“I want to see Half-Life 3″: Pitchford wants Valve’s resources to be spent on games, not hardware

Monday, 30th September 2013 16:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Half-Life 3 wasn’t announced last week, and Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford isn’t too pleased. He’s shared his thoughts on Valve’s new SteamOS and Steam Box announcements in a new interview.

Speaking with GI.biz, Pitchford reflected on Valve’s announcements, and lamented the company’s focus on hardware and services, instead of games like Half-Life 3.

“There has been some understanding for some time that Valve was looking at some angles in this direction,” he began, “so I imagine there was some curiosity and, with just a few folks, perhaps some concern about what they might show up with. I imagine that if I was in a key seat at one of the first parties, after hearing this news, I would probably exhale a bit and imagine that I don’t really have anything I have to worry myself about too much coming from this direction for a while.

“If I had a seat at either Sony or Microsoft, depending on which seat I was sitting in, of course, I would probably also be feeling a tiny bit better about my own decisions when I think about how I’m feeling about what I perceive Valve’s reasons and decisions to be here.”

Valve’s controller has certainly piqued Pitchford’s interest however. He continued, “I want to fiddle around with their controller. I’m curious what spectrum of propositions will be made with the specific machine offerings, but am sceptical that something will appear that leads me to think it’s a good decision to replace my PC.

“Maybe that’s not their aim – we’ll all learn more soon. But the burden to add an additional thing beyond the PC I am likely to keep is pretty high, so we’ll see if any of their machines can get me there if their intent is that these are dedicated Steam OS machines.”

Like many of you out there, Pitchford wanted Half-Life 3, not hardware. He concluded, “I want to see Half-Life 3 or other exciting and big and original offerings from these guys who are amongst the best in the world at crafting interactive entertainment and are resourced better than anyone. As long as Steam and Valve are one entity, I am always going to feel uneasy that attention and resources towards the platform is distracting attention and resources away from the entertainment they could (should?) be creating.

“I guess I am just a greedy gamer who wants to be blown away playing more of the best, new video games in the world, so I selfishly want to know that the incredible talent at Valve is spending 100 percent of their mindshare building new video games!”

What did you make of Valve’s big announcements? Did you want to see a game reveal rather than SteamOS, the Steam Box line and the Valve’ controller? Let us know below.

1. Lengendaryboss

3 questions below = Half Life 3 confirmed.

#1 7 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

#2 7 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

They should just outsource it to another dev team…

Meow!

#3 7 months ago
  4. _LarZen_

Personally I am more excited for Steam OS and the Steam Machines then I would be for Half Life 3.

I think this is a important step for PC gaming to reach more people that love games but have felt the change from console to a PC environment have been to high.

Now (hopefully) with a Steam Machine (of your choice) one can play games at a higher fidelity but still have that console experience so many enjoy.

#4 7 months ago
  5. DSB

I’d be pretty surprised if Sony or Microsoft were that worried to begin with.

At best they were looking at a shot across the bow.

But yeah, I’m more excited about the Steam Machine too. HL3 has been hyped so much it’ll have to be a disappointment.

I had kinda the same feeling about Portal 2 and that obviously blew me away, but…

#5 7 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

I want to see a new Source engine demo at least. Half-life 2 took a long time to develop and come out and it was a showstopper when released. I hope that Half-life 3 is the same. I am surprised no left for dead 3, new counterstrike, teamfortress, etc.

#6 7 months ago
  7. LOLshock94

X1> SPEEM OS

#7 7 months ago
  8. Pitts

Sure, I’d like to play it. But their current focus seems a heck of a lot more big picture than making some new game. I don’t blame them for putting it on the back burner for so long.

#8 7 months ago
  9. _LarZen_

Am I the only one who have played with the thought that Valve could bundle HL3 with a Steam Machine. And have it timed exclusive for Steam OS.

That would be a act of genius…

#9 7 months ago
  10. UuBuU

Sure ~ why bother releasing innovative and exciting hardware when you can just release a sequel to one of the most overrated games of all time

#10 7 months ago
  11. broketm

I don’t think SteamOS is aimed to compete with the Xbox One or PS4. I believe Valve wants to show that not only can you do “PC gaming” from your sofa, you don’t need a expensive OS license and hardware to do so.

Browsers have shown that if people get a choice, they will try and stay with a arguably better alternative. So far a PC Gamer has no such choice, it’s Windows with all it’s flaws or a console. If SteamOS has a successful launch, it’s better for PC gaming in general as Microsoft will have to try harder aswel to keep gamers buying a (OEM) version of Windows.

I for one welcome the option of a dedicated PC gaming device without Windows on it.

#11 7 months ago
  12. DSB

@11 Absolutely, but then Microsofts stroke of genius is also that they’ve been a mostly benevolent dictator. They’ve kept most of their dirty dealings out of the news.

The devil’s greatest trick was convincing people he didn’t exist and all that :)

SteamOS won’t be a viable alternative to Windows though, and it’s gonna be handcuffed to Windows for the forseeable future.

I think it’s very interesting that Nvidia apparently thought it was important enough to act on, so I’m not pessimistic going forward. It’ll just obviously be a while before we arrive at a true independent gaming OS.

#12 7 months ago
  13. spazman

half life is the greatest FPS franchise ever made so far. Steam is a library – a tool, along with that fucked up controller, just a distraction to the main business at hand.

#13 7 months ago
  14. rusty_shackleford

And Borderlands fans wanted Borderlands 2 to not have $130+ dollars of DLC.

#14 7 months ago
  15. Kreion

Because you stopped your series half-way through for no good reason? And only the controller is innovative – Steamboxes are not in and of themselves. I mean they are literally just PC’s…innovation right? -.-

#15 7 months ago
  16. UuBuU

@15 The absence of another Half-Life game is no great loss to gaming. Mediocre series at best.

And yes ~ I would consider bringing the PC gaming experience to the living room quite innovative. It’s sure as hell a lot more exciting than the so called next gen consoles with their crappy gimmicks

#16 7 months ago
  17. DSB

@15 I guess they should’ve annualized it huh? :P

Personally I respect the fact that Valve doesn’t release sequels until they’re good and ready. The only fly in the ointment so far is L4D2 which was and is terrible.

The way they’re set up, they’ll discard any halfmade game they’re working on if it turns out to be less than good. I think it took them something like two or three tries to arrive at Team Fortress 2, and it seems to me like they made the right decision.

I was thrilled when I saw previews of the initial military-style build, and I was pretty disappointed when it disappeared with not as much as a “Fuck you” – but arguably what they ended up with is so much better.

All good things come to those who wait. In the meantime why not enjoy some AssCreed and EA Sports and CoD.

#17 7 months ago
  18. vampyren

Totally agree, this project wont make the cut anyway specially with PS4 + XB1 on the corner. As all other so called consoles that are going to be the next big thing this is nothing more than a PC with a new controller but sorry not interested. Give me HL3 and i will buy it. Stick to what you are good at!

#18 7 months ago
  19. Lounds

Heizenburg is that you?

#19 7 months ago
  20. YoungZer0

It’s Heisenberg.

#20 7 months ago
  21. TheWulf

I couldn’t disagree more. Valve hasn’t ever done a bad thing, regardless of their focus. I remember when people were freaking out about Steam, and that turned out to be one of the best things to happen to the PC (indie support and the Workshop et al).

Then they focused on getting support to other platforms, like Linux and OS X, and that worked out well too. You could buy a game and own it across all platforms. And then there was the Big Picture mode, which is really great if you’ve got a computer hooked up to a TV.

And yeah, Valve has some pretty great games, too. A lot of that though is that they’re one of those ‘mainstream mutants’ I talk about. They’re a privately owned developer and they tend to do their own thing, regardless of whether it would actually be popular or not. They take risks. See: Portal and Team Fortress 2.

That’s what makes Valve… well, Valve!

I wouldn’t have them any other way. I want them to be this crazy hackerspace, rife with creativity and new ideas, ready to shift all of the paradigms. They remind me of Google in that respect. …a lot of Google in that respect.

See, Google is a hackerspace, too. So you have crazy ideas coming out of it like Google Glass and self-driving cars (which are consumer-ready today). Whilst people wouldn’t buy those things today, they might be ready by around 2020, when the rest of the world has caught up with Google. So Google is always working on these ‘future projects.’

Valve is a very Google-like company.

So Valve can continue to be crazy and do whatever they like, and I’ll watch with interest. This is how they need to be, like I said, they’re a creative hackerspace. We wouldn’t have any of the interesting things they’ve created, otherwise.

#21 7 months ago
  22. TheWulf

I think you’re wrong, there. After Windows 8, I believe both PC users and PC builders are looking for an alternative. Here’s the funny thing, though: If Valve helps out with open source projects to create a DX 11 compatibility layer for Linux via Wine, one with around 90 per cent accuracy for around the time of launch of SteamOS…

Well, let’s just say that this provides PC builders with a Windows 8 alternative which is likely completely free to them and more attractive to their customers, because they know all their customers hate Windows 8.

I could actually see this as the future. You just have to be more forward-looking and aware of what’s going on.

#22 7 months ago
  23. Lounds

L4D2 was graphically an improvement but the VS mode lost its competitiveness L4D was so much fun “NO DON’T USE YOUR MED KIT” (only can see B&W) lol

#23 7 months ago
  24. TheWulf

Pretty much. The only reason for Half-Life was to tide them over until Steam was bringing in enough money for them to do what they wanted to. I’ve mentioned this before, but Valve is a rather special company, because as a privately owned company by Gabe Newell, their agenda isn’t always ‘the most profit in the most efficient way.’

Gabe clearly has his own ideas about what he wants to do with Valve and he doesn’t have to answer to anyone in that environment, there aren’t any shareholders to dictate terms to him, thus Valve isn’t forced into developing Half-Life 3. When they start running low on money they may actually put their foot down and get it out the door, but considering that they’re currently very stable I can’t see it happening soon.

See, the mainstream looks at Valve and expects another Half-Life game. As consumers, they believe that they’re entitled to it, and that it’s Valve’s job to provide. Sure, that’s true with publically traded companies, because they just want to get stuff out there for the mainstream to consume in order to appease their shareholders.

Valve can do whatever the heck they like.

And more power to them!!

I’m actually glad that Half-Life 3 isn’t an immediate concern for them, because it means they haven’t changed. They’re developing HL3 in an almost hobbyist way, with no need to get it out the door because profits. So they’re taking their time, and focusing more on projects which may yield nothing, or may change the nature of gaming forever.

For that, they’re definitely one of the most interesting companies out there. I continue to be intrigued by them and I love hearing about what crazy thing they’re going to do next — because they can.

I hope Valve never stops being Valve.

#24 7 months ago
  25. DSB

@22 Hence why I’m not pessimistic. But if it was easy to do, they would’ve done it already.

It was my hope that they wouldn’t launch until they had.

But if Nvidia are serious about getting involved, then things will really start to move.

#25 7 months ago
  26. Lounds

@24 very true. Look how long we waited for the HL mod remake and it was amazing.

#26 7 months ago
  27. RageOfThorn

Heres the big question, who gives a rats pink ass what Randy and company think anyway. He can talk games and judge other companies when he actually makes a decient game.

My advice, stop worrying about HL3, and concentrate a bit more on your own assets. How’d it go with aliens?

Devs seem to fear innovation and change, and aside from boarderlands this guys projects didnt bode well this gen. I would wait 15 years longer for HL3 if it ment it wouldn’t EVER turn out like Duke Nukem Forever did.

Sorry Pitchford, your opinion means nothing to me at this point.

I actually am impressed with Valve at this point, taking their time, daring to innovate in a market that could go stale if changes don’t occur.

Im excited for Steam machines, and lovd the concept of the Steam controller as well. If HL3 turns out better for the wait, so be it.

#27 7 months ago
  28. Telepathic.Geometry

Ha ha, fuck Randy Pitchford. I guess he’s a nice guy one-to-one, but everything he says is 100% PR. If he’s saying this, it’s because somehow it’s good for his company, and that’s it.

I think affable guys like Randy who appear to be into gaming and are good speakers make the perfect corporate spokespeople, because people don’t remember that they are selling something.

After all of his bullshit about Duke Nukem and Aliens, I don’t know how anyone would trust this lying corporate mouth-piece. I’d love to know his real opinion, but that will never happen.

#28 7 months ago