Saint’s Row IV: Volition talks powers, plot & purple things

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 08:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Saint’s Row IV’s Jim Boone has talked VG247′s Sam Clay through the game’s presidential super powers, and we’ve got some gameplay footage of them in action too.

In the clip above, Boone tells us about the game’s plot and how the Saints come to be super-powered agents of justice inside the Dominatrix, and how each of the powers can come in handy. We’ve got footage of combat, on-foot races and more for you to enjoy.

What do you think?

Saint’s Row 4 hits PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 across North America from August 20, and across Europe August 23.

1. ninjanutta

Looks a lot like prototype when hes using the super powers,infact its a copy paste of it when running up buildings and jumping,Looks like a lot of fun though and i loved prototype anyway.

#1 1 year ago
  2. TheWulf

Yeah, but good super hero games are so, so, so rare that I’m actually okay with something else like Prototype. And as okay as Prototype was, I had to shut my brain off to the “There, there… you’re slaughtering all of these people, but you’re a nice guy!” patronising idiocy that permeates mainstream gaming.

Saints Row III won’t have that problem, though. It understands how ridiculous it is. See, if a game wants to claim that I am a nice guy, then I don’t kill. See: The Amazing Spider-Man, which was better than the Prototype games in almost every conceivable way. But if my character is going to be killing civilians, then he should be a complete arsehole, and the game shouldn’t be apologising for that every few seconds by trying to convince me of my character’s nice guy-ness.

To be honest, the whole ‘nice guy’ aspect of video games reminds me of the misogyny problem and I actually think that games are responsible, to a degree. Think about it. What kind of subconscious message is a game sending when…

I just killed a granny who was hobbling along on her zimmer-frame… BUT I’M A NICE GUY! 8D I come from old country, where I was poor! Pity me! Empathise with me! I just shot another old lady… BUT I’M A NICE GUY! 8D

I mean, seriously, what the fuck.

That’s always irritated me. And what’s more bizarre was that Saints Row III never had old people in it for that, do you want to know what did? GTA IV “I’m a nice guy!” Edition.

So yeah.

I’m tired of games developers thinking of me as an idiot, and Rockstar are really some of the worst when it comes to that. Some people can sit there, with their heads being patted, and take it with a grin… but it bothers me. Normal games, for feeble-minded idiots.

No thanks.

Give me more of this.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

I hate coming back to GTA IV all the time, but it really represents everything I see wrong with the videogames industry today. It’s dull, it fetishises normality, and it has young gamers commit acts of atrocity whilst reinforcing the notion that they’re nice guys.

Some people love that, to me, that’s sociopathy.

I prefer the opposite… I like wild, crazy, and novel games. And if the characters are being evil and batshit insane, call them on it. Don’t have a guy kill an old lady and then call him a nice guy. Just… don’t do that. That’s fucked up on so many levels.

This is really the anti-GTA. And I hope they don’t lose sight of that. I really don’t want them to lose sight of that.

Frankly, they could take it to space for all I care. They could take it to the future and make it a truly insane cyberpunk game. That’d be fantastic. I’d love to see them be more imaginative, rather than less.

I dunno, I don’t understand people.

I want a murder simulator set in reality where the game constantly reinforces the notion that my sociopathic, fucked up main character is definitely a nice guy, and commits all of these genocidal acts for all the right reasons. He’s a nice guy. I’m a nice guy. I play this game because I’m a nice guy.

^ Not me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

Okay, last comment on this.

Some might think I have a problem with video game violence — but that’s just not the case. I’m okay with Saints Row III, aren’t I? My argument is, as always, against operant conditioning. I know this comes up a lot, but I’d like you to do your research before you argue with me. Look into what it is and why games that do this disturb the hell out of me.

Video game violence? Fine. It’s okay if the character is obviously an arsehole. But GTA has stopped doing that since Vice City, from San Andreas on the character has been a nice guy. It’s positive reinforcement conditioning, using reality to help drive it home. We’re seeing acts of violence constantly committed by nice guys. Not complete arsholes, but “nice guys.”

This has completely mutated what a nice guy is. A nice guy these days is someone who does something with a smile, and is charismatic. It doesn’t matter if the things they’re doing are horrible, so long as they’re a “nice guy.” And pop culture is really conditioning people to accept this as a fact. Do it with a smile, and you can get away with anything.

Why doesn’t this bother anyone else?

I’m completely okay with video games which paint the character as a nutjob. If you look at Saints Row the Third, it’s unapologetic, it doesn’t try to convince you you’re a nice guy, the character is a complete sociopath and just… pondscum, really. It can be amusing, but you don’t want to be these people. It’s funny to watch their antics in their made up reality, but they’re not painted as nice guys.

When you have a character who’ll kick an old lady off her zimmer frame though, only to turn around and talk about how much of a nice guy he is, and how much he had to endure growing up in a poor country? That’s fucked up on so many levels.

The fact is is that if my character is going to claim to be a half-decent person, then I won’t have them kill. If the game forces me to kill whilst trying to make claims of their decency, then that game is going straight into the garbage. That’s that.

So yeah, I don’t have anything against video game violence.

What I’m against is games using positive reinforcement conditioning to get people into a mindset that horrors of inhumanity are nice guys. (Hence the misogyny problem. It’s all related when you know how to look at it.)

— Edit —

This is why I liked Deadpool, conversely.

He’s funny, but he’s a total sociopath. The game is a good way to unwind because it’s ridiculous, and over the top, and not linked to reality at all. You just blow some trained soldiers up, watch Deadpool crack a few jokes, and that’s that. You’ve spent a while as a complete nutjob in a game, and you know that’s not what you want to be in reality.

But Nico “Nice Guy” Bellic makes me want to puke.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Okay.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MrUntouchable27

saints row 3 was completely CRAP!!! it was an utter disappointment as well! all the game trailers lied to me and made the game look awesome, while in reality its CRAP! if you say that GTA IV was bad… that is most probably because you didn’t take the time to fully invest yourself in the game. saints row 3 was glitchy/buggy, the missions were terrible (except for a few i have to admit), the story was weak,it kept on trying so hard to be funny when in reality it really wasn’t. after you complete the game and its many repetitive side-missions, there is completely nothing to do. the car physics were SHIT! you couldn’t even buy cribs anymore. the game wasn’t as customiseable as saints row 2 was (saints row 2 was a way more better game). volition has ruined the series!!! which is why saints row 4 is again going t be CRAP!!!… just my opinion:)

#6 1 year ago
  7. setohayato

@TheWulf I was not a fan of Niko myself, he was really a hypocrite. Everyone has their own tastes though. Some people really liked GTA IV after all. To each his own though. Do you play on PC or console.

@MrUntouchable Oh well you not everyone will like it. Are you excited about GTA V?

#7 1 year ago
  8. MrUntouchable27

@setohayato Yes. I have high hopes for that game. Are you a fan of the series?

#8 1 year ago