MGS 5 likely to have “small inconsistencies”, Kojima says

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 01:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Meta Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain may have some small canonical inconsistencies with the rest of the series, something creator Hideo Kojima sees as somewhat inevitable.

Speaking to Kotaku, Kojima said MGS 5′s position in the timeline – after Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, but before Metal Gear Solid (and, in fact, the original Metal Gear games, pre-Solid days) means it will probably contain details which don’t gel perfectly with other titles.

“I’m pretty sure that the guys at Star Wars had the same issues. When you try to write something that was supposed to be in the middle there will be some inconsistencies when you go into very small details,” he said.

“The most important part is writing something that is fun, something that is impressive, something that is better than it was before. So sometimes in the interest of doing this, of having a better experience, we sacrifice some consistencies in the story. I hope the fans and players understand this, but I need to write the best we can, even if there are some small discrepancies.”

Metal Gear Solid 5 was confirmed as a two part release last week; Ground Zeroes is a prequel to The Phantom Pain and will be released separately.

1. Clupula

Now, THIS is what makes me start to worry a bit about this game.

But it depends on how big an inconsistency it is. If it’s something that doesn’t fit, storyline-wise, with the MSX titles, then that’s not that big of a deal, as I expect them to be remade anyway.

On the other hand, if it reveals that The Boss is also Raiden’s mother or something like that, then we’ve got big problems, Kojima.

#1 10 months ago
  2. absolutezero

Small inconsistency in Kojima-land basically means you should prepare your anus.

#2 10 months ago
  3. DeVitowned

Fission Mailed.

#3 10 months ago
  4. redwood

so like.. he “knows” about the inconsistencies,, but won’t fix ‘em?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

No, it just makes you a bad writer.

This is MGS though. Bullshitting your way through the story is kind of par for the course. It’s okay, the nanomachines will fix it.

#5 10 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I don’t actually think that canonical consistency is important between games.

And weirdly, this is coming from someone who’s spent time as a lore nerd, but I suppose that’s where my perspective came from. I watched so many people who tried to create objective overviews and timelines of games, buzzing away like little worker bees, without ever stopping to question the nature of their work.

This isn’t how historians do it, so why is it approached this way by lore nerds? Lore nerds would make for bad historians.

I suppose one of the most important points of revelation was how lore nerds took to the Myst series. Essentially, when Uru came out, Cyan declared that a number of things that people had taken as absolute truth weren’t actually so. In fact, Uru stood in direct contradiction to a number of things, including prison books.

This isn’t to say that all consistency is bad, however. As it is sometimes very necessary.

I would be the first to tell you how important consistency is to an ongoing story, for example. Because that’s happening now, and the foundations of reality are cemented by being able to believe that all events going on now are actually going on now, with no errors. That’s a relevant part of immersion.

However, with games that jump between time frames, it’s not important. When I look at Myst, I look at Myst I-IV as Atrus telling stories to Yeesha about her youth, and perhaps embellishing a little and revelling in artistic license to spice up his story. So the prison books are proper prison books as they are in Uru, but Atrus makes up stuff about them to make them sound more interesting.

With history, you have numerous people telling stories about history from different perspectives. This means that you have to analyse numerous sources to even begin to get a clue of what really happened, and even then you only have very biased, very subjective views.

I don’t know if total consistency between creative works is possible.

Though I do like it within the same game for the reasons mentioned, because if the game is actively contradicting itself within the same environment, then it removes any sense of continuity. That’s one thing I really dislike about MMOs. Between games, though? Well, they could simply be stories told from different perspectives. However, if one storyteller can’t keep his own facts straight, then he’s a bad storyteller.

But I can accept that one person told a tale of one moment in history, when someone else told a tale of another. So inconsistencies between games aren’t so big of a deal. There’s so much subjectivity in how our minds work that we can’t really say that anything is completely objective, historically speaking.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Obernox

You’ve created a time paradox!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

FISSION MAILED

#8 10 months ago
  9. Beta

Small inconsistencies like the fact that Big Boss has somehow changed his voice?.. Yet nearly every other actor is reprising their role.

Sorry.. I couldn’t help myself :P

#9 10 months ago
  10. Gekidami

They already did this in MGS4, Vamp for instance, in MGS2 can walk on water and run on walls, his origins were clearly super natural. In MGS4 Vamps lost most of him abilities, he now wears those FROG soldier boots which allows him to stick to walls and he’s invincible because of nano tech. Hilariously, despite everything Snakes seen, when Octacon points out that Vamp has to be immortal Snakes says that this isnt a video game and that supernatural stuff doesnt exist.

The plot at this point is a mess, has been for ages. May as well take it lightly and just enjoy the game play. I mean i dont see why not, we do that for loads of other games. Vanquish & Bayonetta for example, their plots are a load of crap.

#10 10 months ago