Torment: Tides of Numenera vote decides in favour of turn-based combat

Monday, 9th December 2013 02:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Torment: Tides of Numenera crowdfunding backers have voted for inXile to implement turn-based combat rather than a real-time with pausing system as seen in spiritual precursor Planescape: Torment and many classic CRPGs.

At the end of the poll it opened last month, inXile found its backers were almost perfectly divided on which combat system they preferred, with 48% plumbing for turn-based and 47% opting for real-time with pausing. According to a Kickstarter update, almost 20% of all backers voted, leaving over 2,000 comments.

The developer described the tiny margin as resulting in “essentially a draw”, and went with its gut in selecting turn-based combat, like stablemate Wasteland 2.

“We were leaning toward turn-based combat because we believe it’s better suited for the kind of tactical complexity we’re looking for through our Crisis system. We believe it’s a stronger fit for bringing narrative elements, including dialogue with NPCs, into hand-crafted combat situations,” inXile wrote.

“We have decided to go with turn-based combat. Ultimately, there are no losers here.”

The developer said that it has ‘not been looking forward to disappointing half of its backers’, but said that it found that many of the complaints levelled against turn-based combat are things it believes it can counter with good design.

In the rest of the lengthy update, inXile addressed some concerns raised by fans who voted for real-time with pausing, running the gauntlet from the vague and tetchy (“turn-based can be tedious”) to logical sunding but inherently unconvincing (“it should be the same as Planescape: Torment”). Click through for inXile’s full reasoning.

Thanks, Darkfield.

1. makan.net

Better idea:
    Ignor both and implement fps combat system.
    let cod fans be happy :)
    =======
    I prefer turn based rather than the others.

#1 8 months ago
  2. The_Red

Really REALLY happy about this. Turn-Based FTW!

Nah, that’s Bethesda’s school of thinking.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Darkfield

@2 Agreed on both accounts! :D

#3 8 months ago
  4. Gheritt White

Balls, I detest turn-based action so I guess this game is no longer for me.

#realtimewithpause4life

#4 8 months ago
  5. Hunam

That’s really disappointing. Has kinda put me off now :(

#5 8 months ago
  6. Darkfield

@Gheritt why? Out of curiosity of course. They are not going to put you in front of hordes of enemies and according to the update 26 you’ll sense it when you’re getting into fight. It’s not like there are enemies on every corner. Besides, real time with pause isn’t really a good approach to party based tactical RPGs, you have to micro-manage everything anyway which makes you pause a lot on each encounter. It really is better TB.

#6 8 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I’m with #2 on this.

I hate realtime with pause because I have poor sight. Why is that relevant? In a turn-based system, you can take your time to plot out your strategy (like with, say, Disgaea), but in a real-time system you’re trying to micromanage a billion tiny little things and it makes my eyes bleed.

I’m not into micromanagement, it’s not my thing, it’s not fun to me.

In the Neverwinter Nights games (as much as I loved them, 2 especially), I just picked a character and ran with them and let the AI do the rest. I did that until a true turn-based mod came out for each game, and then I started enjoying the encounters rather than rushing through them (hoping they’d end quickly).

I guess micromanagement is for others. And there are plenty of games like that out there! It’s funny, because micromanagement folks may be in the position I was in. They’ll be waiting for a mod to make it real-time with pause. Since the engine obviously seems capable of both, I can’t imagine it’d be too long until someone makes a mod.

Edit: Another reason I’m not a fan of realtime with pause in this sense is because it becomes like an MMO. You want to hotbar stuff for quick access rather than using the gamut of a character’s diversity, and you’ll want to queue things up in advance.

That feels like WoW, where you’re standing in front of a mob, and everyone is setting up their hotbars and queues.

I’m not saying it’s wrong. It’s just very much not my kind of thing. I’d rather it be turned based so I can take the time to look through a spellbook at my leisure to find the perfect something to fit the moment, rather than just rushing.

Even with pause I find that sensation of rushing is relevant. That’s why they added hotbars to NWN. I removed those after I got the turnbased mod because they just weren’t necessary any more.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Neroist

For those that are worried about the turn based system. You should try or remember Temple of Elemental Evil PC game. TOEE had everything wrong with it, but the fighting is still today the best out there. Turn based combat in TOEE was better than any IE game out.

#8 8 months ago