David Cage and Yu Suzuki discuss Shenmue and story-telling

Friday, 21st June 2013 12:46 GMT By Dave Cook

David Cage and Yu Suzuki have been interviewed by Camouflaj developer Ryan Payton about Shenmue, the art of story-telling and QTEs.

In the clip Cage said, “At the time of Shenmue I was working on Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit, and when Shenmue was released I thought that we followed the same process and same thinking. We found different solutions, but I thought that we were looking for the same thing; to tell an interactive story.”

Now then, which game do you think managed interactive story-telling better – Shenmue or Fahrenheit? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks Shenmue Dojo.

1. redwood

next shenmue exclusive to ps4 :P

#1 10 months ago
  2. dreamcastnews

This is all a little too coincidental I reckon…. I think Sony could be working to get Shenmue on PS4, if so; I’m glad I pre-ordered one yesterday ;)

Tough to judge the stories though…. I found Fahrenheit was more tense and gripping, Shenmue you could lose hours in looking at those superb graphics and so many things going on.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Stardog

A Shenmue game in the Heavy Rain style would be a godsend.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Citrus raptor

I don’t get it; was Cage working on Indigo Prophecy back in 98-99?

#4 10 months ago
  5. dreamcastnews

I guess so…. Although Nomad Soul was being worked on around that time so maybe conceptually it existed.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Citrus raptor

News for me. Or maybe he just thought about it at that time, pre-production or something?

#6 10 months ago
  7. dreamcastnews

Yeah I think David Cage is one of those who waits for technology to make his visions reality.

#7 10 months ago
  8. xino

we can’t get another Shenmue unless there’s a Shenmue HD release

#8 10 months ago
  9. bitsnark

Comparing Indigo Prophecy to Shenumue is roughly the videogame equivalent of treason.

#9 10 months ago
  10. ps3fanboy

give us a new shenmue game plz, been waiting forever for a 3…

#10 10 months ago
  11. Fin

Nah, Shenmue HD would suck unbelievably badly. They’ve not aged well at all.
    A new one in the style of Heavy Rain could certainly work, but fuckin’ hell the originals would be really archaic now. Seriously. Definition of rose-tinted glasses.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Gekidami

^ Indeed, the terrible voice acting alone would probably put most people off these days.

#12 10 months ago