Child of Light is Ubisoft’s tribute to JRPGs, screens & trailer inside

Tuesday, 10th September 2013 09:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Child of Light developer Ubisoft has showcased its love-letter to JRPGs in Paris, and has both discussed plot details and revealed a batch of debut screens, along with a trailer.

Sony discussed Ubioft’s title over on PS Blog EU and explained that it stars a courageous young fairy adventurer called Aurora. She’s the daughter of an Austrian duke who travels to the world of Lemuria and meets a friendly flame called Igniculus.

The game’s based in the same Ubiart Framework engine powering Rayman Legends and as such, you can expect to see many artful backdrops and worlds on your way to defeat the Black Queen and find a way home.

There will be many puzzles and classic turn-based combat that operates on a timing system, and as such, interrupting enemy attacks at the correct moment is the key to successful battles, along with successfully matching elemental attacks to counter your opponent’s. Igniculus can also help in battle, and can be controlled by a second player.

Child of Light is coming to PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014. Check out some screens below.

1. CyberMarco

No PS Vita release, what a shame… :(

The game looks gorgeous!

#1 11 months ago
  2. matirishhh

I love it. Ubi ART framework is the best engine I’ve seen in years. We will see amazing art games in future if UBI make it open.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Fin

Fuck that looks excellent.

MOAR UBI ART GAMES PLEASE.

#3 11 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

*standing ovation*

#4 11 months ago
  5. Luciferous

@1 I have a feeling the vita will be used to control Igniculus in the co’op mode of the game

The game itself looks outstanding, I think this may have risen to my most anticipated title of next year.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Clupula

That looks nice. Trying to remember if I’ve played a side-scrolling JRPG since Popful Mail on Sega CD…

#6 11 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

Okay, that looks mildly amazing.

#7 11 months ago
  8. DrDamn

Looks excellent. One to watch for.

#8 11 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Aesthetically this game is truly beautiful and this new Ubi-art approach is definitely to be lauded. The music was lovely to close my eyes and listen to, too.

Though I have very real worries, the sort of worries that plague me whenever the West does fantasy. If I were to write out the story told by the trailer, it would sound painfully generic. It’s essentially about a hero running around and collecting magical gear to slay big beasties, then a big, bad Queen. Which is as cliché a pastiche as any other Western fantasy video game has been in recent years.

I want this to not be generic, understand that. Though if I ignore that which is presented to me as evidence, then I’ll only be more angry later for a game so damned beautiful being plagued by such a plodding, pedestrian, hackneyed, and unfeeling a story.

Why do developers not understand the importance of story in games like this? If you’re going to look at a JRPG, you have to understand that the most important elements were always the characters and the story. The rest was just a grind. The characters and the story were what people loved.

If you have a story about monster slaying, and your character is one-dimensional, then you’re removing the best of what JRPGs were.

Show me, Ubisoft, with future trailers. Show me that this isn’t a painfully generic affair, show me that my fears are unfounded, show me that I actually have something to look forward to, here. I want this to be something that’s going to alleviate my feelings of phoned-in mainstream pedestrianism. This doesn’t look phoned in, at all.

Don’t ruin this, Ubisoft.

Really.

Don’t fuck this up. Do not.

#9 11 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I have! That’s kind of why I like emulators, it can be fun to go back and experience these things. I recently completed WonderBoy III: The Dragon’s Trap. That wasn’t a bad side-scrolling affair.

#10 11 months ago