The Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer is full of web-slinging action

Thursday, 23rd January 2014 13:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has a new trailer available showing the superhero title in development at Beenox.

The game builds on the story of the previous game with an alternative take on the events of the upcoming movie.

Like the previous version, it contains a free-roaming mechanic and will make use of a “Hero or Menace” system, which incentivizes Super Hero behavior by rewarding the player for fighting crime. Alternatively, if you let crime in the city get out of hand, there will be consequences.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game releases alongside the feature film this spring for 3DS, PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One and Xbox 360.

1. Gheritt White

Chances of this being any good?

(please be good)

#1 6 months ago
  2. Tormenter

Wow.. Deja-vu.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Ireland Michael

@1 Its a movie license game published by Activision that is being developed on a shoestring budget and based on a brand that they’ve already ditched the rights to.

So no, probably not.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Panthro

Meh, the last Amazing Spiderman movie game wasn’t all that bad in comparison to other movie licensed games.

I actually managed to finish it.

#4 6 months ago
  5. melonbuster1

@5 I liked it as well. . Very good. So I will try out this one

#5 6 months ago
  6. Spider Law

@1 I hope to God that it is. The other entries were playable but nothing Amazing, as a really true Spider-Man game could be when done with TLC.
    I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man enough to complete the trophies/achievement list. So, hopefully this is as good at very least, but my hopes are for better.

@4,5 Me too.

#6 6 months ago
  7. yeoung

looks like a proper update to Spiderman The Movie: The Game 2, which frankly I’m totally okay with.

One please.

#7 6 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

It’s supposed to have the web-swinging mechanic from the second Spider-Man movie game. Which is totally awesome.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Spider Law

@8 Really? That would be glorious!

#9 6 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I think it’s outdated at this point to think of movie licenses as being automatically bad. The first game was hands-down the best Spider-Man game I’ve had the joy of playing since Ultimate Spider-Man.

And not only that, but they did clever things with the control system. It was the perfect marriage of actually being enjoyable to play and not swinging on clouds. Though I have heard of console owners complaining of that, so… platform differences, maybe? I don’t know. Still, when I got to central park, I couldn’t swing higher than the trees, and I could only swing as high as the tallest nearby building.

And unlike certain prior Spider-Man games, it wasn’t an exercise in masochism, it didn’t make me want to stab forks into my controller (and I rarely get that irritated by games unless they’re truly masochistic). I like actually playing the game, not playing the controls, so to speak. It’s the same problem I have with WoW. If I’m sitting there staring at a spreadsheet of names, healthbars, metres, and whatnot then I’m playing an interface. That’s not enjoyable to me. I like playing games.

I still agree though that the cloud swinging was immersion breaking. I didn’t really have a solution to suggest to create the perfect middle-ground until Beenox came up with one themselves. And the parkour in it is simply joyous. It’s up there with the best superhero games, including the likes of Crackdown, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Saints Row IV, Hulk: Ultimate Carnage, and so on.

In fact, if there is one sole caveat, it’s that the petty crime missions weren’t very varied. They needed to concentrate more on that side of things. Not too much, just a little more. And I wouldn’t even want to see more, either, as I feel that the content balance was perfect and the shorter length of the game avoided that sensation of grinding that’s become so unwelcome in modern games. So… more variety.

But other than that? No complaints. And… the feel of it. It’s sublime.

It’s hard to describe and you won’t understand unless you play it yourself, but it caught the fantastic element of it, what it is to be Spider-Man. The bizarre angles of view when climbing on a building, or speeding towards the ground only to zip away with a web at the last moment. It was divine. I don’t know that a Spider-Man experience could be perfected much beyond that — so now I just want more variety and more story. And I want them to do it as well as they did with the original.

I’m looking forward to this.

#10 6 months ago
  11. TheWulf

I very much hope you’re wrong, for the reasons I’ve stated, or at the very least that it’s an option. I won’t go into why, as I’ve covered that above, but it would ruin the game for me if that was the only way to play it. I don’t want a fantastic experience to feel like a sadomasochistic chore.

#11 6 months ago
  12. TheWulf

Oh, and I will add that I’m definitely not advocating Assassin’s Creed style gameplay, here. That’s just the opposite extreme. I find both extremes to be… extremely off-putting.

Try holding one button in Spider-Man to run into a battle with anything other than the most basic foes, and using one button to defeat them. You won’t get very far. It requires timing, observational skills, and using the right moves at the right time. It also requires an understanding of how stealth systems work. If you’re good at that, the game is actually pretty easy, but still, you can’t ‘one butan’ it like you can with Assassin’s Creed.

That’s my problem, really. People tend to go for extremes, I prefer moderation. I don’t want to have to snipe every web shot to swing, I don’t want that. I also don’t want it to be like Assassin’s Creed. As I said, I think that the first Amazing Spider-Man really struck the perfect balance between the two.

I wish more games could do that, it’d help them be fun rather than annoyingly hand-holdy or masochistic.

Everything in moderation.

#12 6 months ago
  13. YoungZer0

@9: Yep!

@10: Pretty sure you mean The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, not Carnage, which is quite frankly the best superhero game ever made.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Takeshi

@13 Uh, that article gives me a bit of hope. Seems like they have some idea of what things to improve on. :)

#14 6 months ago