The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds tweaked for 2DS, harder mode unlocked upon playthrough

Saturday, 19th October 2013 21:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma has been talking about The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds quite a bit recently, mainly about difficulty levels, the number of staff working on the project and how the game had to be tweaked to look right on 2DS which released last week.

First up, in an interview with German site Gamewelt (thanks, Siliconera), Aonuma revealed that he had around 90 staff members working on the game and that once you playthrough the entire thing , a higher difficulty level will be unlocked.

Then, in an interview with Gamespot, he told the site that adjustments to puzzles had to be made for 2DS players. Despite this, he is of the opinion that 3DS owners should take advantage of the tech with their copied.

“It’s not that you can’t play it with 2D, it’s just that it becomes clearer when you have the 3D effect on,” he said. “We found out about the 2DS during development, not before, and we also made changes so that we were sure that you could still play and solve the puzzles only with 2D. It’s definitely still playable in 2D.

“A Link Between Worlds is being developed with 60 frames per second, and previous Zelda titles were about half that, about 30fps. The reason for this is because the 3D effect is much more stable with a higher frame rate, with the 60fps. If it’s lower than it’s sometimes hard for your eyes to focus on the appropriate image. We think we’ve created a game that even those who found it difficult previously to see the 3D effect would be able to see it better and enjoy it more with this title.

“The game itself is designed so that it’s quite easy to play, and quite easy to proceed further and further towards the end of the game. So if you play it all the time directly in a row then it could be that it feels quite quick, and it finishes quickly, but then if you go and do all the sidequests it’s quite a long game with a lot of content.”

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds lands on 3DS in North America and Europe November 22.

1. AmiralPatate

“a higher difficulty level will be unlocked”

I hate games with lock difficulty settings. The guy who invented it should be forced to play every single game through every single difficulty setting in one sitting until he breaks down and shrivels in tears, then builds a time machine to go back in time, finds and kills himself and disappears from our space-time continuum, leaving players free to finally choose whatever setting they fucking want from the start.
    Because it is a flippin terrible idea.

#1 6 months ago
  2. SinfulKnight

This angers me. I have been waiting for a Zelda like this for a while and we finally get it and It’s made to be beaten with ease and upon beating it then a harder difficulty is unlocked. Come on, I’m an adult and this is getting annoying. I have other games to tend to and I want some challenge to my games. Skyward was easy and repetitive, that really disappointed me. I know Nintendo makes games for everyone but that seems like a play to keep gamers playing their game. Maybe if it wasn’t so easy gamers would stay playing it instead of holding their hands.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Blackened Halo

Nooo :(

#3 6 months ago
  4. polygem

I don’t replay many games. Zelda i replay. I don’t mind this at all. In my first playthrough i want to enjoy the flow of the game and want to get challenged by the dungeon design not the enemies. This is zelda not dark souls. Link between worlds has timeless artdesign. I might play it again after a few years and again after 10 years for the third tim re, still recalling the puzzles…then i turn up the difficulty.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Virginityrocks

Either just let somebody else beat it on easy first, and play it second, or look up the cheat code to unlock the damn hard mode off the bat.

#5 6 months ago
  6. AmiralPatate

Or, just leave it unlocked from the beginning.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Bringit

Whenever Nintendo introduces a harder game mode, it breaks the game. They are making changes to an experience they had already planned.

Based on that, I imagine the ‘harder’ Zelda mode is like the Wind Waker hero mode or the Ocarina of Time Master Quest. I.E. Not very good. And should only be played after experiencing it as intended.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Bowser

It’s pathetic how many people gotta jerk their own dick off about how “hardcore” they are when it comes to picking difficulty settings.

The original mode isn’t “easy” mode, it’s the ORIGINAL mode, the way it’s designed to be played. Then you can take on again with EXTRA difficulty ADDED. It’s called the Master Quest. This is a Zelda staple. Try and keep up.

#8 6 months ago