Creating your first game on next-gen formats is like an awkward first date, says Call of Duty: Ghosts dev

Friday, 30th August 2013 12:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the first next-gen project for Infinity Ward, and executive producer Mark Rubin has likened that experience to an awkward first date.

Speaking with Edge, Rubin was asked if creating Call of Duty: Ghosts for current and next-gen formats is holding back the game from a tech perspective.

He replied, “I don’t think it’s holding next gen back. The way I look at it is the first game on a next gen console is the hardest one to make. It’s like a first date. There’s a lot of figuring out what’s going on and very little knowledge of each other. The second date, of course, gets much better, but the first date’s kind of awkward.

“Take for example Call Of Duty 2 and the way that game looked even compared to even Call Of Duty 4. It’s a significant leap forward. So I think we’ll see something similar – I hope, as a games developer in general, not just of Call Of Duty, to see massive leaps forward as the generation gets more mature.”

When asked if Rubin felt pressure by the presence of Destiny and Titanfall, and the desire from gamers to see a real shake-up of the Call of Duty formula, he replied, “Yeah, there is a lot of pressure there. It would, in a sense, just be easier for us to go just make a brand new game that isn’t Call Of Duty, that doesn’t have any limitations. That would be the easy way out.

“It’s actually much harder to know that you have something that’s very important to a lot of people, and a formula that people really love as it is. To change that every year is something that’s a huge challenge for us internally, but it drives a lot of our passion. We end up becoming our own biggest critics – when we ship, we postmortem what we did right and what we did wrong. We really tear it apart. That drives us to keep going on the franchise, and not take the easy way out, in a sense.”

Do you feel that changing the Call of Duty format too much would be to destroy its identity, or is it time for a total restart? Let us know below.

Be sure to stay tuned for my big Call of Duty: Ghosts hands-on impressions and interview feature here next week.

1. Ristas

” It would, in a sense, just be easier for us to go just make a brand new game that isn’t Call Of Duty, that doesn’t have any limitations. That would be the easy way out.”

Did he seriously just say that? Wow.

Still, they shouldn’t change CoDs formula. Battlefield, Titanfall and Destiny offer completely different experiences and the fast, uncomplicated playstile of CoD can be quite fun.

#1 8 months ago
  2. KAP

The game he was describing was Titanfall.
    This is EXACTLY why I hate COD franchise, not because it brings in chavs, 12 year olds, racists and just general trolls but the simple fact that given the chance Activision won’t even try to move the franchise forward.

Even there PR answer says it outright.. that’s saddest thing I’ve ever read.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@3 if you keep on coming back I’ll have to keep on blocking you. Your choice.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Start at 0:55

#4 8 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 Hah, “all day son!”

#5 8 months ago
  6. Playmaker

Can’t wait for COD Ghosts. X1 for me.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Zeromass

“It would, in a sense, just be easier for us to go just make a brand new game that isn’t Call Of Duty, that doesn’t have any limitations. That would be the easy way out.”
    Lol I can’t believe I just read that, who does he think he’s kidding 12 year old boys that are impressed with fish AI and dogs? Oh wait…

#7 8 months ago
  8. sebastien rivas

@ 1
    hehehehehehe, yes he did it indeed!
    I loved the you have something that’s very important to a lot of people, and a formula that people really love as it is…

I never played COD so don’t get me wrong but to me it appears they can make a barbie game versus Dora and still apply COD mechanics and gamers shall be wow’ed. Or also COD, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6…25, 26, 27, … 45, 46, 47,…. without ever doing anything, just change the graphics, make new maps and voilaaaaaa, a multi million dollars profit, ching ching, ching ching ;)

In other words, he has no perception that research of new/fun/evolution should be applied to COD. In many ways he is right. If the game still performs that well with a hugely aggressive PR to shove down gamers throat then heyy why not, money still go in his pocket and so to the pub too.

#8 8 months ago