Research firm claims Guild Wars 2 is fastest MMO to 3 million copies sold, or something

Friday, 16th August 2013 20:18 GMT By Phil Owen

PCgamesN reports that firm DFC Intelligence has come to the conclusion that with 3 million copies sold in nine months, Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMO in that period of time after any game launch.

The firm actually uses the term “fastest-selling MMO of all time,” but this is a strange point to make that declaration as it had sold 2 million within two weeks of launch last year. In any case, we will just have to trust them on this, because after declaring that SWTOR had sold two million copies shortly after its launch in 2011 EA never reported sales number for that game again, and now that it’s F2P it never will. Firms like DFC tend to have access to data not publicly available, it should be noted.

In any case, and perhaps not coincidentally, NCsoft is holding a free Guild Wars 2 weekend starting next Friday.

1. GrimRita

If they have counted the pre-purchase its kind of misleading. I pre-purchased – not pre-ordered – mine some months before.

SWTOR didn’t offer a pre-purchase if I recall, just a standard pre-order with a small deposit. And the reason why EA didnt report sales after was probably down to the fact that 1.7 million people left the game inside 3 months and it just didn’t sell. So they must hold the record for the ‘quickest to lose its player base’

#1 1 year ago
  2. Se_7_eN

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

^^ This.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Cleaderwoo

“Not trying to troll, but it’s also probably the fastest MMO to lose that amount of players.”

Also did you take into account the number of people who log in weekly, or monthly, or once in a while? How about the people who are waiting to come back, but will only do so when x feature/story/etc. is announced?

You can say what you want about GW2 losing players, but there is a HUGE number of people who keep coming back to the game every once in a while. Some stay for an hour, some stay for months and then stop playing again. Either way doesn’t matter as NCSOFT has proven GW2 is raking in huge bucks.

So it’s not your traditional MMO where players who have left leave forever or have to pay to come back.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phil Owen

Yeah, it’s not sub-based, so it’s doesn’t “lose players” in the traditional MMO sense. That you can drop off for two months and hop back in with no barrier is kind of the point of not requiring subs.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

I’d wager it’s even more important to keep people playing if you’re surviving on micro-transactions though.

If people aren’t invested in the game, they’re not gonna invest in all the junk.

Personally I got bored within a month.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Phil Owen

Only a small percentage of the pop spends money in MMO cash stores. You need to keep those people around, but as long as new people keep coming in and keeps the pop healthy then it doesn’t matter if tons of “freeloaders” drop out.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@7 I guess that’s true, but then you really really do need those people around. I’d love to see some stats on that.

The main thing for me being that Guild Wars 2 isn’t free. It was actually pretty expensive. Limiting traffic when you depend on their continued investment is pretty ballsy.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Phil Owen

Yeah, it is kind of a mystery to me that the price hasn’t dropped much, especially seeing as how they sold 2 million in two weeks and 1 million in the year since. But I’m sure if they were having pop or revenue problems they’d pull it down, like Trion did with Defiance. (although I’d argue that game started at way too high a price for what it is.)

#9 1 year ago
  10. taylorlauder

This game is now small.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Droid

Strange, feels big to me. No matter where I go at the least busy times of the day, even into obscure parts of the map there are always people around, exploring, or just lost. A good thing about this game is it doesn’t take forever to get around the game world especially when someone calls out an event or whatever you can get there within about 30 seconds to join in. Can’t say that for most other mmo’s I’ve played. I’d say they need to keep people interested to keep the game world alive and active with players, certainly feels like they’re succeeding on my server, but then maybe others are quieter I don’t know.

#11 1 year ago