Crysis 1 and 2 on PC will lose online multiplayer in GameSpy shutdown

Monday, 14th April 2014 11:22 GMT By Dave Owen

Crytek has confirmed that Crysis 1 and 2 on PC will lose their online multiplayer modes when GameSpy closes its servers on May 31. The games join a long list that will go offline on that date.

crysis2art

While older Battlefield titles will be moving to a new home, Crytek has said that it will not be doing the same with the first two Crysis titles.

“The single-player campaigns in both games are unaffected by this transition, and the multiplayer mode in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 versions of Crysis 2 remain playable,” reads a statement on the German developer’s official Crysis forum.

“We’d like to thank everyone who has taken up arms in Crysis and Crysis 2′s multiplayer modes in the last few years, and apologize to the small but dedicated community of PC players who are still actively competing against one another.”

Thanks, CVG.

1. TheWulf

Interesting that the so-called evil EA will be adopting their older games to the change, but Crytek won’t. Interesting. I wonder how many others will follow EA’s lead? Hopefully more than those who’ll follow along with Crytek’s lazy attitude.

Honestly, if you’re not going to support your game over the long term, the least you can do is make it open source so that other people can.

I feel bad for Crysis fans, really. I’m not among them, but I really hate this attitude that modern developers have that it’s okay to abandon games just because they’re a few years (or even must months) old! That shouldn’t be acceptable and it should make people think twice before buying from them in the future.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Scott Kevill

@TheWulf Don’t mistake EA for caring about their old games. They have quite a track record for shutting down their own games. The only reason they’re doing this now for their older Battlefield games is they are desperate to push adoption for Origin any way they can.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Panthro

I could understand Crysis 1 losing its online but Crysis 2? It’s still a fresh game to be closing it’s servers so soon.

#3 8 months ago
  4. alimokrane

TheWulf…. I would suggest you go and check to find out that EA is the publisher of both Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 ….. who’s the bad guy now?? EA are just as evil and if I am not mistaken, since when is it the responsibility of the game developer to sort out the servers for its game – arent publishers the ones responsible??!

#4 8 months ago
  5. Talkar

@alimokrane I really doubt that EA are the ones maintaining the code for any of the games. That is usually the job of the developer, since they are the developer…

#5 8 months ago
  6. mineral4r7s

Achja wie einfach das Leben eines Spieles ist ohne dedizierte Server. Naja ich geh dann mal wieder Call of Duty 2 spielen.

#6 8 months ago
  7. mineral4r7s

@mineral4r7s Damn why did I wrote in german? Oh boy… Translation:
    Oh how easy the life of a game nowadays is without dedicated servers. Well I am back to playing Call of Duty 2.

#7 8 months ago