Wildstar comparisons to “dated” World of Warcraft are “flattering”

Thursday, 12th December 2013 21:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Wildstar developer Carbine Studios is honoured to have the new MMO’s art style compared to World of Warcraft, since the Blizzard MMO has stood the test of time despite its age.

Art director Matt Mocarski told Gamerzines that comparisons between Wildstar and World of Warcraft’s art styles are welcome.

“This is me being very sincere. In one part, and even when I think it’s meant as a jab, I actually find it flattering because WoW has been out for nine years now, right? And there’s still people playing it, and it’s still a beautiful game,” he said.

“Sure it’s dated, but it has lasted nearly a decade and people still love it. The art has evolved over time, but Blizzard created a great foundation for a style that could last that long, because it’s about the craftsmanship and the art of it, not the latest new graphics or high-tech tricks.”

Mocarski said he’s aiming for a style that is distinct and unique to Wildstar, and that although at first glance the two may seem similar, putting the two games side by side really shows the difference between Blizzard’s work and Carbine’s “more cartoony, more exaggerated and more colourful” look.

Carbine tried not to be too “reactionary”, he added, and decided to plough ahead with its chosen style despite the inevitable comparisons – which, he added, often fail to mention other similar styles.

“I thought that more people would mention Team Fortress 2. Some people even mention Ratchet & Clank, and we didn’t even think of that,” he said.

“I hope people don’t say, ‘Oh it’s just a WoW clone’ and don’t even give Wildstar a shot. It’s almost like Coke and Pepsi, they look like the exact same soft drinks but when you taste them they are completely different.”

Carbine said earlier this year that it hopes Wildstar hopes to “fill the void” for people wanting a hardcore but accessible MMO at a time when World of Warcraft is shedding subscribers.

The MMORPG is expected in the first half of 2014. It will be supported by subscriptions, but players can earn time in-game, something like EVE Online.

1. FoureyesZero

When Wildstar inevitable fails and goes f2p i will try it.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Mineral4r7s

I really have high hopes for WildSTar but the only 8 or so less buttons really scares me =/

As I Really love all my buttons in WoW.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Darkfield

Let me clarify that I’m looking forward to get my hands on WildStar like crazy and I know that a lot of things in WoW is dated. But, it is still lots of fun, the diversity of classes and play styles is huge there are more than just one class for multiple roles, a lot of content to delve into with variety of difficulties for everyone from casual Friday gamers to raidoholic hardcores who raid almost every night. Bottom-line it is still the best game out there in terms of responsive and functional gameplay and those things evolved as the game aged. A lot of games tried to be like WoW and a lot of them failed.

Still, looking forward to WildStar and EQN.

#3 11 months ago
  4. TheWulf

It’s all about the aesthetics.

I’m not sure about WildStar as a game, but the aesthetics are pretty rad. At least, when they’re not having trees jutting out of hills at weird angles because lazy design people.

This is more similar to Ratchet & Clank, honestly, than WoW. Just because two things are cartoony, it doesn’t mean that they’re the same. There’s a peculiarity to WoW that I don’t like, it’s… oddly washed out, slimy, and dirty. And the art assets aren’t exactly top notch any more, and some of the new stuff feels phoned in.

It’s like comparing a cheap Nickelodeon cartoon with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I definitely prefer the aesthetics of Wildstar, honestly. They’re linked to better memories (Ratchet & Clank). It’s sad that people today look at something cartoony and immediately link it to WoW, as if there’s but one, sole, Universal aesthetic for ‘cartoony,’ when in truth there are thousands.

The same thing came up with Torchlight, too. Bugged me then, as it does now.

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheWulf

That’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

Design ethic #1 for MMO developers should be: Play the GAME, not the UI. I want more MMOs that aren’t the equivalent of poking a spreadsheet, thanks.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Erthazus

@5, You just don’t know how to play MMO’s and especially World Of Warcraft where you actually play the game. Where you actually use all these buttons in PVE Raiding or PvP arena’s.

I’m sure for 100% that you don’t have a character in WoW in Armory that has good progression where you actually killed bosses in current pre-patch difficulty on hard mode. So, basically you can have “Zero” opinion about World Of Warcraft’s battle system or UI.

#6 11 months ago