Gears of War creator keen on arena shooter for PC

Wednesday, 11th December 2013 23:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Cliff Bleszinski is cooking up ideas for a first-person arena shooter on PC.

“I have a slide deck, I have a pitch, I have concept art, I know pretty much what I want to do,” the Gears of War creator said on the Pointless podcast, as reported by Polygon.

“It will be a PC experience that will hearken back to a certain type of game that we cut our teeth on, if you know what I’m saying.”

What kind of experience is that, you may ask? A first-person shooter unlike the most popular ones on the market today.

“A lot of these kids playing Call of Duty, I don’t think they know what a proper arena shooter is,” Bleszinski added.

Probably because proper arena shooter’s don’t sell 35 million copies, but Bleszinski doesn’t care about publisher sales expectations.

“I don’t want to work with the old guard, per se. I’ll talk to them, have meetings. But the last thing I need is some mid-level marketing guy telling me that ‘well, traditionally, this doesn’t sell well, so we’re concerned,’ and all that. Because they’re all rearward-looking, and it just drives me fucking batshit,” he said.

The former Epic Games designer has been teasing a project in the concept phase called Silverstreak, but it isn’t clear if this is the same title. Bleszinski doesn’t have a development studio, although he noted in the podcast that he feels he could manage with a small team – like the four-person crew at Hello Games, which showed off No Man’s Sky to great applause at the Spike VGX.

[image]

1. POOhead

cliffy is pretty much jesus in the gaming media

#1 4 months ago
  2. POOhead

[comment deleted, user banned]

#2 4 months ago
  3. absolutezero

Is anyone keen on him actually doing it though?

#3 4 months ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Figures. That style of game is perfect for MTs now…

#4 4 months ago
  5. FoureyesZero

Amazing news i have been waiting for years for a proper arena shooter.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Panthro

God why wont this guy just fade away into obscurity, he acts like such an asshole.

#6 4 months ago
  7. ddtd

@2 – What the…

#7 4 months ago
  8. sho0ok

@2 haha I liked the jews comment, and I agree with you :)

#8 4 months ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

I spend so much time in Rocket Arena for Quake and Quake 2.

#9 4 months ago
  10. dexfx69

No Cliffy. Just…NO. What we need is, Unreal 3 Single Player with great Multiplayer.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Zana

All talk…

#11 4 months ago
  12. mariaroze

my friend’s mom makes $63 an hour on the computer. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her payment was $18465 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://www.cash29.com/

#12 4 months ago
  13. CycloneFox

I wish I could seeUnreal 3 Unreal Tournament 4 with an SDK (unreal editor) at some point again.

#13 4 months ago