Shadowrun Returns let’s play shows 30 minutes of gameplay

Friday, 5th July 2013 14:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Shadowrun Returns has received the let’s play treatment online, and in the following alpha video from June, the player checks out some custom levels and talks about the game’s many mechanics.

Props to Loserific for the video. He has more Shadowrun Returns videos here.

What do you think of the game so far? The game’s out on Steam July 25, and in the meantime you can check out my interview with developer Harebrained Schemes on the game’s combat and skills here.

Thanks RPS and Kotaku for bringing this to our attention.

1. hives

I can’t waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

I hope it will be good, for the glory of Kickstarter, so people woulnd’t talk how it’s platform for naive gamers ;P BTW, so far I liked FTL and Expeditions Conquistador, which I both helped to fund.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gheritt White

…FOR THE GLORY OF KICKSTARTERRRRR!!!

#2 1 year ago
  3. GwynbleiddiuM

25th of july can’t come soon enough. 20 more days of torment :<

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kalain

Why didn’t I Kickstarter this.. Why oh why!!!

Looking forward to it now..

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

I’m so happy that this is actually a thing. Some of the Kickstarter stuff is like waking up from… well, just a long, uneventful sleep. After a while I just got into a state where I wasn’t expecting anything refreshingly novel. I settled into the malaise and just accepted things for what they were. There was a period from about the mid ’00s up until around probably ’10 where things were just dull.

Then everything went crazy. I think it started around the release of VVVVVV, and then just got more nuts from there. And I look at my Steam list now and it has an appreciable amount of weird. I was playing Dungeonland the other day with a group of friends, and I just can’t get over how much fun that was compared to most things I’d played.

Even the mainstream had a few hits, and there were exemplary and truly memorable titles like To the Moon in the space between. Somewhere around ’10 things just happened, then there was Kickstarter, and now I’m looking at the coming months, and they have things like Shadowrun and Dragon Commander in them.

And I’m so okay with this.

I’m not sure if anyone can really understand how I feel, here. It’s not nostalgia, but novelty. Things became so safe that there was a drought of interesting ideas, and everyone just wanted to copy everyone else. Titles like Mirror’s Edge in the drought were oases of beauty that you took for all their worth, before settling back into the drought.

Of course, Mirror’s Edge was stillborn at the time. Everyone had (and some still do) this normality fetish, where every day was another game, another burger, with no variety. Some people’s gaming diet is similar to their food diet, and it’s not good for them. That kind of gaming is bad, in my opinion, as it just encourages you to switch your brain off.

It encourages people to never really be self aware, to not spend any time inside their own heads, to not be creative or romantic. It’s Boring 101, a self-actualising program for being the tiresomely dull drone you always wanted to be.

Really, mainstream game fans often don’t make for fun conversation. I’m sorry.

We thankfully seem to be taking more baby steps towards novelty, though. To the point where even an anthro game like Dust: An Elysian Tale can be a success. You know, that was another thing about the malaise, people had such a fetish for normality that any game which didn’t revolve around uuncanny valley humans (be it anime or anthro) was an abomination. That wasn’t just boring, that was really stupid.

So. Childish. And in a very bad way.

Nice to see things growing out of the malaise, to be honest. I’ve been waiting long enough for it to happen. More and more people are taking risks on crazy projects, and people are taking risks on betting on those crazy projects with Kickstarter. I’ve been doing the same, I’ve funded loads on Kickstarter. I’m more than happy to put my money where my mouth is.

But yeah, things are getting better. And that this exists is just a sign of the time.

I’m dreading the drop off into the malaise again, but for now? This is awesome. I just hope that more and more people will eventually feel the same way that I do.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthabutt

@TheWulf THE GOD OF LONG POSTS IS ABOVE ME! OH GOD WHY NO ONE IS GONNA READ ME NOW.

In other news: “I’d like this game, but I just can’t get over the art style because it’s cool and normal to be a cultural xenophobe, yo.”

lol. More like, I’d like this game for its art design, but unfortunately I despise turn-based action games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Max Pain

3 weeks of waiting … this is gonna be the most boring summer ever..

#7 1 year ago
  8. Jerykk

I don’t think the issue is with gamers. The issue is with publishers. Barring Paradox, publishers are only interested in big-budget AAA games. While there’s definitely an audience for more niche games like SR, this audience isn’t large enough to catch the attention of publishers. They want to sell 5+ million units, not 100k.

For what it’s worth, Mirror’s Edge sold 2.5 million units. Unfortunately, that’s considered a failure by modern publisher standards.

#8 1 year ago