Baldur’s Gate 3 still possible, but dev demoralised over recent legal action

Monday, 24th June 2013 12:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Baldur’s Gate 3 was one of BeamDog’s long-term goals, but thanks to recent and complex legal issues, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition was withdrawn from sale, and its sequel was placed on indefinite hold. Despite the team’s current “legal hell”, Beamdog head Trent Oster has said a third game is still possible in a new interview.

Speaking with RPS on the matter, Oster said, “The prognosis [for resuming work on Baldur's Gate] is mixed. Best case, we can sort this out soon. Worst case, this could be in legal hell for a while. I like making games, but this contractual dispute bullshit keeps me up at night.”

On the potential development of Baldur’s Gate 3, he added, “Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is on indefinite hold, as is the current patch. Baldur’s Gate III, we are still interested in the concept, but currently I’d say were very demoralized.”

It still isn’t clear exactly what the legal issues involve, or who the complaining party is, but all could be revealed in due course.

For now, would you like to see Baldur’s Gate 3 happen? Let us know below.

Thanks Polygon.

1. Sylrissa

I never bought into beamdogs version, as I’m perfectly happy sticking to my GoG version + mods.

Hope more about this situation comes out though, I’m curious why it’s happened.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

It’s pretty ridiculous that they won’t say who is sueing them though. “Beamdog sued by mysterious invisible party”. Surely something like that that has to be public information.

Interplay maybe?

#2 1 year ago
  3. boothegreat

Surely it has to be from a company related to the original series… Wonder who would do this. I would literally cry if no more BG is released :(

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

According to Wikipedia Enhanced Edition was published by Atari.

Atari is dead and they’re selling off their assets in a THQ-style auction, so that’s probably piece of the puzzle.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Joe_Gamer

Lawyers….Lawyers never change….

#5 1 year ago
  6. MarcoosVGC

I’m still waiting for Dark Alliance 3…

#6 1 year ago
  7. soulburner

I like the Enhanced Edition and I was looking forward to the new patch that would probably make this version appeal to all the gamers who disliked it.

All Beamdog should do now is to develop their own game. All they did for Baldur’s Gate 3 should be modified so it doesn’t infringe on any licences. Kind of what Obsidian is doing with Project Eternity – it’s as familiar to the old Forgotten Realms games as possible while being set in a different universe entirely.

I wish the developers all the best and I hope they will one day get the chance to return to Baldur’s Gate and make the Enhanced Editions they always wanted to. I hope the new patch to BG1:EE somehow leaks… if the legal issue is not positively resolved.

#7 1 year ago