Watch Dogs – 95% of missions can be completed using stealth instead of weapons

Saturday, 5th October 2013 19:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Watch Dogs can be completed almost entirely using stealth instead of weapons, according to senior director Dominic Guay.

This sounds familiar to us, but it’s worth noting again in case anyone forgot.

Speaking with Polygon, Guay said missions can be solved by either using a weapon or being sneaky.

“About 95% of missions you can completely stealth through, or flee or chase without having to shoot,” he said. “So it’s really player choice-driven. There are a very few, very limited amount of missions that will force you to kill people.

Players can try various stealth and information tactics as well through multiplayer mode, which Guay said the team still hasn’t revealed in its entirety.

Watch Dogs hits PC, PS3, PS4 Wii U and Xbox 360 on November 19 in the States, and November 22 across Europe.

It releases for Xbox One November 22 and on PlayStation 4 November 29 in Europe.

1. pcbros

I recently saw a video of this game running on a PS4 and it looks really good. Nice to see that you can choose to be stealthy as well.

I’d like to see a video of this game running on current generation hardware or on the Wii U. Curious to see how it holds up.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Quantum_Tangler

‘Course, the question is, then, will using stealth in that 95% of missions make that 5% inordinately difficult? We all remember Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s bosses after all.

#2 10 months ago
  3. TheWulf

That’s good to know. I really don’t take to games that try to present violence in a realistic, serious, believable way (unless it actually has real consequences felt by the character). That’s just me.

I had dismissed this one as a shooty-shooty game, and thus it wasn’t at all on my radar. That it looked so incredibly greyscale in every screenshot (without a drop of colour to be seen) helped too. I’m just so tired of mainstream games that do that. Why do I own a colour monitor/television again? It’s so dreary.

Of course, that might just be the marketing and the game isn’t actually that flat, but we’ll see.

Anyway, this puts Watch_Dogs on my radar, but I have to ask the same questions as #2, because I really don’t want that. I hate being put in a situation where my only choice is to kill, rather than disable and detain. I guess I’ve a superhero’s heart from reading too many comics, but that was something I actually liked about the Amazing Spider-Man. I’m a big softie, so I’m just not a fan.

If I have another option rather than killing, I’ll take it.

See, that remaining five per cent makes me tremendously leery and I’d like to know more about it. If we truly can beat 95 per cent of the game without taking a single life, why are we forced to for 5 per cent of it? That’s actually a very big chunk of content for a game like this — so just how many people are they going to force me to kill?

If I’m forced to kill 20 people, that means that the whole stealth section is redundant. Why swear off murder if you’re going to just slaughter people anyway? That’s the only thing I didn’t like about DX:HR, but in that case it was… what, four people tops? (And the last one was very ambiguous.)

Even that tweaked me though in DX:HR, where I had to kill despite never having been forced to kill in prior Deus Ex games. I wasn’t a fan of that. And I can’t see a reason why they couldn’t have put in gameplay elements allowing me to disable and detain, rather than kill.

So whilst it might be anal of me, I’d actually like a number regarding their forced killcount. I need to know how meaningless my vow of not killing will be, and if it is very meaningless, I’m just going to skip over Watch_Dogs as another shooty-shooty game, anyway.

See, I don’t understand that sentiment.

It’s all about choice, yo! You can choose to be your kind of person, whether despicable sociopathic murderer or upstanding hero. That’s all down to you, guy! Weeell… except for a chunk of the game where we force the sociopathic murderer role on you. But you’re fine with that, right? Right? 95 per cent player choice! That’s a lot of player choice! You can overlook the other 5 per cent! I know you can!

I just…

Why not make it optional throughout the game? Why have five per cent where it’s forced? That’s wilfully dumb.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Luciferous

@3 just addressing the very last part of your comment – Ubi are telling a story about revenge, you play a vigilante. the remaining 5% probably cover story elements where vengeance is attained or the protagonist is put in a situation where all other options are removed, not every scenario (in real life, games or films) has a peaceful solution.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Animeboy413

Dear Ubisoft, please answer our question is Watch Dogs 1080p on PS4/XB1?

#5 10 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I don’t find that to be a very compelling excuse, though. If that excuse held up, then both Spidey and Bats would be cold-blooded killers, but they’re not. It’s a choice, it’s always a choice, and it should be. I’m tired of games forcing the player down that path.

The issue is is that if they’re going to say that killing is a choice, it should be a choice at any point of the story, throughout the story. And there should never a point in the game where you’re just forced to off someone to satisfy some scripted event. That’s the worst kind of storytelling in video games.

In New Vegas, I even managed to talk down the general of Caesar’s Legion at the very end without killing someone. I made it through New Vegas without a kill count — and part of that was due to mods where I could knock someone out and take what I need from them rather than slaughtering them for it.

I don’t know.

I’m tired of games wanting to make a murderer out of me. And most games seem to want to do that. If it’s over the top, silly, and completely abstracted from reality I can take that (good examples being Saints Row IV, Deadpool, and Shadow Warrior). But if it’s serious, and carries gravitas, it feels real. And I just hate being put in a position where I have to pull the trigger, there.

I know the majority won’t agree, so it’s just my opinion. But I dislike games forcing me to kill. And if they say it’s my choice for 95 per cent of the game, why not make it my choice for 100 per cent of the game?

#6 10 months ago
  7. yeoung

Good, good. This is good.

Good.

#7 10 months ago
  8. KTF26

@TheWulf
    it’s for the sake of storyline
    not all games give you this choice
    most of them force you to make a massacre

dishonored is your game
    you can beat it without killing anyone
    you can even avoid the final boss without mods
    but the storyline is boring

#8 10 months ago
  9. Llewelyn_MT

@TheWulf: With all due respect, TL;DR.

@2: Exactly my point. It’s the 5% that makes the game unplayable. Sadly.

#9 10 months ago