DICE: Frostbite 3 “truly takes advantage of the next gen machines,” Bach talks up engine’s future

Monday, 6th January 2014 11:42 GMT By Dave Cook

DICE executive producer Patrick Bach has discussed the long-term ambition for the studio’s Frostbite 3 engine, stressing that its going to take full advantage of what next-gen consoles are capable of.

If follows the filing of a second class-action lawsuit against EA over disputes regarding Battlefield 4′s quality. Hit the link to see what’s got the legal eagles so mad.

Speaking with OXM, Bach said that starting work on the engine early has helped DICE gain a technical foothold, “I think we made the right move a couple of years ago when we actually started, a couple of years before Battlefield 3 was even announced, we said what do we want games to be five years from now?

“And we can see now that the level of “next gen”, if you want to call it that, on Frostbite is pretty stable. We’re still, I would argue, one of the best looking next gen games – I don’t want to say the best-looking next gen game, but we have an engine that truly takes advantage of the next gen machines.”

The interview was conducted- pre-Battlefield 4 release, and interestingly Bach forewarned about bugs in the code. “If we’d wanted to play it safe,” he said, “we wouldn’t have created a new version of Frostbite – we would have stayed on the right side of the fence. We are trying to push things as far as possible. That doesn’t mean you will have loads and loads of bugs, of course.”

Loads indeed. But as DICE continues to chip away at its long bug-list over time, Bach reminded the world that engine development is equally as evolutionary, and that Frostbite will change and improve over years to come.

He concluded, “Talking about an engine as a finite thing in space and time is slightly misleading. Engines are constantly in development and they’re constantly changing. And that’s something you particularly see with Frostbite, there’s a lot of under the hood stuff that goes on, so it’s a constantly evolving animal. There are all these things from all those different game studios being rolled back in. It’s never going to ‘run out’, per se.”

What do you see for Frostbite 3′s future? Let us know below.

1. slk486

I think you should read that sentence about bugs again. Assuming the quote is correct, then he isn’t saying what you seem to think :)

Haven’t tried BF4, but Rivals looks really good on PS4, so Frostbite 3 is definitely capable. More important is how art design is wielded, though.

#1 6 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

Bach didn’t forewarn about loads of bugs, though. It says in the quote: “That doesn’t mean you will have loads and loads of bugs” Why would he downplay his team’s shiny new engine by warning it was buggy as heck – those rebelling shareholders would have been handed a peach!

#2 6 months ago
  3. Malmer

Question is, how much of the Battlefield problems are related to the Frostbite engine and how much is game specific?

#3 6 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

That’s indeed a key question. As far as my feelings about their new engine, given its 0/1 and holding all their other production up – Gotta laugh at the idea that they should be praised for delivering a game of appreciable quality and workmanship months after everybody who did has paid in to play. Maybe they’ll do like Square Enix with FF…No, even I can’t see that happening from EA lol- show me some new shit on this fancy new engine. Does it make the games better? So far, it’s proven to make them worse. Not a great start!

#4 6 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

I’ve stopped playing BF4, great game ruined by a premature release. The bugs are/have been gamebreaking.

#5 6 months ago
  6. fengato

I’ve been lucky to avoid most bugs – and I gotta say that I do feel like I’m truly experiencing ‘next gen’ when I play BF4 on PS4 (especially on the map with the tropical storm). As a console only gamer, I’m relieved to finally feel like we’ve left 2006 behind. Looking forward to a time when companies can forget about continuing support for 360/PS3 and focus on really pushing things forward.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Edo

Don’t fuck up Mirror’s Edge….that is all.

#7 6 months ago
  8. noobman

Bf4 is by far the worst game in the series, they nerfed the game even more compared to bf3.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Harrow

Patrick Bach is full of shit

#9 6 months ago
  10. NocturnalB

I don’t really see BF4 as “next-gen”, I view it more as the best of what the outgoing generation had to offer. It was created In a format so that it could cover all of the major platforms. I don’t think we’ll start seeing truly breath taking next-gen visuals and minimal problems for at least 2 years. Can’t wait.

#10 6 months ago
  11. jberg

just before I looked at the draft which had said $6145, I did not believe …that…my brother realie bringing home money parttime from there labtop.. there neighbour has done this 4 only 18 months and just now cleard the loans on their home and bourt a brand new Audi Quattro. read original site>>>>>Bay91.COM

#11 6 months ago