Diablo 3 auction houses will be culled from the game come March 2014

Tuesday, 17th September 2013 19:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Diablo 3 auction houses, in-game and real-money, will be culled from the game come March, the firm has announced.

According to an update by Blizzard’s John Hight, the inclusion of the auction houses “undermines Diablo’s core gameplay.”

“When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades,” he wrote. “But as we’ve mentioned on different occasions, it became increasingly clear that despite the benefits of the AH system and the fact that many players around the world use it, it ultimately undermines Diablo’s core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot.

“With that in mind, we want to let everyone know that we’ve decided to remove the gold and real-money auction house system from Diablo 3.

“We feel that this move along with the Loot 2.0 system being developed concurrently with Reaper of Souls™ will result in a much more rewarding game experience for our players.

“We’re working out the details of how the auction house system will be shut down, but we wanted to share the news as soon as we made the decision in order to give everyone as much advance notice as possible. Please note that the shutdown will occur on March 18, 2014.

“We will keep everyone informed as we work through this process.”

1. SplatteredHouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpL_ekOlVA \o/

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

Blizzard listens.

IMPOSSIBLE! :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. Xbone

Good move, but waaaay waaaay WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late. I already extracted as much money from RMAH as I can then sold this PoS game. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUKIN LAAAAAAAATE.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hcw87

Never thought i’d see the day, PC gamers rejoice.

The game still feels superior on a gamepad though, so i hope the console versions stay updated too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sylrissa

Way too late Blizzard, but it’s still good to see, that RMAH was a mistake from the start, they never should of even introduced it

#5 1 year ago
  6. Gheritt White

@4: There is no RMAH in the console version. :-/

#6 1 year ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

I think this came in on the back of: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9773963/messages-from-hell-the-future-of-diablo-iii-6-5-2013 we can probably thank that man, and whichever team he installed around him.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MFBB

Well it is to late but better than never.

There are at least 2 expansions coming and people still play/love Diablo 2 (which also changed a lot thanks to years of patches).

Diablo 3 is going to have a long life aswell.

#8 1 year ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

Hallelujah, this is what happens when you put Tyrael in charge of the High Heavens.

#9 1 year ago
  10. jack92

DRM 100% online will be take off or not?
    Without action house, DRM is not usefull.

#10 1 year ago
  11. macronia

Great news , this means we will see offline patch ?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hcw87

Um yes, why would you think i didn’t know that? I meant updated as in Loot 2.0, expansions etc.

I just don’t hope they shelve the console versions, ignoring patches etc.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CyberMarco

Does it still require an always online connection or not? If so then it’s a no-go for me, maybe on PS4.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Judicas

Yea ill be getting this for xbox one, almost brought it for xbox 360 but figured why rush to play it now with my already too big back catalogue of things to clear. Also hope the expansions and updates make it to console too.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Arcnail

@10 Keeps the hacking way down (DRM does), which is apparently rampant on the console versions.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Sherif Saed

Does that mean we could potentially get an offline mode of some description?

#16 1 year ago
  17. fearmonkey

Not sure if an expansion could get me playing again.

Unlike Diablo2, Diablo3 was decent but meh and I found myself not be as crazy about it as I was the prior games.

Borderlands 2 really hooked me though, the first Borderlands was meh to me, but man o man did they fix that in the sequel. Its captured me for a longer time that I ever expected, just a fantastic game. Tiny Tina’s DLC is brilliant.

#17 1 year ago
  18. salarta

Translation: the auction house was a failed experiment in monetization, it’s done more harm than good for their business, so they’re taking it out.

#18 1 year ago
  19. TheWulf

I can’t help but wonder what excuse they’ll come up with now for forced DRM. I mean, sure, optionally for people who want it because they’re hyper-paranoid about illusory hackers, but I imagine everyone else would want it gone.

Perhaps with the DRM gone and the console interface, I might even give this a look. But how likely is that to happen? Until then (which is probably never), I have Torchlight II, which continues to be superior and sustained by good mods.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Llewelyn_MT

I get my loot in Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 anyway.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Schwarzerwind

This means someone at Blizzard pulled their head out of their own ass long enough to hear the gaming community.

I’m sure at any moment, superheros from another dimension will arrive to let us know this is an alternate universe.

Our first clue should have been Ben Affleck as Batman.

#21 1 year ago
  22. cartina

I for one welcome our returning d1jsp overlords.

#22 1 year ago