Assassin’s Creed 4 director would “love to explore Egypt” in future games

Friday, 11th October 2013 10:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag’s game director Ashraf Ismail has expressed a desire to explore an Egyptian setting in future instalments.

Speaking with Examiner, Ismail said, “The President of the company has said that we will ship an annual title, so it’s out there. We’ve been on this game for almost two years; it’ll be two and a half when we ship. I would say one of the best things we have going for us is how we can play with history. History is something that is rooted in all of us; we all have a deeper connection to it. So there’s a lot of interesting periods and time places we haven’t been to that I would to see.”

“I’m not saying we are going there,” Ismail continued. “But one day I would love to explore Egypt as a setting for this game. Ancient Egypt could be a really cool place. We have a really cool explanation for how we can do this, and it is with this Animus device that allows us to go to anytime in history.”

Ismail recently revealed that Black Flag’s modern day component will offer up between three and five hours of gameplay, so Ubisoft Montreal definitely hasn’t abandoned that part of the lore.

He added that people were surprised that Assassin’s Creed 4 went back in time after the American Revolution setting of the third game. He added, “But we’ve never outright said that we are always moving forward. It just happened to be that way because we went from Altair to Ezio, then Ezio to Connor and there was a lot of hype about the American Revolution.

“However, it was never a set rule that we always get closer to the present day. We were a bit surprised by people who saying, ‘how do you go back in time, how’s that possible?’ It’s that Animus device we have. But again, I’m not saying Egypt is where the next one is going, it’s just where I would like it to go.”

Via OXM.

1. Legendaryboss

He would like it? Its probably already happening: already in development.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Pytox

@1 probably yes and also they are working on their season pass already :p

#2 11 months ago
  3. Luciferous

Egypt would make me incredibly happy as a setting. It would be completely different to what we’ve seen before… free running over a pyramid mid-construction to assassinate a slave master whipping his charges would be sweet!

#3 11 months ago
  4. mistermogul

This would be great but I’d prefer an ancient China setting…

#4 11 months ago
  5. Hunam

Egpyt would be good, specialy if it was post Alexander, so you’d have the Egpytians and the Greek higher ups, lots of discord.

#5 11 months ago
  6. abdooltk

I wish that happen

#6 11 months ago
  7. Takeshi

@2: +1!

I am actually looking to Black Flag, I hope it’s better than ACIII.

#7 11 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

Why not use different settings in one game, with different heroes in each?

That could work so well.

They could keep the naval battle, as you play a pirate in one setting. The pirate doesn’t give a fuck about the creed and only lives for his crew and ship.

Another character is a lonely assassin in victorian london, trying to find those responsible for the irradiation of the assassins in england. The focus is completely on freerunning and the perfect kill.

The last one is leading the revolution in russia, the entire focus is on building a strong guild.

You’d have everything the people ask for. Ever character would have a certain focus on different gameplay aspects.

No wild-hunting-native-american-assassin-leader-naval-captain-trader anymore.

#8 11 months ago
  9. stx

“We have a really cool explanation for how we can do this, and it is with this Animus device that allows us to go to anytime in history.”

Meaning it’s already planned. A confirmation then.

#9 11 months ago
  10. junguler

i’m just thinking about where watch_dogs 2 is gonna take us, aiden is dead hopefully and we get to play with his ancestors trying to literally hack some door to open it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. FuntimeBen

Someone get Brandon Fraiser on the line!

#11 11 months ago
  12. vicrysty

I hope next Assassin’s Creed in ANCIENT ROME. Other excellent ideas:

War of the Roses,

Napoleon,

Feudal Japan,

Dynasty Chinese,

Spanish Armada (1588 AD),

Medieval England,

Crusades,

13th Century Mongolia (1227 AD),

the French Revolution,

The New World,

Westward Expansion (1870-1899 AD).

#12 11 months ago
  13. MadFingerz

“Where would you like the series to go? Admit it, you want ninjas and ancient Japan right? Edo period? Is it just me?”

I feel ya Dave, I would like that setting very much, especially if it culminated in the Bakumatsu which is one of the most interesting periods in history.

But then again, I don’t have enough faith on the AC’s team to deliver the kind of experience I want. Yes, they do some really cool things but every AC feels unfinished in one way or another. For me it would have to be at the hands of a team like GTA’s, a team that takes their time in fleshing up a world and fill them with all sorts of crazy details.

#13 11 months ago
  14. misterfister

I can’t jump on the Fuedal Japan bandwagon it just isn’t where I would like to see the series. Egypt is interesting but idk enough about their history to envision it.

For me, Sparta! Then probably Africa, another user suggested Rome (gladiator fights would be badass).

@13 Thats interesting. I feel Ubisoft kinda screwed themselves with the annual releases in that sense; if they were to take their sweet time to develop a game fully like GTA’s studio(s) can do rather than annually, at this point we would be stuck with an unfinished AC game for a couple years. Although, I would love to see the potential Ubisoft has with a solid 3 straight years of one AC game. It would be fantastic. Oh and AC’s graphics could be improved a bit the characters faces look like shit.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Panthro

@15 I would like a late 1800s, early 1900s great Britain…

those small narrow streets, the bridges and rooftops would make a great platformer, also the culture back then is interesting to me

#15 11 months ago