygem

@Dave Cook:

i hope not. i have some principles. i am having a punk, hardcore scene background. nintendos mc donalds deals always turned me off. mercedes benzs´recent activities in the weapon industry (EADS)…that´s just not something that i want to support.

this is why i don´t like ingame advertising at all. i don´t want politics in my games ffs. why can´t that stay out of there?

believe it or not. this made me cancel my mario kart 8 preorder. will see what will be happening but for now, i am out.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@polygem Yeah I’m not a fan of it either. Activision really took the piss back in Guitar Hero 3 with product placement for one. Leaves a bad taste.

#6 2 months ago
  7. polygem

@Dave Cook
    Yep, it does. Man, i was so looking forward to play MK8 tomorrow. Now i have to think about this first :D

That EADS deal and the weapon export business of daimler benz really is something i just can´t support in any way, shape or form.

I just wrote an e-mail to Nintendo. I´m not thinking that it will change a thing of course and i don´t want to make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is but to me personally, it is a problematic situation unfortunately and if this kind of advertising will become a nintendo standard now, i will indeed face some ethical problems within my gaming hobby.

Politics, please stay out of my games FFS!

#7 2 months ago
  8. FBSKing

That was fun, but I think this style would be more appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqsdCjotdzk but perhaps would not have much sense, I think that they achieve their mission.

#8 2 months ago
  9. A Zombie Riot

@polygem Why would you think about not getting it? This DLC is only Japan-Exclusive for now and it doesn’t affect the game at all. My guess is it’s just a skin for a kart, that’s really it.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

@A Zombie Riot

sure, maybe i was a overreacting a little bit but the thing is: i really, deeply dislike ingame-ads with a pasion. i just don´t want them in a game. imo they don´t belong in a game. gaming is escapism, is about geting away from the real world for a while. at least it is for me. in some cases i could tolerate games related ingame ads but everything else, not so much. the fact that this is mercedes benz, a corporation that is involved in some very shady weapon export deals is not helping much either unfortunately.

i assume that this will be a door opener for more ingame ads in nintendo games – and that – would really be a shame and indeed something that would make me look at nintendo in a very different light.

we´ll see where this goes…

#10 2 months ago
  11. polygem

i vote for edit button

#11 2 months ago
  12. A Zombie Riot

@polygem I get your points, I really do. I say, for right now at least, don’t put too much into this. If and when Nintendo does more with this and in worse ways, then complain all you want. For right now, this is pretty much a non-issue.

#12 2 months ago
  13. bradk825

HAHAHA!! The video was mildly humourous to me, the focus on the eyes at the end of the article made me laugh though.

#13 2 months ago