EA: “Microsoft has been very aggressive with us, as had Sony” says Moore

Thursday, 29th August 2013 11:12 GMT By Dave Cook

EA and Microsoft seem to have a special relationship as of late, what with Titanfall exclusivity, free FIFA 14 for European pre-orders and first dibs on Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. Regardless, Peter Moore has stressed again that the company is not favouring Microsoft over Sony, and has said they are both quite aggressive.

Speaking with GI.biz about EA’s relationship with Microsoft and Sony, Moore said, “We have relationships with both companies that go back many many years, so I think that what you saw [during EA's gamescom conference] was, just from a phasing perspective, you saw a little bit more of the Microsoft stuff. We have a lot of partnership opportunities with Sony, with the PlayStation 4, which we have done for many many years, that maybe we should start talking more about.

“But it may have seemed that way, I don’t think that we’re favouring one over the other, we love them both dearly. It’s important to the publishing community that both are very successful and I think they will be very successful. I think the gamers, the fanboys, I’m an Xbox guy, I’m a PlayStation guy, they’re going to make their choices. I see a lot of talk about people who are going to try to get both.

“Microsoft has been very aggressive with us, as had Sony, we’re a very powerful publisher obviously, that has the ability to deliver great content and makes a difference on their platforms, and they want to make sure they get that.”

On Microsoft and EA’s partnership to gift FIFA 14 to every Xbox One pre-order customer in Europe, Moore continued, “We look at opportunities to put as many copies of FIFA into consumers’ hands as we possibly can. We’re very proud of that game, we’re very proud of the fact that it’s not just a game that you play off a disc but the digital services, FIFA Ultimate Team, in particular is important to us, so the more consumers that own FIFA the better opportunity we have to interact with them, to be able to offer services to them, so it’s worked out well.

“Microsoft, particularly in Europe, feels it needs to catch up a little bit with the PlayStation brand and this is one way to do it. You take soccer and you add Europe to the mix and then you bring it together. And I suspect as well Microsoft is looking at ways to add value, as I’m sure Sony is here to make the price points feel a little bit more of a bargain. We sat down a while back and talked about this and that’s how it happened.”

What do you make of EA’s relationship with Microsoft? Don’t forget that Microsoft did announce it was in partnership with Microsoft back in May.

1. Djoenz

SCE Europe CEO Jim Ryan :
    “It’s perfectly rational when a platform holder, or indeed a publisher, runs a pre-order campaign to engage in promotional behaviour to dial it up if you feel it’s not where you need it to be. That’s a rational thing for any businessman to do,”

Peter Moore:

#1 11 months ago
  2. wicktus

Shut up moore, Turning your back on some gamers(Sony) is a dangerous and absurd decision to take

#2 11 months ago
  3. FatalTee

How many times have we talked about this – it is football, not soccer.

#3 11 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

Peter Moore, nothing more to add.
    He’s a former MS executive.

Though I think shareholders will get his head soon if siding so openly with MS won’t pay off.

Can’t stand 3rd party publishers not keeping balance between platforms.
    Last year Activision gained some of my respect and EA lost a lot.

Publishers don’t understand that loads of people remembers these little stunts.
    I think many PS4 owners are not happy, and now it’s up to EA to get customers back.

By the way, I wish the idiocy of timed exclusive DLC will stop soon, because it creates more bitter blood than revenues.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Judicas

@3 it will forever be soccer

#5 11 months ago
  6. ArithonUK

@5 No, it has ALWAYS been football. Only the middle-classes called it soccer in the 1800s. American Football or “ballown” started in 1820 around 540 years AFTER football started in England.

Of the 45 national FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) affiliates in which English is an official or primary language, 43 use football in their organisations’ official names (only Canada and the United States use soccer).

So the English speaking world out-votes you 43 to 2. You lose.

#6 11 months ago
  7. BlockheadBrown

I really don’t believe a word out of Peter Moore.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Dendroball

And yet nobody has been crying that EA has been leaning towards Sony this gen despite all of the exclusive or timed exclusive content the PS3 version of their games got over the 360 version (Dante’s Inferno, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 3, Dead Space 2, etc).

#8 11 months ago
  9. revsouly

When your actions cause people to question your loyalty…that is an answer in of itself

#9 11 months ago
  10. sebastien rivas

Exactly and right to the point.
    EA-MS aggressive in detriment to game and gamers.
    Gamers don’t care about the two signing deals. Gamers care what that action will have as effect, and that is in this circumstance no fifa 14 on PS4. Don’t get me wrong, I really don’t care for EA but I think of all those PS4er’s whom for some reasons love EA and are soccer fans.
    EA prefers to sing and sign huge financial deals instead of doing and being what they are, that is a 3rd party developers and develop video games.

Duhhhhh

Jesussss, it reeks

#10 11 months ago
  11. DSB

D’aawwwwwwww.

Poor EA. I know what they mean. Those ultra-aggressive games companies are a real pain in the balls.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Dendroball

@11 I think you’re overreacting a bit here, how is it aggressive and in detriment to gamers when Fifa14 is also coming out on PS4 ? Frankly, it’s not like EA is giving its game for free because they just like Xbox players, if Sony really wanted a bundle made with EA for PS4, they would have contacted EA in the first place, moreover based on a recent interview from a Sony exec, they just don’t seem to care.

Are you talking about exclusive or timed exclusive content ? But as I said earlier, EA was heavily leaning towards Sony this past gen and no one cared.

So now a third party publisher can’t make exclusive deal with a console manufacturer ? Go tell that to Activision while you’re at it because as far as I know COD DLCs always came out before on the 360, and they’re actively preparing something similar with Sony on PS4 with Destiny.

In the end, all of the internally developed titles from EA are coming out on both platforms, so yeah I guess it’s pretty aggressive …

#12 11 months ago
  13. lacerz

The PS4 is still less expensive if you were to purchase it along with FIFA, so who cares.

There are a lot of long term issues that would cause me concern about purchasing a Xbox One.

First, it appears Sony future proofed the PS4. Not so much for the X1. Cloud computing can’t handle the same loads that hardware can.

Second, if the talks of Microsoft spinning the Xbox division off come to light, Xbox will lose about $250 BILLION in leverage. The numbers make it all pretty clear: Microsoft’s Windows division is valued at $107 billion; its business division at $99 billion; and its servers at $43 billion. Meanwhile, the entertainment and devices division, which includes Xbox, sits at a mere $3.6 billion. That would seriously gimp the Xbox’s ability to get these types of exclusives in the future.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Dendroball

@13 How come you already know Xbox One is not future proofed ? Because the PS4 GPU is slightly more powerful ? Once again all of those specs talks are just numbers and astroturfing, and ultimately numbers don’t matter (we’ve aready seen it with the Gamecube), games are what matter.

#14 11 months ago
  15. lacerz

@14 Too much dependence on the cloud instead of hardware, plus Microsoft’s own statements that they didn’t target high end graphics. Google “Xbox One Highest End Graphics”. No, Microsoft is pushing the Xbox as an entertainment play, not a future proofed gaming console.

#15 11 months ago
  16. DSB

@12 I was mostly referring to their business practices in the past. EA are arguably the most aggressive company out there when it comes to reaching for the gamers wallet at every possible moment.

Mostly I was just poking at the headline. Obviously Moore didn’t see it as a bad thing.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Dendroball

@16 My bad I was actually replying to Sebastien. No problem, I got the irony in your words :)

#17 11 months ago
  18. gameoholic007

I never believe what Moore says through his crooked teeth. He acts like EA never made that partnership with M$.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Legion

“Don’t forget that Microsoft did announce it was in partnership with Microsoft back in May.” what the hell are you even trying to say?

#19 10 months ago