Inafune feels the Japanese games industry has “gotten worse” since his 2009 comments

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 20:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Keiji Inafune feels the state of the Japanese games industry has “gotten worse” since he made his famous remarks on the matter back in 2009.

Speaking with Gamespot at PAX, Inafune said there’s no reason for what he feels is a continuing decline when there are more development options available than ever before.

“Ultimately, it’s probably gotten worse than when I was talking about it before. And that’s a shame,” Inafune said, “but there are options out there. And there are many options that Japanese independent developers can pursue to gain more control, to own their own IP, et cetera.

“And Kickstarter is one of those fantastic options, and so, one of the reasons why I was interested in doing [the Mighty No. 9] Kickstarter wasn’t just because potentially being able to connect with the fans, but also potentially being able to show other Japanese independent developers that there is a way, that there are options.”

Inafune launched his Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter campaign September 2 initially asking $900,000 for development on PC with various stretch goals offering more content and release options.

By this morning, the game had already garnered $1.2 million and as of post time, Inafune is just shy of hitting the Linux and Mac stretch goal of $1.35 million.

1. Francis O

Overall, somewhat. Mainly due to the decline of the console market from 6th to 7th gen.

However, I think with the Wii U finally getting HD, the PS4, and 3DS, the Japanese industry will recover. Sony needs to put a little more effort in Japan though.

They weren’t even one of the top five publishers in Japan last year.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Biscuitpants

japan is dead, let them play there jrpgs

#2 12 months ago
  3. Francis O

ironically enough, the two most interesting games on Sony or Microsoft’s next gen systems are Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15, everything else just looks like PS3 or 360 games with better graphics.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Biscuitpants

@3 i have to disagree and say nothing looks interesting on next gen consoles, maybe destiny

#4 12 months ago
  5. Dark

I agree , especially the JRPG’s
    i did enjoy few japanese games like bayonetta , SotD , Drgaon’s dogma , souls series , dragon crown , MGR and vanquish
    but overall things aren’t looking good for Japanese games industry.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Francis O

I guess, but I’m a RPG and Action guy so I disagree. Monolith Soft’s X, Bayonetta 2, FF 15, KH3 are all very high up on my list.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dark

“everything else just looks like PS3 or 360 games with better graphics”

The Witcher 3
    inFAMOUS SS
    Dragon age:I
    lords of the fallen
    Cyberpunk 2077
    The order 1886
    Theif
    The Division
    The Witness
    + indie games

are more than a games with better graphics.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Pitts

True, but they still make some damn good games. And for a long time, set standards for what a good game is.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

The majority of those aren’t on Nintendo consoles ATM so you can see why he thinks that ;)

#9 12 months ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that the biggest problem Japanese devs/publishers face is their inability to communicate. All orders come from the top, and all employees must either be yes men or quit. Advice from the bottom will be seen as dissent or an inability to be a team player. There’s also no communication with other devs/publishers, and in general, the flexibility and efficiency of Japanese companies is terrible, unless the guy at the top is a legend.

And it’s such a shame, because the genuine talent they squander in those companies is shameful. If there’s one thing wrong with Japanese companies, it’s that employees are generally taken for granted, over-worked, under-appreciated, and eventually used up and burnt out.

In my company, we have an 8 hour day, but almost everybody does about 2 or 3 hours overtime a day for free. Forever. And me, who comes to work 10 minutes early and does only 30 minutes to an hour of overtime is regarded as a slacker.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Kabby

Doing unpaid overtime is stupid.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Metroid455

If your talking about the way Japanese developers operate then I agree with alot of what Telepathic.Geometry has said, if your talking about Japanese games themselves then no I disagree but I guess it’s a matter of taste (^-^)

#12 12 months ago