Valve to reveal Steam Box reference design this afternoon, Source 2 on Friday – rumor

Wednesday, 25th September 2013 15:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve will be making the second of three announcements today regarding whatever plans it has in the works in a little over two hours. And as with anything pertaining to Valve making an announcement, Source Engine 2 has popped up.

According to an “anonymous” Valve employee posting on 4chan – and snapped by Reddit – Valve will supposedly show off a schematic for its Steam Box which will be running SteamOS and uses Nvidia’s streaming tech.

It won’t be a finished product, but the designs shown will outline how upgradable the hardware system will be, and it may even announce official partners.

Here’s what the supposed Valve employee said on the matter, courtesy of Tom’s Hardware:

“It will support all hardware. All CPUs, all GPUs — from three generations ago at the oldest for Nvidia, two for AMD and all going forward. The release design, however, will have a Nvidia GPU and an AMD CPU. It will use regular PC parts, however, there will be a certification program. We have to guarantee some sort of baseline performance – if there’s analog out, then the audio must not crackle, PSUs that are small won’t burn your house down, small cases without retarded branding, low latency wireless networking, etc.

“You are free to build an 800 pound glowing monstrosity if you wish, and it’ll work, but that’s not really what we want you to do. There will also be prebuilt and bundled solutions.”

While that covers today’s reveal, and isn’t far-fetched considering Monday’s announcement, Friday, the firm will supposedly be showing its Source 2 game engine which will work with Linux, Windows and OS X and maybe even PlayStation 4 eventually.

It Valve does indeed show off Source 2 on Friday, it’s possible the game they will show running on it could be the fabled Half-Life 3. You would like that, wouldn’t you? Note, I said: “could be”. Stranger things have happened.

Anyway, as with all things anonymous, take it with a grain of salt until something is officially announced.

Valve made the first of its upcoming living room announcements on Monday regarding SteamOS, Beta Hardware, and Big Picture Mode.

It has also opened up a Steam Universe community hub.

The counter clock can be accessed through this page, and we’ll be keeping an eye on things for you as well.

Thanks, Splatteredhouse.

1. DSB

That definitely sounds very plausible.

I’d be surprised if they showed off Half-Life 3 with Source 2. That would be very un-Valve of them.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Pytox

oh my ;D

#2 11 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Indeed. I honestly don’t expect it. But, I have heard “rumblings” myself on the matter – but as is the usual with rumblings, they can just be a truck rolling down the highway instead of an earthquake.

#3 11 months ago
  4. yeoung

I’ve always been a console gamer, don’t know too much about Linux, but for some reason I’m pretty excited about this. :D

#4 11 months ago
  5. Yoshi

If I’m honest, I don’t see a Valve employee doing this unless it was intended and approved by Valve to get the hype up. Not too mention most of this is very very likely.

#5 11 months ago
  6. noamlol2

the importent thing about the hardware that it needs to be very optimized for games

people wouldn’t want to swtich every 2-3 years hardware because developers are too fucking lazy

also will all Windows titles work on this box? or just the linux games?

#6 11 months ago
  7. loki

total fail

#7 11 months ago
  8. reask

Stupid question.
    I have a PC that wont run games.
    Will this do it for me?

#8 11 months ago
  9. Max Payne

@6 Steam OS will just run linux games but it can stream games from Windows or OS X.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Phoenixblight

SteamOS can’t play WIndows games you would have stream it from a device that can in your house.

Only in the sense of whatever games SteamOs supports natively.

#10 11 months ago
  11. reask

Thanks.phoenix.

#11 11 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

If they release info on Half-life 3 I would be amazed. I could see them showing a demo of the source engine or a left for dead 3, maybe a portal demo of the tech as well.

Now if someone would only make a Source 2 version of Vampire:The Masquerade Bloodlines or a true next game like it. It was one of the best source games for sure.

#12 11 months ago
  13. sebastien rivas

If Steambox can stream games from my steam on my laptop and workstation onto my TV then I am excited!

good wish for Vampire, that was good game and I wish for a new sequel

#13 11 months ago
  14. Phoenixblight

You would need to have SteamOS on your laptop and TV to do so. This steambox is a the device under your TV and you will only be be streaming locally.

#14 11 months ago
  15. DSB

@10 There’s been no information on whether it will or it won’t. All they’ve said is thousands of games.

Apparently Steam is only offering just over 2000 games for sale right now, so the implication of that would seem to be that most are covered.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Fin

SteamOS will not play Windows games. It’s a Linux-based. Best best best case, it could play them through Wine.
    It’ll almost certainly be restricted to only being able to play Valve games and Linux games natively.

#16 11 months ago
  17. sebastien rivas

Let me get it straight.
    I have steam on my Laptop and my workstation, both of which have a load of titles to be downloaded if I wish or others already downloaded and playable.
    If I buy a steambox. I assume I can use my steam login and password to download games already present in my library, am I right?
    Now comes the dilemma of windows versus Linux but I expected that Steanux or Linux version of valve/Steam would enable to use windows games via … I don;t know… an emulator or some sorts?
    Am I dreaming, if yes then let me know the process. I cannot believe I would need a dual OS on my laptop and/or my workstation just to stream games to my steambox, downloading a Steam patch to execute the process of streaming windows to steambox yes but not 2 OS. It is just too redundant.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Fin

No you’ll not need a dual OS. You’ll be able to stream Steam games from any Steam client to SteamOS.
    You won’t be able to play Windows games on SteamOS.

#18 11 months ago
  19. sebastien rivas

I wish I can then load my game keys from steam to steambox as more respective games become available on Steambox

#19 11 months ago
  20. pcbros

We should find out very soon more details. T-Minus 00:40:00…

#20 11 months ago
  21. sebastien rivas

Aaaarrgghhhh, it’s too looonnnnggg…. :)
    Just kidding but still, hate staying in the blur

#21 11 months ago
  22. Phoenixblight

@DSB

What are you talking about? its right on the page

“You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have – then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!”

#22 11 months ago
  23. ddtd

@18 He’ll be able to stream a game from his Windows Steam client to his Steam OS computer (Steambox or custom built) as long as its on the same network. Or, if there’s a Steam OS version, download it to the Steam OS machine and play it natively.

#23 11 months ago
  24. ddtd

@18. Huh, that’s exactly what you said.

I think #17 is confused when PC and OS X is mentioned.

To clarify my last post; you can Stream any Windows or Mac games “that are run through you Steam client” on the hosts machine. If it’s Origin or GoG, then you can’t stream it.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Stephany Nunneley

25 more minutes – these things really stress me out. :D

#25 11 months ago
  26. Erthazus

SOURCE 2 PEOPLE :D

#26 11 months ago
  27. pcbros

00:23:00

#27 11 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

Steam Engine / Gabe Cube incoming!

#28 11 months ago
  29. Stephany Nunneley

@28 Gabe Cube – :D

#29 11 months ago
  30. TheBlackHole

@25 Stress YOU out.

I have to drive home at 6!!! The whole way not knowing what’s going on.

WHAT’S GOING ON!!!

#30 11 months ago
  31. DSB

@22 My bad!

Well, that kinda sucks.

#31 11 months ago
  32. monkeygourmet

I can’t take the credit for that :) :

#32 11 months ago
  33. Stephany Nunneley

@32 :D – What is with the knife?

#33 11 months ago
  34. Erthazus

I expect some butthurt Plystation fanboys after this announcement. Oh boy. Can’t wait for it.

:D

#34 11 months ago
  35. pcbros

Here’s hoping for a great Deal of the Day and an even better announcement #2! :D

00:13:00

#35 11 months ago
  36. monkeygourmet

Apparently Gabe is quite the knife collector?!

Do not mess with this guy! :)

#36 11 months ago
  37. monkeygourmet

Nothing like seeing a fanboy deflate! ;)

#37 11 months ago
  38. pcbros

Predicting a deal with Alienware!

#38 11 months ago
  39. Erthazus

@37, Haha. Monkey :D

Btw I always read your texts here. I’m not replying always to you but anyway. You are doing a good job with fanboy control xD

#39 11 months ago
  40. Phoenixblight

No one will be butthurt. Playstation users have all those exclusive games where PC just gets ports from Multi Platform devs. Hardly any exclusive PC game is worth picking up a PC for and Valve won’t be stupid to make Half Life 3 or any of their games exclusive to SteamOS. It would be like the scene from Dark Knight where Joker burns that big pile of money.

#40 11 months ago
  41. DSB

If they won’t deal with Xi3 there’s absolutely no way they’ll deal with Alienware.

Alienwares brand is selling overpriced hardware to people with more money than sense. That’s their whole business.

The Steambox is on a budget. I could see maybe iBuyPower or someone like that.

#41 11 months ago
  42. monkeygourmet

Thanks, someone has to do it! ;)

#42 11 months ago
  43. pcbros

@40 – “No one will be butthurt. Playstation users have all those exclusive games where PC just gets ports from Multi Platform games.”

Goes both ways.

If Microsoft can withhold Halo from Windows (PC) and make it exclusive to XB1, essentially cutting their right hand off, I don’t see why Valve has to release their games to consoles.

#43 11 months ago
  44. DSB

@43 Except for the millions they’d make, yeah, no sense :P

Making HL3 exclusive would be a political move, not a business one.

#44 11 months ago
  45. Erthazus

Awesome.

STEAM HARDWARE in 2014 from a lot of MANUFACTURERS. With weak hardware or HARDCORE Hardware.
    and you know what? The last sentence. You can play with keyboard or mouse if you want or with the controller.

So basically a lot of choices for console gamers. Oh, dear Sony and Microsoft. Your time has come with your shitty 900p systems.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Hcw87

”Making Half Life 3 exclusive to PCs is very likely though. No sense in bringing their first party game to the competition (PS3/XB1).”

Money. Will sell a buttload more if it’s on more platforms.

Steam/HL fanboys will buy the Steambox even if Half Life 3 is released on next gen consoles only, so it won’t be needed as a system seller either.

#46 11 months ago
  47. Phoenixblight

Says you? Valve has always been about getting their games to anyone and everyone.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Erthazus

I imagine something like for example ASUS makes an affordable console with STEAMOS for dudebros and family

and for example alienware makes hardcore console that is going to be amazing.

and yeah. There is a steam console :D

#48 11 months ago
  49. pcbros

@47 – Yeah, that was before they made their own OS and a potential console competitor.

How do you suppose they will attract gamers to the Steambox?

You yourself said that exclusives are key and that the PC only gets console ports. So I’m pretty sure Valve knows how important exclusive games will be to the success of the Steambox.

#49 11 months ago