New Super Mario Bros., Super Luigi Wii U Deluxe Set to replace Nintendo Land bundle at retail

Wednesday, 23rd October 2013 14:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo has announced a Wii U Deluxe Set bundled with New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U on one disc. The new configuration will sell for $299.99/£249.99 and replaces the existing Wii U Deluxe Set in North America and the UK which included Nintendo Land – but the game can still be purchased separately in stores and as a download in the eShop for $29.99. The bundle releases in North America on November 1 and in the UK November 8.

1. VibraniumSpork

Hitting the UK too apparently. Great deal, though £200 would be – for me – the real sweet spot.

Getting more and more tempted by the day to pick one of these up…maybe next year.

#1 10 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

This seems a bit weird as Nintendoland is prob the best ‘pack in’ to show off the pad…

NSMBU is a great little platformer IMO, maybe not filled with the freshest of ideas but it controls like a dream and is always fun in multiplayer.

I would have thought a better ‘pack in’ would have been;

Nintendoland & NSMBU or
    Game & Wario & NSMBU
    Wii U Party & NSMBU

Then let people download the luigi levels if they want…?

Still, whichever they do the Wii U has gone UP in price which is stupid. Many retailers were hitting the £149 sweet spot with games included like Zombi U etc… And that was afew months ago now…

£249 is just slightly too much IMO.

#2 10 months ago
  3. polygem

i bought my 8gb wiiu for 199 euro and that´s imo exactly the sweet spot price the 32 gb with a game bundled would sell so much better.
    299 euro isn´t too bad for a game bundled wiiu but it´s still too much it seems.
    i´m with VS, i think 199 is a sweet spot – for impulse buyers too. i mean it was the same for me. i bought one at launch, then i sold it and then i saw that shiny 8gb one for only 199 smiling at me and i went home with it before i even realised that i just rebought a wiiu…good part is, i haven´t regretted it ever since.

#3 10 months ago
  4. DrDamn

Agree this is odd. Nintendoland is perhaps the only examples they have produced themselves approaching innovative use of the pad.

#4 10 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@3 Know this seems like a silly question but if you buy a WiiU with a game in the box, are you good to go? I wouldn’t need a mix of Wii Wands and Pro Controllers etc.?

#5 10 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Yep, good to go.

The only thing you may have to do is a system update (external HD is handy, but im still using my 32gb), register your Miiverse stuff and you should be good to go.

Wiimotes are a must (I was lucky as I had a few from my Wii), but not essential to get you going. I actually prefer the Wiimote / nunchuk combo for some games (it’s perfect in Pikmin 3 for example), but other games like NSMBU & Nintendoland are great on the Tablet. Every game is playable on the tablet and most feature off screen play which is nice.

In the premium pack, you also get a HDMI lead and Sensor bar (Im pretty sure they are in all bundles), then, your off! :)

#6 10 months ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

@6 Lush, thanks for the intel dude! Important to know about all the additional expenses to factor into the equation; seems you can never just buy a console these days, if you know what I mean :D

#7 10 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

No worries! I know exactly what you mean! :)

The Wii U is pretty good on that front, the only gripe is the update and that it takes away a bit of Hard Drive space.

Just so you have an idea, on my 32GB Wii U, I have this installed:

Pokemon Rumble
    Game & Wario
    NS Luigi Bros.
    Cloudberry Kingdom
    Sonic Racing Transformed
    Animal Crossing Plaza (App)
    Art Academy
    About 5 SNES games
    10 NES games
    Tank Tank Tank

And I still have a little space.

Not bad really! :)

I buy disc copies usually so I don’t really need to upgrade.

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

Not all games in Nintendoland are playable with just the regular tablet controller. Some are multiplayer only and therefore need some Wii-motes, some require Wii Motion Plus for the Wii-motes too.

I think the support of Wii-motes and other controllers has been a little bit of a clusterfuck to be honest. Better than it was at launch, but an added complication to a confusing machine. They should have included one in the box.

#9 10 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

@9, @6

Oh yeah, Dr. Damn is right on that one. For multiplayer stuff, more pads are needed. But, thats kind of par for the course. :)

Don’t listen to Grandpa above too much:

“Oh im soooo confused, how does this doohicky work?! whats going on?!”

jokes!!! :D

#10 10 months ago
  11. DrDamn

I was referring more to support across games etc rather how does it all work. For example support for the pro-controller in NSMBWU was added as a patch and not supported at launch, not sure if Nintendoland supports it at all? The way on the title screen NSMBWU asked you to press a button the main controller doesn’t have. That sort of thing.

#11 10 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@8 Nice. I can certainly imagine getting into a full-on nostalgia trip for the first few weeks of ownership and grabbing a bunch of NES/SNES games (before heading onto Wii stuff like Mario Galaxy). So much catching up to do…haven’t owned a Ninty since the Gamecube >_<

@9 I can see what you mean. As a 'new customer' it's difficult to know exactly what additional controllers would be needed (without the help of the fine folks of VG247 of course ^_^).

#12 10 months ago
  13. DrDamn

If you like the Lego games I can thoroughly recommend Lego City Undercover. The open world in it is stupendous. Me and my boy have put well over 100 hours in (just snuck over 90% complete).

#13 10 months ago
  14. VibraniumSpork

@13 Cool, would definitely give it a go – I’m prone to the odd Lego game (picking up Lego Marvel for PS4 launch)!

Also keen to try Scribblenauts Unmasked and The Wonderful 101. Despite what some people say I definitely still find the WiiU’s exclusives to be a real draw, especially at a time when pretty much every other game that comes out on other platforms involves stabbing/shooting people in the head. Don’t get me wrong, I like that, but sometimes I feel the need to just play in the sunshine for a bit, y’know? WiiU looks all about that.

#14 10 months ago
  15. polygem

no sensor bar, charging cradle in the basic version…
    i have a 1 tb external hd connected to my white wiiu and it works great.

@vs: the snes nes stuff combined with the pad is awesome. i hope we’ll see more games. i would also love gba and ds games for the virtual console.
    i would always recommend buying a 3ds more than a wiiu but that doesn’t mean that i don’t enjoy the wiiu as well.
    it really became my no 1 choice to surf the web as well.

“pretty much every other game that comes out on other platforms involves stabbing/shooting people in the head. Don’t get me wrong, I like that, but sometimes I feel the need to just play in the sunshine for a bit, y’know?”

that’s exactly what i like about the nintendo consoles, they offer a lot of feel good games that just make me smile.

#15 10 months ago
  16. XanderZane

Is this was the 32GB Wii U version? If so, then that’s not too bad of a deal. If it was $250, it would be better though. If there weren’t any new Next Gen consoles coming out, I’d probably consider this. If they keep this same bundle into Spring of next year, I might consider it. Right now PS4 & XB1 will be eating up all my dough. I still have to get Christmas and birthday gifts for my family as well.

#16 10 months ago
  17. pcbros

I guess this throws out any hope for a Super Mario 3D World bundle…

#17 10 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

@DrDamn

Btw, I hope I didn’t offend you, was only pulling your leg! :)

#18 10 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

I agree with you guys nintendo land is the best game that shows the possibilities of the assymetrical gameplay only possible on the WiiU, it is really strange, i understand that more bundles are better like the zelda one, and heres hoping for the 3d mario bundle.

#19 10 months ago