Ubi ends Uplay Passport program, makes Assassin’s Creed 4′s online features free

Thursday, 31st October 2013 20:11 GMT By Phil Owen

Some folks were none too happy about Ubisoft walling off single-player elements behind an online pass, and the company is responding today by granting all players the Uplay Passport for free and canceling the program entirely for all future titles, Ubiblog says.

Here’s the statement from Ubisoft explaining the situation.

In Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, “Edward’s Fleet” is an innovative online single player feature that allows players to interact with multiple players on consoles or via the game’s companion app. Every new copy of Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag includes the Uplay Passport code needed to unlock this online feature. However, we listen to our community and understand that there are concerns over some players’ ability to access this feature, so we have decided to eliminate the cost of the Uplay Passport for Black Flag. This ensures that everyone will be able to use the companion app, Edward’s Fleet, online multiplayer and available bonus content at no additional cost.

Gamers currently without a Uplay Passport for Black Flag will be able to download one for free from Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. For those who have already purchased Uplay Passport for Black Flag, please contact your regional Ubisoft support.

What’s more, Uplay Passport will not be a part of any future Ubisoft games.

This is a good thing.

1. Xbone

We won.
    Ubi can suck my D.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Francis O

LOL, don’t ever do that shit again Ubisoft.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Hcw87

The sad part is most of the whiners that complain about this practice either:

A. Buy the game new anyway, therefore the Passport and content is included.
    B. Don’t buy the game at all.

#3 11 months ago
  4. prudislav

Thing is this wasnt main problem i had with it – problem was locking fleet management to online only which probably stays :-(

#4 11 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

Well… I’ll admit to being quite surprised.

But I’m not complaining. Online passes were the stupidest thing to ever come out of this generation.

#5 11 months ago
  6. DSB

But Uplay is still there though, right?

“So we won’t give you the plague, but we’re still kinda in love with cholera”.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@7 I don’t really see the problem with uPlay if its entirely optional. I personally enjoy the whole unlocking stuff using points from other games in their catalogue idea. Its a fun little activity.

Locking single player content into online functionality is utterly stupid though.

#7 11 months ago
  8. DSB

@8 Except it’s not.

If it’s optional, then why does it run whenever I try to play a Ubisoft game?

I feel that bundling crapware really requires some sort of justification.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@9 Its not like you’re being forced to access it though. It’s just kinda there in the background.

#9 11 months ago
  10. DSB

@10 Okay, and why?

It’s my PC, I’d like to know why I have shit running on it :P

I’m not my grandma. I can’t have 50 popups and malware junk apps and chippendale studs dancing on my desktop and not question the validity of said applications on my device.

#10 11 months ago
  11. JimFear-666

What about past games like splinter cell black list?

#11 11 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@11 That’s a slight over-exaggeration of what it is.

I can’t speak for you, but I enjoy these additional activities outside of the main games themselves. Stuff like Auto Log, Companion Apps, etc.. They just don’t particularly bother me.

#12 11 months ago
  13. DSB

@13 I agree with that, but I don’t see even a shred of that functionality in Uplay :P

Fair enough if people want to enhance the experience, but to me Uplay is the epitome of a program that has no reason to exist.

“But it gives us little things in the game” – Which could just as well be there when you start, or be unlockable without you ever having to leave the game proper..

I think it’s a case of a program that was once meant to lock down games with the strictest possible DRM. Then Ubisoft lost their audience because of it, and now it’s forced to live its unlife as a zombie that no one knows what to do with, because no one at Ubisoft has the balls to finally say “We fucked up”.

“Oh look, a complimentary jpeg of the gameworld”. How would they ever deliver such an amazing treat without the glorious splendor of the Uplay client. Tell me Michael. Tell me, please! :D

#13 11 months ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

@13 When it’s behind a proprietary system that I don’t want to be bothered with, and there are existing proven methods to do the same thing without the proprietary system; then yes, I do pause in my purchase, while I consider the likely purpose of said system. Said pause tends to serve as a swift prelude to b). (as posted above)

@14 Right with your pov.

Also, much like GFWL – and goodness knows what will effectively be LOST once that packs up – being another instance where a competitor appeared with scarce regard other than to “compete” by simply being present.
    While we’re on this track, fuck Microsoft and the unholy mess they’ve left to their former “partners” to sort through in the wake of their half-assed machinations! :( There’s a licensing limbo ahead, where alternate provision hasn’t been made.

#14 11 months ago
  15. CaptPierce

About time. Hopefully they make all previous online passes free of charge too.

#15 11 months ago
  16. The_Red

It’s like Ubi started to use its brain and realize how the online pass system was helping no one. The second-hand consumers wouldn’t want to pay extra 10 for a some random campaign feature and pirates would probably unlock the whole thing via some root program.

With EA, Ubi and Sony backing off, there is some hope that this disgusting system could go away forever (Or at least until publishers decide to punish second hand consumers again).

#16 11 months ago
  17. noamlol2

then i’ll MAYBE rent it now

or borrow from a friend, after AC3 ubisoft ain’t gonna see a dime from me