Sonic Boom won’t release in Japan, Sonic Team working on its own game

Friday, 7th February 2014 11:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Sonic Boom was announced by western developer Big Red Button yesterday. It’s a sort-of reboot aimed at audiences here in the west, but that doesn’t mean Sonic Team is taking things easy. It’s got its own Sonic game in the works.

Did you miss the Sonic Boom reveal trailer, redesigned characters and details? Hit the link, friends.

If we have to make an educated guess, we’d say that Sonic Team’s unannounced title is the same game listed here for PS4, Xbox One and Wii U.

If true, that means it’s not coming until 2015, which makes sense seeing as 2014 is Sonic Boom’s year.

But what do you think? Discuss below.

Via Polygon & IGN.

1. Ireland Michael

Is this some sort of joke?

What the hell did they do to Knuckles?!

#1 6 months ago
  2. stockops3

Jesus its not that bad. Lets hope this doesnt turn into another DMC Dante bitch, least he LOOKS like Knuckles, as usual people can’t handle change.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

@Ireland Michael Steroids confirmed!

I don’t why but there is a Ratchet & Clank All 4 One vibe in the trailer.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

@2 I love change. I’m the first person to champion games taking new approaches.

I just think the designs are horrible and stupid looking.

#4 6 months ago
  5. thegrimmling

@Legendaryboss a Ratchet & Clank feel was my first call on this game too.

The only way they can make knuckles worse is giving him an offensive Jamaican accent .

#5 6 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I’m fond of the redesigns.

One of the problems with Sonic since its inception is that the characters have looked like corporate mascots, something that Mario suffers from as well, and it leaves them feeling flat and characterless.

I don’t think this really matters for Mario because the series was never so character focused, gameplay mattered more instead, and that’s fine. I think that the Sonic Universe always had more flavour than that, though, as was shown in other characters. For example, Robotnik’s reboot in Sonic Adventure was actually a good change.

If anything, I’m slightly disappointed that Robotnik has reverted a bit, but I do like his goggles. The main cast, however? Pretty great!

The game has this Wild West feel to it, that they’re stranded in this huge place with all of its ancient ruins and mysterious technologies. It reminds me of Wild ARMS 3, to a degree, which is a game I remember most for its aesthetics. It was fairly typical as MMOs go, but the setting and the way they handled the visual design of it was very memorable.

This is also very typical of Naughty Dog, who seem to enjoy settings which are rough around the edges. A number of the old Jak & Daxter guys are actually working on this, if I recall correctly. So it does have a more rough around the edges feel to it.

I also like that the characters represent themselves, now. Knuckles looks like a bruiser rather than a spritely pretty-boy, Sonic looks like a speedy desperado, Tails looks like a wild-haired gadgeteer/mechanic, and Amy actually seems respectable to boot. Amy’s redesign is one of my favourites, and I was amused that there was one point in the trailer where–due to this new Amy being acrobatically inclined–everyone drops on their backs after a fall except her.

It seems that Amy might actually have a mind of her own, now, and she might prove to be a valid foil to Sonic’s recklessness.

I think it’s a change for the better. To me it feels like they’re finally starting to come out of their cocoons, they’re escaping the lifeless husks of their old, overly corporate bodies, and blossoming into something far, far better. Kids are sensitive to this stuff, too, and they prefer a good character rather than a corporate figure. This is why Skylanders made an effort to give its characters a number of visually unique changes.

I’d like to have seen them drop the gloves on at least some of the characters, too, but you can’t have it all. At least now they don’t look quite so corporate mascot with the approach to them, since gloves were a big thing on corporate mascots. They all had them. (See: Mario.)

These gloves at least look less like that, though. Less puffy. And Tails… wow, Tails actually has medic gloves.

It sounds like Big Red Button wanted to go even further with their redesigns, but SEGA reigned them in. I would have trusted them all the way based upon these designs, to be honest. I like it. It has that characterful, rough-around-the-edges charm that Naughty Dog games were known for. I’m glad that they’re still alive, and still producing games like that, somehow.

And it’s good to see that Sonic is no longer a corporate drone. I really, really dig this Sonic. I mean, I even like him in the cartoon.

And that’s saying something. Because aside from Robotnik, I hated Sonic X.

So… yeah. Thumbs way, way up! If the 3DS version is lacking, this actually might be a system seller for me, and I may end up getting a Wii-U as well. I do hope that the 3DS version at least mostly lives up to this, though.

Best thing to happen to Sonic in decades, in my opinion.

Oh, shush. Just because he’s not a corporate mascot any more…

I know, right? This drives me crazy. People have this fetishistic attachment to the status quo and the familiar, and they can’t stand any kind of evolution or change. It’s sad that most of the human species actually appears to be like that…

We’re never going to become anything like Iain Banks’ Culture if we don’t pull our socks up. It genuinely seems like only five per cent of the human species is progressive, and 95 per cent of it is like this big slug butt we drag along behind us, slowly introducing change to them because they’re not self aware or inquisitive enough to adopt it by themselves.

This is why publishers are selling realism, of late, because people are boring and have absolutely no imagination. It’s also, conversely, why I cling to developers like Double Fine who’re providing me with imagination.

This is actually imaginative compared to prior Sonic inceptions.

And people hate it, because it’s imaginative.

#slugbutt

I’ve actually never seen that from you. If I had, I might have more respect, because we’d be on the same page. However, many are delusional and believe this to be true about themselves whilst maintaining the sttaus quo and favouring things to remain the way they are, unquestioned, whilst actually claiming the opposite.

That’s my beef with many games, these days, is that they’re homogeneous by their very nature, and lacking in character. My complaint about Thief, for example, is that it’s just a Dishonored clone instead of just being its own thing. That disappoints me. As I said, I’d even be happier with the reboot if they had a different ethnicity as their lead character as opposed to just doing the usual videogame thing and having an Aryan character have the leading role. That’s just about the same as everything else.

Same for BioShock Infinite, it’s a beautiful thing which is turned into a soulless shooter just to uphold the status quo and appease the masses. I feel that BioShock Infinite deserved to play more like Myst or The Wolf Among Us, where the intrigue could be slowly revealed, where you could lose yourself in the setting. But no. It has to be a shooter. Status quo.

And yet I never see you complain about things like this. So whilst you may believe you’re progressive, I’ve never witnessed it.

And have you questioned yourself as to why you think they’re “horrible and stupid looking?” Do you actually have reasons to believe as you do? I’ve provided why I like them. So why do you dislike them? At least they represent a greater degree of visual variety, instead of just being homogenised corporate mascots, who’re all almost identical aside from some minor differences in their features.

I dug this as soon as I saw it. I honestly can’t understand why anyone who’s actually a fan of the IP wouldn’t.

So, yeah. Not buying it. Sorry. You seem about as progressive in your thought about as much as I love neo-luddism.

The only way they can make knuckles worse is giving him an offensive Jamaican accent.

The only way. They can make Knuckles worse. Is to give him a different ethnicity.

Yeah.

My work here is done.

#6 5 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Er. Fairly typical as JRPGs go, mechanically, regarding Wild ARMS 3. Though very different aesthetically. Also forgot to include a video link to it. So I’ll do that!

It’s really very interesting compared to the usual JRPG. I love that setting. I wish there’d been more of it.

#7 5 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I miss the edit feature. But yeah, Wild ARMS 3 has me reminiscing, now. It’s sort of like Ghibli in how it dared to be different. There’s a lot of homogenising in Japanese media, too, but every now and then you actually do have something that dares to be a bit different.

Probably the same reason I was a shameless One Piece fan, for a while, despite that I don’t very often go in for animes like that.

I like seeing people trying something different, something a bit clever and unusual. That’s what I see Sonic Boom as. And I’ll embrace that change until I’m shown that it’s bad, but it really isn’t always. Not every change is for the worse, and I think that this is going to be a historically important game for the series. If it’s successful, SEGA might allow their characters to become even more characterful than that, turning away from corporate mascots completely.

And I’m now thinking of how much I want these designs in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing as designs I can buy. I understand why Knuckles would be difficult (due to the change in body size), but the others really shouldn’t be. Then again, maybe they could just give them entirely new vehicles as DLC. I would very much buy that DLC.

It’s an exciting time, honestly. I think so, anyway. I’m glad to see SEGA changing. Maybe it’ll lead the other old dinosaur (Nintendo) to evolve before it dies, too.

#8 5 months ago