Microsoft doesn’t plan on releasing more Halo titles on Steam “at this time”

Saturday, 29th March 2014 14:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has said it doesn’t plan on offering more Halo titles through Steam “at this time,” according to a Microsoft representative speaking with Gamespot. It’s not all bad news though, as Halo: Spartan Assault will land on the service April 4. The next Halo game is expected sometime this year, but it’s unknown at present whether its the Halo for Xbox One or the rumored Halo 2 Anniversary.

1. salarta

It’s kind of funny, because the Halo games appearing on Steam is the only way I’d ever play them. I don’t know what Spartan Assault is all about, I’ll check it when it shows up, but if it’s multiplayer only then I’ll pass.

#1 9 months ago
  2. fengato

^ Spartan Assault is a top down shooter originally developed for tablet. It’s not worth your time.

I do hope the bring the core games to steam – I’d love some 60fps Reach…

#2 9 months ago
  3. unknown_gamer

They wont bring them on Steam , let’s be real guys lol
    its Micro$oft and they will make the games work only on their Windows 8.1 service in order to force more people into this crappy OS .

#3 9 months ago
  4. salarta

@fengato Thanks, I won’t bother with Spartan Assault then.

@unknown_gamer Microsoft’s likely saving meaningful entries of Halo to try and force people into buying XBox consoles. They’re not the only ones, Sony and Nintendo do it too, it’s the nature of trying to make people buy your console.

Microsoft doesn’t really care about people being able to play games on Windows. If anything, I think they’d make people incapable of playing games on Windows operating systems if they thought they could get away with it, as an attempt to force people over to XBox. This, in turn, is why I think Valve is making the Steambox and trying to make games compatible with other operating systems in the first place. They see the risk to their business in relying on Microsoft to care about video games enough to continue supporting them on PC. Steambox and support of other operating systems means they have ways of maintaining their business should Microsoft screw them over.

#4 9 months ago
  5. deadstoned

Microsoft are keen on keeping PC Gamers pissed I feel. Their best effort is porting 10+ year old games to Steam, their worst is shit like GFWL and bullship Windows 8/DX11.1 exclusive nonsense.

They keep saying “we’re doubling our efforts” every year and nothing happens. I would love some Microsoft executive to poke his nose in a PC gaming arena like Dreamhack on stage and feel the hatred for once as hes boo’ed off stage at the mention of Halo Spartan Ass, Project Sparkle or DX12 Windows 9 exclusivity.

#5 9 months ago
  6. salarta

@deadstoned I didn’t mention it or link to it in my prior comment, but at one point Gabe Newell blasted Microsoft for Windows 8 architecture making it harder for people to make games for PC. As far as I know, he said this before the heavier emphasis on other operating systems and announcement of the Steambox happened, which leads me to believe the other OSes and the Steambox are precautionary measures due to Microsoft failing to support PC for games.

I understand that Microsoft is desperate to break into markets they don’t have a part in, it’s why they entered the console market, but it’s pretty stupid of them to let an existing market die just for the sake of trying to encourage people to join the ones they’re trying to join.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Jerykk

I’d like to believe that MS isn’t stupid enough to waste the easy money that Halo on Steam would provide but they have a history of making idiotic business decisions. Halo 1 and 2 were already ported to PC years ago. Steam doesn’t even require that you support your games so MS could just throw them onto Steam without adding support for widescreen or modern OSes. It would cost them less than $1000 to do this and would generate many times more than that in long-term revenue.

In fact, MS has a huge library of older games that they could throw onto Steam and easily profit from. Freelancer, Starlancer, Halo 1&2, Motocross Madness, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness, Crimson Skies, Impossible Creatures, Shadowrun, Flight Simulator, Black & White, Gears of War, Rallisport Challenge, The Movies, MechCommander, MechWarrior 4, Fury3… tons of PC games that people would gladly buy on Steam. But nope, MS instead gives us crap like Fable 3 and Lococycle.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Altered Beast Reborn

Keeping Halo on the XBOX is the only sane decision if they want to insure hardware sales. They would have to be stupid to bring it to PC!

#8 9 months ago
  9. Kreion

@salarta

For all that I’ve seen that reported adinfinitum, I have never seen any actual evidence as to why Windows 8 was worse for gaming than 7. I’ve looked around maybe I just haven’t seen it – but all I see is people bitching without any evidence to back them up. As for Gabe -do you really think I’d trust the man who goes “This OS is worse for gaming!” just before he announces his own OS? Marketing 101 people.

And I’m not saying I trust Microsoft either – they want to make money just like any other company – but let’s be real here, why would they ever port it to PC? Look at all those Sony exclusives on PC- Oh wait. Console first parties have absolutely no reason to port games to PC, it would be idiotic for console devs to throwaway all of their exclusives like that.

I would also remind you that there are a lot of PC exclusive games too, each platform exists to perpetuate itself, not other platforms. Get that into your head.

#9 9 months ago