GTA 5: early copies sold by Amazon, Rockstar now investigating

Monday, 16th September 2013 08:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 was sold early by online retailer Amazon, and Rockstar Games is now investigating the matter.

The game is due to go on sale tomorrow, September 17, but a wave of photos from happy customers revealed that copies were arriving ahead of time. Typically, Amazon will ship early so that buyers receive their game on the street date, but this time, Rockstar Games doesn’t seem too pleased.

In a statement to GI.biz, a Rockstar rep said, “We are in the process of investigating early ‘sales’ to determine how and why that is occurring.”

Are you on of the lucky few? Let us know below.

Expect my GTA 5 impressions piece today at 3pm BST. In the meantime here’s a big news, screen and trailer round-up for your pleasure.

Via CVG.

1. MarcoosVGC

Is this UK or US?

#1 1 year ago
  2. JimFear-666

uk

#2 1 year ago
  3. AngryConsumer

dr watson is on the case i presume…

#3 1 year ago
  4. kingofscotland

I pre ordered with Amazon UK – and my copy has just shipped this morning.

Its maybe just been a small batch issued in error

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

What can Amazon do? Unfortunately, people can’t trust the Royal Mail and there would be lots of unhappy customers if the game didn’t arrive on time.

All I can say is big deal.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

I got my shipping notification Saturday morning – usually deliveries are one day, so I’m reeeeeally hoping it’ll be here this morning.

HYPE

#6 1 year ago
  7. aseddon130

Royal Mail can be unreliable, so i can’t blame them.

#7 1 year ago
  8. matirishhh

I ordered in from AMAZON.CO.UK too. It was dispatched last night with DHL and won’t arrive earlier then Thursday. I live in Poland. R* should chill out, I always appreciate Amazon’s work, and find them the fastest and the most reliable.

#8 1 year ago
  9. slayer

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a different guy who in turn knows a different guy who works at this particular store.Been lucky to have got an early copy and im very very very impressed with the shooting mechanics and driving.A huge improvement from GTA 4

#9 1 year ago
  10. PwnedHaxor

Yeah mine got dispatched on Saturday too, it better be here today LOL

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

Mine got dispatched on Saturday but hasn’t arrived. Ahh well, the release date is tomorrow, and £35 was a good price. I can’t exactly argue.

#11 1 year ago
  12. absolutezero

Who gives a fuck the entire thing has already been streamed on the net for Christ sake.

Spoilers its a GTA game.

#12 1 year ago
  13. undermyrules

Strange Rockastar not mentioning that more than 1 mil times has been illegaly downloaded on torrent sites..and strange its on consoles…i thought someone says only pc games gets heavily pirated…well gta 5 gonna change that.

#13 1 year ago
  14. M. K.

I already have people on my XBL friendslist playing it since Saturday. Some got it through the wholesale, some didn’t want to tell. But yeah, there are already copies being sold since Saturday in Germany.

#14 1 year ago
  15. silkvg247

Oooo people might get their game on time, naughty Amazon.

Preordered mine from GAME, not even dispatched yet, so yeah.. thanks rockstar for making sure my gf doesn’t get to play on launch with your stupid backwards restrictions.

#15 1 year ago
  16. darkshale

How does this hurt them? Studies have shown a game will sell even if its total crap if the marketing for it passes a certain threshold. Marketing for games is just more important then quality when it comes to sales.

GTAV will not lose any sales because of this, if anything the added media flap might sell more copies of the game.

Example Aliens sold more copies after it was revealed that it was a crappy game and that shenanigans were pulled with the demo. It got more coverage for the shenanigans and thus sold more copies. That crap game even managed to be the top seller in the UK for a week!!!!

No money will be lost and there for nobody should lose their jobs. Unfortunately someone probably will because some tight ass wants to feel like a boss.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Fin

It’s just about control, building hype, etcetc.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Golden

I recieved an email from Amazon on Saturday to say it had been shipped, fingers crossed it’s at home for me when I get back from work.

#18 1 year ago
  19. dodgeuk19

Mine got dispatched on Saturday too but didn’t arrive, this is hype about very little, amazon just like play have to do this process in order to take your money.

i have no tracking info and it hasn;t arrived at my house ( my post has been ) so this is much ado about nothing a small handful may get it but in a whole i think we will all get it tomorrow when we are due to get it,

#19 1 year ago
  20. Panthro

Mine got dispatched on the 15th… I got up at 8am to wait for the mail man but he never dropped it off :( It will come tomorrow though! ALARM IS ON!

#20 1 year ago
  21. Doomsayer

Well mine came today as well. Lucky me :)

#21 1 year ago
  22. Eon

My mate in Dubai received his copy today. Hardly new though, orders from Play used to always arrive a day or two before release for me. Decided to preorder it at my local Game and pick it up at midnight instead rather than risk it this time.

My first midnight launch!

Avoided all spoilers so far, only a few more hours to go.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Panthro

Yeah its been difficult avoiding spoilers, especially that one about Franklins family being burnt alive in a house fire by Trevor.

#23 1 year ago
  24. taylorlauder

Last minute leak confirms gambling, casino and lottery built for the game. Source: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/1355632

#24 1 year ago