OnLive’s CloudLift service will let you play Steam games on any device

Wednesday, 5th March 2014 17:00 GMT By Matt Martin

Onlive has launched CloudLift, a new cloud gaming service to play PC games downloaded from any digital store – starting wth Valve’s Steam – on any device.

onlive

For a monthly subscription fee of $15/£9.99, OnLive claims that supported games downloaded via Steam can be synced with an Onlive account and played on multiple devices regardless of spec – from tablets and Macs to Google TV and lightweight laptops.

Using the cloud save option players in theory will be able move between devices picking up the game exactly where they left off.

Games supported at launch include Saint’s Row IV, Batman: Arkham Origins and Type:Rider.

Although games don’t have to be bought from Onlive, the company will also begin selling download codes for games with a 7-day trial to CloudLift.

It has also added Mark Jung to its exec pack. Jung sold IGN to NewsCorp for $650 million and was also CEO of video streaming site VUDU.

Finally, the company has launched a beta for Onlive Go, which allows access to MMO and virtual world content via Android tablets and low-spec laptops. The service starts with a “viewer” for Second Life and will roll-out to Gaijin Entertainment’s War Thunder shortly.

1. Panthro

Mental to be offering another marketplace on top of the marketplace you already have, seeing companies taking risks like this makes me happy.

I hope it takes off for them, but I am doubtful it will.

#1 7 months ago
  2. fihar

Well, PlayStation Now just got one-upped.
    Still need to see how they actually run though but this is neat.

#2 7 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

Could be amazing…if it works.

#3 7 months ago
  4. kingy

Sounds good to me ,sony better pull their finger out and get their service out soon so far they only have USA in beta

#4 7 months ago
  5. Os Money

Was on the onlive bandwagon in the beginning, but then the company went through some crazy stuff and the service really got put on hold. No new games were being added ect. Now I see this and while it looks neat, there is only a hand full of old games that the “cloudlift” service works for. If the library wasn’t so limited I might be tempted to give it another try. For $14.99 a month I want access to more than 12-15 games I’ve already paid for. Hope they can get back on their feet, but it might be too late by the time that happens.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Fin

“Onlive has launched CloudLift, a new cloud gaming service to play supported PC games downloaded from any digital store – starting wth Valve’s Steam – on any device.”

This is completely dependent on publishers allowing their games to be used like this.
    Sony’s already got an existing library (+relationships with publishers; +existing similar agreements re ps+).

#6 7 months ago
  7. Michael Ireland

Cloud gaming is a flop idea, whether it’s on PC or PlayStation. Sony is not going to make it magically work.

People seem convinced this stuff is the future, much like VR, until they actually use it and quickly become aware that it’s little more than an inconvenience on top of already existing syst,

#7 7 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

An Interesting development …..

I tried to enjoy Onlive’s service but the lag was always just too noticeable for me, where Gaikai played and looked better but was only demos at the time.

I’m not sure that it’s worth it to me to pay $15 a month for a service that allows me to play games I already own anywhere. If I was traveling alot, this might be awesome, but I don’t.
    I am much more interested in what Playstation now offers because I don’t own any PS3 games and barely any PS2 or PS1 titles, plus the cable tv idea. For those that already own a large PS3 library, Playstation now might not be near as interesting.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Dragon

People seem convinced to disregard the notion that in future, high speed accessible internet can make cloud gaming very popular.
    Planning 10 years ahead is never a bad thing. Case in point, steam.

#9 7 months ago
  10. kingy

@Dragon 100% agree who ever can do it best now and get a user base will reap the rewards in the future

#10 7 months ago
  11. OlderGamer

I agree with Dragon.

Wha..?

Just imagine trying to explain the death of the video movie rental stores to all those people renting VHS tapes in the 80s. Gotta have vision Mr. Ireland. Vision I say. The future is full of things you haven’t seen, if it weren’t it would just be the present.

#11 7 months ago
  12. JPickford

People seem determine to conflate bandwidth with speed. Bandwidth will increase enormously but latency is limited by the laws of physics. It’s not going to get much better unless they place servers everywhere (close to the player) which will never be cost effective as you might as well be running it on your own hardware.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Michael Ireland

@OlderGamer There’s vision and there’s gimmicks.

This is not the former. The average consumer simply doesn’t want it.

#13 7 months ago
  14. kingy

@JPickford ….technology could be different in 10 years I know we are still waiting for the flying car but hey who knows 😉

#14 7 months ago
  15. OlderGamer

I don’t know fellas, I think it will work…at some point.

As far as wanting it? I do. Just has to be sensible price wise and game wise. I am not going to pay for crap. But I think down the road it could become a thing.

#15 7 months ago
  16. JPickford

>technology could be different in 10 years I know we are still waiting for the flying car but hey who knows

We aren’t going to break the speed of light. Blind faith in technology is daft when the information is there.

This is a flawed concept which will never be cost effective compared to the player paying for their own machine.

Even if the latency issue were magically fixed, who in their right mind is going to pay a subscription to play their own PC games remotely on probably unsuitable hardware (tablets etc.)

It would be like Netflix doubling their fees and restricting you to films where you already own the DVD or BLU Ray whilst downgrading the visuals to VHS quality. Not a compelling prospect.

#16 7 months ago
  17. Os Money

@JPickford Yeah tell that to dial up.

#17 7 months ago
  18. JPickford

*sigh*

#18 7 months ago
  19. Michael Ireland

@Os Money Tell that to lag, latency, data caps bandwidth throttling and near unplayable multiplayer.

PC technology and games develop at such an exponentially fast rate that any benefit from the system is negligible. More importantly, consumers have already voted with their wallet. They want their games on their machines, running on its native hardware. Not a nerfed experience.

It will be a handy thing for those who want to make use of it, but that’s next to nobody. Have fun playing a grainier looking version of your favourite old game with laggy, unresponsive controls for a day or two before your data gets throttled or you go over your data cap for the month.

Publishers are not going to hand over their games to what is essentially a rental service anyway. Its hard enough to make money in this industry as it is.

#19 7 months ago
  20. kenburkett

my Aunty Hailey recently got Ford C-Max Hybrid Wagon by working from a laptop… view website W­ o­ r­ k­ s­ 7­ 7­.­ℭ­O­M­

#20 7 months ago
  21. Dragon

“The average consumer simply doesn’t want it.”
    How so? No one knows the future. Steam was supposed to fail all those years ago (more than 10 years). Why download such big games when you can just buy them on disk?

“Tell that to lag, latency, data caps bandwidth throttling and near unplayable multiplayer.”
    3 of those things can be solved by a better internet connection, and about last point, single player games exist too.

#21 7 months ago
  22. fihar

Look, you guys are making the assumption that people are going to use this service to play games like Witcher or Titanfall on their mobile devices. They won’t.
    AAA games aren’t the be all, end all. There are a bucketload of computer and/or console games that would be suited for the mobile streaming experience.
    I doubt a lot of people watch Gravity on Netflix (or on anything less than a home theatre) but for something like Her, well why the hell not?

#22 7 months ago
  23. ChristopherJack

@Michael Ireland I disagree, it’s far from perfect but the issue isn’t the concept itself but the delivery. People didn’t think the internet could work, people didn’t believe that YouTube could work, that Netflix & Hulu would work but all of them do & do well.
    No none of them were first to attempt what they did but the way they deliver it is what makes them such game changers.

No none of them are perfect but nothing truly is, they all still work well & hopefully the bumps will be ironed out over time & that Netflix & Hulu will come to Australia- I ain’t waiting 2 years for shows to reach free to air & I will not ever support that monopoly Australian cable company Foxtel (& actually can not despite being deep into the metropolitan area).

#23 7 months ago
  24. Dragon

@fihar,
    Exactly. People who want top-tier quality, and are concerned about graphics, frame rate etc. will prefer local processing (PCs, consoles). But do “casual” gamers (and I am using it in broadest sense) care that much?
    Nothing has to die, everything can have its own market. Much like useless PC vs Console argument.

#24 7 months ago
  25. Michael Ireland

@ChristopherJack Movies and television are passive entertainment. You don’t need to interact with it the way you do with a video game. That makes the delivery and execution completely different.

PCs as a home item are going the way of the dodo anyway. The majority of people who actually want to play games on their PC are just going to buy the hardware they need to do so.

I think it’s hilarious that people think the internet is going to magically get better as time passes. It won’t. Latency will always be an issue.

#25 7 months ago
  26. Os Money

@Michael Ireland I think its funny how you think the internet hasn’t gotten better over the last 20 years. I’m sure you have a perfect grasp on how the OSI model works and specifically the bottom 3 layers. I sure am glad nothing improves with advancements in technology. lol

#26 7 months ago