Half-Life 3 European trademark filing was hoax – report

Monday, 7th October 2013 10:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Half-Life 3 was allegedly trademarked in Europe last week, and it’s not come to light that the whole thing was a prank.

We reported on the supposed filing here.

Now, PCGamesN has reported that the filing page has now vanished from the European Union’s trademark database, suggesting it was never real to begin with.

When will this dance of rumour, speculation and spin end you ask? Whenever Valve actually talks about the game, probably.

Interestingly, I bought a bag of oranges from the local grocer’s yesterday and pulled this out:

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Are you growing impatient? Speak below.

1. Panthro

#1 10 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

I personally don’t care. It’s quite amusing to see the fans beg for a new game though.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Panthro

Sorry for wanting a sequel to a game I like.
    After all, its been 6 years since episode 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

#3 10 months ago
  4. AmiralPatate

6 years, 2 episodes. 6/2=3. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

#4 10 months ago
  5. TF_PtMaster

They wanted a new tecnology to send the new source engine. But i do believe is a long time to continue telling a story, because lets be honest, how many gamers played the game 6 years ago and still play games. And how many young gamers do know the origins of Mr. freeman??

#5 10 months ago
  6. Bomba Luigi

Never bevlieve anybody who want to tell you Half-Life 3 is coming, unless its Gabe himself.
    That much I have learned in all the Years.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Panthro

@TF_PtMaster

I think when half life 3 is put up for pre-orders; steam will crash on the same level as the first few days of the summer/winter sales.

Just my opinion/ prediction, I think the Half Life series still plays a massive part in gaming even though its been 6 years, I think the modding community shows that too.

#7 10 months ago
  8. AmiralPatate

@7 Considering people spent 8 years to remake Half-Life, I’d say you’re about right.
    And Steam would absolutely implode under the pressure.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Pitts

*shrug*

#9 10 months ago
  10. TF_PtMaster

@7 actually i do agree with you. I really want to know the end of the story.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Yeah, I’m not fussy on Half-Life either. It always seemed like a game they made for money rather than because they wanted to, as it’s definitely the most mainstream game they’ve ever made. Since they haven’t been hurting for money lately, I was wondering why they’d be producing a HL3.

Sucks for the fans who wanted it, I suppose, but I would’ve been slightly worried if it were true. I think the reason they’ve just stopped with Half-Life is because they don’t need to court the most mainstream audiences any more, and they’re just making what they want to, now.

#11 10 months ago
  12. bradk825

I can see the sharpie in the background you tease. LOL.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Panthro

You saw half life 2 as a cash in?
    Im sure if it was, it wouldnt of taken them 6 years to develop and release it, especially if they only saw it as a quick way to grab some money.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Dirk

Mainstream in what way?
    Are you confusing Half Life with Call of Duty?

I was replaying HL2 recently on hard, it’s actually hard, I was shocked at how bad I’ve become at a proper FPS, I even found myself waiting for the health/shield regen, which never happened.
    The episodes were supposed to stop the 5+ year wait for a new release, that didn’t work out.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Panthro

Yep, I would call the half life series the least mainstream but most popular FPS in history, I can talk to alot of my friends from college and I bet only 2 of them would of ever played a half life game… However I come onto the internet and the internet is batshit insane about the series, and the buzz around it is all well deserved in my opinion, Valve know how to make good games… Its just to bad they haven’t stepped up and gave up any actual details on HL3.

#15 10 months ago