Forza 5 microtransactions will be monitored, adjustments can be made, says Turn10

Wednesday, 27th November 2013 09:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Forza Motorsport 5′s microtransactions and the grind required to purchase top-tier cars has caused a degree of backlash this week. Turn10′s creative director Dan Greenawalt has responded to claims that the studio pared back the game’s content to allow for a paid economy.

It follows my own opinion blog on Forza 5, during which I raised questions about the Xbox One racer’s paid boosters and over-priced vehicles.

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has also commented on the issue, stating that the company is still learning when micro-payments are concerned.

Now, in an interview with Shacknews, Greenawalt addressed concerns and discussed Forza 5′s credit-based progression system.

The site asked Greenawalt what players should expect from Forza 5, if they want to finish everything the game has to offer and reach the ‘top’ without spending an extra penny. He replied, “The expectation is that different cars are more expensive and that makes them more rare. Because of the classification system, there is no ‘top’ to the production classes.

“Currently, we have some players earning lots of credits and some players earning not nearly as much. This is a skill and strategy-based economy with rarity provided by in-game price, not locking mechanisms. Players can receive +65 per cent payout for playing against the hardest skill level Drivatars, up to +50 per cent bonus credit payouts for turning off the assists, and up to +35 per cent payouts for sticking with a favourite manufacturer. That’s +150 per cent bonus based on skill and strategy.

“When you couple that with Drivatar rewards, UGC payouts, and Forza Rewards (our franchise-based loyalty rewards) there are plenty of ways to earn credits in Forza 5. However, the fact remains: racing, skill, and strategy are the engine of the economy. Of course, we continue to monitor the economy via customer feedback as well as in-game telemetry and we have the ability to make adjustments should it be warranted.”

Have you experienced Forza 5′s payment model yet? What do you think of the issue? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. naffgeek

I think it is a F2P model they are making you pay a AAA price for because it’s a launch game and they know people will buy it.

#1 5 months ago
  2. DiodeX

or not as it came “free” with launch Xbones

#2 5 months ago
  3. dsr

And now, their faithful will once again proclaim: “See? They ARE listening!”, and then get back to gobbling up the shit what’s thrown in their faces.

Support developers, not accountants.

#3 5 months ago
  4. mistermogul

@3 – It’s funny that they have to keep listening in the first place after taking mis-step after mis-step, rather than just getting it right in the first place.

For a whole bunch of clever people at MS, they sure seem to be quite stupid.

#4 5 months ago
  5. derpachu

I had respect for Turn 10 now just blehh

#5 5 months ago
  6. Lloytron

They are still learning about microtransactions?

They’ve been doing it for years! How much time do they need to learn such things?

#6 5 months ago
  7. fengato

Learning what they can get away with. Short sighted, M$.

#7 5 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

Achievements in all games should win you some sort of digital currency, which you could use on MTs in other games.

Just an idea…

#8 5 months ago
  9. DrDamn

@G1GAHURTZ
    That’s quite a good one though :). You’d end up with lots of cheap games making money purely because they hand out Achievements like confetti though.

#9 5 months ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

lol! I’m sure the devs of those games wouldn’t complain, though…

It would keep people buying and playing more games in general, I suppose.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Djoenz

Thats genius! It would make extensive gamescoring and trophy whoring something worth going for.

#11 5 months ago
  12. manamana

@G1GA go, patend it – it’s a great idea :-)

#12 5 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

lol!

I think I’d rather let someone else do the hard work…

#13 5 months ago
  14. Lloytron

@G1GAHURTZ Thats not such a bad idea. I know Uplay is generally scorned but I liked it because it actually does that. Get some Uplay awards and you can unlock things in game, or even in different games on other platforms.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Asgaro

The console ecosystem is so messed up…

- Overpriced digital distributed games
    - Micro transactions in AAA games
    - No frequent patches because of the cost to deploy them + the long verification period at Sony/MS
    - Multiplayer gaming will never be free again starting this generation
    - “Sales” are a joke

The more I read about this “next-gen” era, the more I’m glad I’m staying with the PC platform. And the more I appreciate Steam.
    At least Valve isn’t being evil with their Steam platform and multiplayer gaming will stay free.

I see big chances ahead with the Oculus Rift experience only working as intended on the PC (needs constant 60 FPS to work comfortable), and the rise of Steam Machines (open platform).

#15 5 months ago
  16. manamana

#15 +1

#16 5 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

Nice idea from GHz, I think it could work with some careful moderation as it would turn the entire console library into an economy. I see more pros than cons though.

I wonder if we’d see achievements attached to microtransaction usage? Or perhaps you could simply cut out the middle-man and buy achievements! After all, there’s been a market for people to pay for others use their account and earn cheevos, this way Microsoft (or whoever) would get the money rather than some less-than-minimum-wage digital farmer.

JM

#17 5 months ago
  18. Cobra951

+1 to GHz from me too. :)

A lot of decent comments here so far. I have little to add. Still “learning” about MTs? Yeah, right. You mean you’re still learning how to put out the fires when customers come at you with torches and pitchforks.

#18 5 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

It’s not the microtransactions that need to be adjusted, it’s the game. Reduce the grind, expand the feature set. The game is half what the previous one was.

The game was designed intentionally around pushing microtransactions, and that’s what matters here.

#19 5 months ago
  20. karma

Screw that. I will never buy a game featuring microtransactions. I wont even play a F2P game with them, so they can monitor all they like, but I will never buy Forza 5.

#20 5 months ago
  21. bradk825

I think they went too far with DLC offering, and offering shortcuts via real money. The only way to unlock cars should be playing the game.

That said, I think comparing it to F2P is pretty silly. F2P wouldn’t have 120 cars that you can unlock without paying a dime.

#21 5 months ago