Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One uses Kinect for leaning, yelling “MEDIC”

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 23:50 GMT By Ewan Miller

Battlefield 4 will be making use of the Xbox One’s “higher fidelity” Kinect by allowing you to lean around corners using only your head, once Kinect figures out where you’re sitting. Additionally, you’ll be able to yell “medic” to the Kinect which will then use the “medic” voice command in game, so you can speak without actually being heard.

In regular Battlefield 4, you can peek out from behind cover by aiming down the sights in really specific spots, which might be more natural with head control? It’d be rad if headtracking allowed you to look around while flying a jet or something, but I’m not sure that’s the kind of head tracking Polygon’s story refers to.

Does leaning around corners seem like a good enough reason to sway which console you’re picking BF4 up on?

Thanks, Polygon.

1. mal617

Sweet

#1 10 months ago
  2. noamlol2

ok it has some benefit of communicating with those without a headset
    ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR they could just buy a headset

still it’s a cool feature, maybe the new kinect won’t be so bad

i could be wrong, but i know for certain that the kinect 1 was a lousy beta device

#2 10 months ago
  3. FuntimeBen

Considering both those features are already in the game – your character leans when behind cover and you can select calling for a medic with the contextual menu, I think it is cool they are at least trying to incorporate some of those features into your experience. The other thing which requesting the attention of a medic does is that enemy can hear the request as well – so voice chat is still the way to go.

#3 10 months ago
  4. BrahManDude

maybe, it is cool that they are at least trying to use the new tech to differentiate versions

#4 10 months ago
  5. TrickyAudio

I wonder if this could be incorporated into the PS4 version too as the DS4 has the in built mic/speaker and can do basic voice commands with PS4.
    I only ever used my old Kinect for voice stuff. Basically being lazy..

#5 10 months ago
  6. xXNapsterManXx

Oh yeah the Lean Wicked bean this is what Kinect needs to be used for, wonder if anyone is playing around with headtracking.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Super Girevik

Leaning using your body seems more natural than auto-leaning. But I wonder if the gamer is allow to lean at any moment or only around corners. It would make gun fights a bit more interesting :D

Tracking your head to look around the cockpit of a jet or helicopter would be sweet. Makes me wonder what else they could implement in the future.

I wonder why DICE didn’t include this feature using the Sony’s camera.

#7 10 months ago
  8. ddtd

I think the point of shouting medic and having Kinect do the command in game is to let everyone that’s a medic on your team hear the command. Remember, the in game chat is limited to your squad. The whole team doesn’t here your voice.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Danihausen

INSANE BF4 BUG, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIbJOkNATNI

#9 10 months ago
  10. ysleiro

@Ewan Miller in Mass Effect one would read an abbreviated response. Sheppard would then say a long winded version.

Some responses were even one word responses and Sheppard would say a long sentence.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Erthazus

@9, That guy need to update his fucking drivers. That’s it.

It’s not a bug.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Phoenixblight

Haha trying to get views because the person recording this forgot to update their drivers?

#12 10 months ago
  13. Doppleganger

They said it will have head tracking for first person vehicle driving. Thats a HUGE bonus for flying planes as we all know how hard it was to look around in first person mode for BF 3

#13 10 months ago
  14. bobnice

Ok so the article is being a little critical. But I see it being useful for those players not in a squad who may not be in chat and may be low on health who could just be looking for the nearest medic on the team. Just saying the word “medic” is far more immersive and quicker than pointing your crosshair at a medic after looking around for one and pressing the command button as was the process in BF3.

#14 10 months ago
  15. bobnice

@10, exaclty. Sometimes the command would be simple and what shepard would say would continue or extend what your command was. For example. If someone asked shepard to get lost…your kinect spoken command would be, “watch your mouth!” And the in game response from Shepard would be, “the last guy who spoke to me like that is eating his lunch through a straw!”

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ewan Miller

@14@8 I had totally forgotten the in-game voice chat was limited to squad, I’m so used to using Mumble or Vent. In light of that there totally is a reason to use this.

Additionally the Mass Effect half lines sounds pretty cool, I can’t say I ever played that game with Kinect. I wonder how their trials of you simply saying the lines and Shepard being cut out of the picture altogether went, assuming they mocked that up.

#16 10 months ago
  17. polygem

that’s great because anyone who puts a kinect on the tv and connects it to the internet really needs a medic.

#17 10 months ago
  18. CyberMarco

@17 Oh, I see what you did there! ;)

#18 10 months ago
  19. truth

Me: MEDIC !!! Kinect………launching nuclear strike :/

#19 10 months ago
  20. VibraniumSpork

I find DICE’s lack of faith in the Playstation Camera disturbing >_<

#20 10 months ago
  21. se7e11

At first I thought “hey that’s a nice idea”. Finally some proof how kinect 2.0 might be worth the skrillah.

However after a few seconds I realized you could easily do it without head tilting regardless of which console it is on.

I could run up to the corner and say “lean out”. or more organically I could run up to the wall and tilt the controller slightly to lean out. Then tilt it back to lean in again.

I train MMA and boxing several times a week so my head takes a beating, what I don’t want to have to do every seven seconds is have to tilt my head quickly back and forth. It might not seem like a big deal but it can painful on the brain.

#21 10 months ago
  22. freedoms_stain

Might be useful for people playing solo, but it would get annoying/spammy if it’s on and you’re trying to use voice comms with your mates.

“What class are you?”

“Medic”,

Kinect: “MEDIC!”,

“shit no, I don’t need a medic, I was just saying I’m a medic.”

Kinect: “MEDIC! MEDIC! MEDIC! MEDIC!”

#22 10 months ago
  23. papershoes

From the article: “The voice commands really confuse me. If you’re going to go through all the effort of speaking, especially loud enough to be heard by a microphone a few feet away, why not just use the in-game voice chat? Why speak only to activate pretend speech inside the game? It seems like a bit of a defeatist feature to me. Reminds me of Mass Effect 3′s Kinect, where you could say Shepard’s next line out aloud only for Shepard to repeat it.”

Not everyone hears your voice over the microphone, but everyone hears in-game-voice-coms unless they play with their TV muted….

#23 9 months ago