Spelunky landing on GoG and Steam next month

Tuesday, 9th July 2013 13:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Spelunky will be released on PC through Steam and GoG next month, according to Mossmouth. It’s the XBLA version of the game which was released in July 2012. It will also be made available on the Humble Store as previously announced. The PS3 and Vita versions are in the works at Blit Game Studios, and will also release this summer. Expect Spelunky PC to arrive on the aforementioned digital services come August 8. Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. The_Red

Finally, Spelunky will return home and the circle of mad shopkeepers will be complete.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

Gran Turismo, Trials, Mortal Kombat, Spelunky HD.

These are the games I really wanted to play, but I dont have any console. Only 1 more to go… Sony… your move :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. alterecho

Yeah, GOG!

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

Oooh, I’ve been looking forward to this! I dug the original Spelunky as something I could sit down and have a short go at between more important things. It was a coffee break game to a degree… well, for me it was, since I wholly admit to never having been very good at it. I still liked it, though. Punishingly hard games like this certainly have their place.

I’d be more than happy to give Mr. Yu some monies for a graphically updated version of the game already on my hard drive. >_>

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

/high_five

I dig GoG too. I hope they continue being a success, as I’ve bought plenty from them and I’ll continue to for as long as they’re around.

Same goes for the Humble Store and Green Man Gaming too, though, really. I like spreading my monies around so that Steam doesn’t get everything.

#5 1 year ago
  6. alterecho

^ Yeah, me too. Games on GOG are worth the full price.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

I just hope against hope that GOG will get around to adding Rocket Jockey at some point.

They’ve been awesome at adding my old favourites, but Rocket Jockey deserves the recognition in commercial death that it never got in commercial life.

*Edit*

I just tripped over this:

Holy fucknuts. Please, please, please make this a Kickstarter.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

@TheWulf
    Yeah, the game is amazing in short bursts but the XBLA version is a whole different beast. The quest for Hell takes some serious concentration, practice and dedication.

While it may seem impossible or too demanding at first, getting to Hell and conquering is one of THE most enjoyable moments of this gaming gen IMO. So, see you in Hell ;)

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

Not bothered!

When people watch me play Spelunky, VVVVVV, or similar, they can’t understand. Instead of cussing at the screen or throwing my controller across the room I’ll just shrug it off, have a good laugh, and continue. Games don’t frustrate me, and so long as they’re designed well (which Spelunky is) and they’re not taking advantage of my poor sight (hello Capsized), then I have no issue with them. I love difficulty.

I sat down for a little while picking away at Veni, Vidi, Vici, simply because it was something that actually required skill (muscle memory), which is rare these days. And I beat it. I got good at it to the point where I could go both ways around, and I would show this to people just for them to be baffled by.

But yeah, I don’t get frustrated by games. I think it’s just the weirdness of my brain. I’m not saying that to be a speshul snowflake, I actually do have something off up there, I don’t have a septum lucidum, for one. And whatever it is that makes me immune to operant conditioning also tends to not make me frustrated at hard games.

This is why I’ll sit down and play a hard game for an hour before just stopping with it, deciding I’ve played enough, but I can’t stand an hour playing an MMO. It’s weird.

So… honestly? Spelunky can bring it. I love the challenge.

#9 1 year ago