DayZ more likely on PS4 than Xbox One

Friday, 14th June 2013 01:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Both Microsoft and Sony have approached Bohemia Interactive about porting DayZ to new hardware, but creator Dean “Rocket” Hall is more in favour of the PlayStation 4 than Xbox One.

“We talked to both of them. But, as I’m sure you’re aware, Sony lets you self-publish and they don’t make you pay for updates,” Hall told Eurogamer.

“Microsoft requires you to have a publisher. They have no digital distribution strategy and they require you to pay $10,000, or whatever it is, for updates.”

Hall said that Bohemia likes Sony, and that he personally liked what he saw on the PlayStation 4.

“I like what I saw on the Xbox in a lot of cases as well,” he added. I’m not shitting on them. I’m kind of hopeful that Microsoft has just forgot to talk about its indie support. Maybe I’m being a bit naive.”

The architecture of both consoles mean Hall doesn’t see many barriers to getting DayZ running on either of them.

“It’s totally achievable. The only barriers are the ones console manufacturers put up in the way of indie devs,” he said.

“That’s the only barrier now. I’d love to see this on Xbox Live. I’d love to see it on PS4.”

A console port is probably inevitable but the DayZ team won’t start on it until the PC standalone release is finished.

Thanks, Massively.

1. MCTJim

on either platform I have not had the desire to play indie games…go figure

#1 10 months ago
  2. Tavarish

@1 DayZ is hardly indie game when considering development talent, veterans, behind it.

#2 10 months ago
  3. ps3fanboy

smart move to get your game on the ps4, and not on the sinking flagship of microsoft called the xbone.

#3 10 months ago
  4. psfanboy

Great!! Hopefully it comes to my new Playstation!

#4 10 months ago
  5. superjay779

lol there’s like an army of PS fanboys. So I take it they never took you to the conference PS3fanboy.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Why would you do that when you could use the infinite processing power of the clooooud on Xbox One, Dean? WHY?!

#6 10 months ago
  7. superjay779

@6 Did you read the article. He said he doesn’t want as many restrictions in place for indies.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 I was being intentionally overdramatic at Microsoft’s expense..

#8 10 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

^ aka trolling.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 Because disliking Microsoft’s pompous bullshir is such an uncommon feeling around here right now…*rolls eyes*

#10 10 months ago
  11. superjay779

So it’s ok to troll as long as everyone is doing it.

#11 10 months ago
  12. DarkElfa

Trolls in general are best ignored and the word is more over used and miss-used than love.

#12 10 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

Not “everyone” is doing it.

Only the trolls…

#13 10 months ago
  14. superjay779

“If everyone is doing it then it isn’t exactly trolling. Trolling is something intentionally done to try and pull someone into a heated discussion or start a fight of some sort.”

It’s still trolling it’s just that there is no one left to be drawn in to fight. I think the word troll id underused especially around here.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

Trolling is the act of saying something with the deliberate intent of getting a reaction out of people.

I was simply making a sarcastic statement regarding the console’s ludicrously overblown capabilities, and a complete lack of any desire to work with Microsoft… a popular opinion amongst independent developers of late, it seems.

The console is a joke, and the company making it is quickly becoming one. I intend to treat them as such. I have been platform neutral for 25 years, but Microsoft is the first company to ever give me reason to straight up not support a console.

Apparently having an opinion and stating it constitutes as “trolling” now.

#15 10 months ago
  16. superjay779

“console’s ludicrously overblown capabilities”"The console is a joke, and the company making it is quickly becoming one.” Yes that is trolling but hey continue. I’m not gonna stop you and hey everyone else is doing it.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Ireland Michael

@16 How is having an opinion trolling, exactly?

It’s my opinion on an inanimate hunk of hardware. If my opinion of a piece of machinery causes an emotional reaction in someone else, well…

#17 10 months ago
  18. superjay779

@17 Yes I do get to emotional. I really wish I could turn it off lol.

#18 10 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

Well there you go, it’s clearly trolling.

We now know that such needless comments cause a negative, emotional response in people, so any continued attempt to repeat them in this or other articles, is obviously done knowing that people will react, and done expecting a negative response.

Blatant trolling.

#19 10 months ago
  20. The_Red

@Ireland Michael

Why do you waste your time explaining something to blind fans? It doesn’t matter what you say or what your opinion is. To them, anyone who doesn’t love Xbox One is a troll.

#20 10 months ago
  21. sg1974

Trolling? What, like starting this troll thread and adding two further comments intended to wind people up further and defend your trolling?

You’re so funny G1ga. And full of shit. And to think Michael actually defended you in that string.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@21 He did clearly post that only as a bit of fun…

Having preferences is fine, but when people start judging others based on their hardware choices, its probably time to reign it in a bit…

#22 10 months ago
  23. sg1974

Yes will imagine what he would have said if someone had posted the same video and comment for his favourite console.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Beta

In what world is criticising a company or console trolling?

If you get insulted or emotional when somebody does this I think you need to take a step back from the computer. ;)

#24 10 months ago
  25. mojo

13: sais the troll.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Bloobat

@22 While he may have done that as a bit of fun it’s still going to clearly provoke people who like the Playstation, the fact that he made no mention of the Xbox crashes is just sad. In fact I watched every conference bar Ubisoft’s and all three I saw experienced technical difficulties.

If people can’t post something constructive then they shouldn’t post at all.

@24 it’s ok to criticize a company/product but when you completely ignore the fact that there were technical difficulties on both sides (Ms’s lack of sound on more than one occasion) then it isn’t criticizm, just trolling.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Ireland Michael

@26 Yeah, the start of that Battlefield segment was pretty much the definition of “awkward silence”.

But man, Sony’s conference, and the entire audience chanting their name when they announced the lack of DRM… I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Bloobat

@27 Yeah that was impressive, I was so happy when they announced that. I have never seen anything like that at E3.

I’m not going to lie I prefer PlayStation and will definitely be getting a PS4, however that doesn’t stop me from criticizing Sony or praising Microsoft, for one although I thought the Sony conference was great I did miss the Last Guardian and a Naughty Dog announcement, the fact that Plus is now required, while not effecting me as I have been a member since day one, is disappointing for many I am sure and I know some of my friends will be more than a little annoyed.
    I also feel sorry for Microsoft in a way, although I thought their reveal was a pile of crap they did fulfill their promise of games, games, games at their E3 conference and while not all were my cup of tea they redeemed themselves to a certain extent. I also felt sorry for the Battlefield guy when shouts of ‘Xbox off’ and ‘Xbox Sucks’ started coming from the crowd when there was no audio, surprising considering the audience are supposed to be industry professionals…
    What I am trying to say is I think its fine for people to have allegiances as most people do, however when people are not willing to offer any criticism to their platform of choice or are not able to praise the competition at all, no matter how small that praise may be, it becomes frustrating and I do not believe that there should be a place on comment sections for people who do that!

Essay over ;)

#28 10 months ago
  29. manamana

Thats not exactly indipendent-developer friendly, is it?

As far as DayZ on consoles goes, they have so many problems to rule out, that I don’t see them out before late 2014. It already mostly looks and feels outdated, by then it’s just a super-niche game.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@28 Essay appreciated.

Project Spark genuinely blew me away. That is the one of the most interesting and fun game concepts I’ve seen since LitteBigPlanet and the original Scribblenauts were announced.

If it wasn’t for the horrendous DRM restrictions in place on the hardware, I would literally buy it day one for that game alone.

@29 The 360 has had the same system in place for developers and publishers since day one, far as I know. Though last I heard, it was $4,000 to patch a game, not $10,000. It’s pretty damn ludicrous either way,

#30 10 months ago
  31. manamana

@30 Plus you need a publisher. See Oddworld article, Lanning sums it all up in this sentence: “Why do we need a publisher when we self-finance our games, we build our own IP, we manage our own IP and we’ve turned nearly two million units online as indie publishers sold – not free downloads? Why? What’s wrong with us?”

#31 10 months ago
  32. DeVitowned

A whole lot of crying and dick slurping going on around here. Just saying.

#32 10 months ago
  33. Ireland Michael

@31 Yeah, already commented there. =P

#33 10 months ago
  34. Bloobat

@32 Grow up. Just saying.

#34 10 months ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

Be quiet, sg1974.

I might take you seriously if I ever see you complain about a single word from ps3fanboy.

Until then, you’re clearly just being a fanboy.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Ireland Michael

@35 And there you go doing it someone else. Dictating to everyone what they shouod do and say on the site, because you don’t like it. Get off your lanky horse, Christ.

#36 10 months ago
  37. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, so that’s what you call dictating, is it?

Please explain to me exactly how that’s dictating, then.

#37 10 months ago
  38. DeVitowned

@34 My methods may be crude and lewd, but I do make a point about blind loyalty. People seem adamant on character assassination when it comes to bringing up valid criticisms about something they feel so passionate. It’s almost as bad as that Twilight Team Jacob, Team Edward bullshit. So, yeah, boohoo and chuggalug.

It’s no mystery Microsoft has been shooting themselves in the foot ever since the May reveal, and the self-destruction is even picking up steam. Why has Microsoft turned itself around from being the saviours of indies to burning bridges with such odd policies? They’re screwing over not only a loyal fanbase of potential consumers, but also an army of independent developers. Let’s face it, indies are the ones taking the biggest risks trying to innovate and keep the industry alive. Why try to cater more toward the big publishers that are churning out generic games in an ocean of sequels?

As for DayZ, I’m going to go YouTube it and try to figure out what the hell it is. If it’s zombies, I’m going to love it. :D

#38 10 months ago
  39. sg1974

That’s funny G1GA, I must have imagined those several occasions in the past week alone on which I told PS3f to shut up and lumped him in with Da Man.

You really do have a highly selective memory and selective sight – just like the dictatorial spoilt brat you are.

You get fail of the week.

#39 10 months ago
  40. Christopher Jack

@30, Project Spark will be available on Windows 8 but given your attitude, it’s doubtful you’ve upgraded from Windows 7. I wouldn’t blame you either although so far my only negative experience is that in some games if I click in the bottom I am forcibly taken to the start menu and that often has a strong impact in performance for a while.

#40 10 months ago
  41. G1GAHURTZ

People keep talking.

But they don’t provide any links…

I wonder why. Must be the desperation.

#41 10 months ago
  42. NocturnalB

@G1GAHURTZ

I don’t quite understand you. I’ve been coming here for a little bit now and I’ve seen you post a lot. A LOT a lot honestly, and while I completely respect that you have no issues or personal complaints over the new Xbox console, you seem to be at the center of arguments and “fights” about 40% of the time of my reading time. No I’m going to bother trying to find proof or evidence, but I do feel the need to ask, why is that? Is it that you just genuinely enjoy stirring the proverbial pot or what’s the deal? I’m genuinely asking. Believe it or not in certain cases I’ve actually agreed with you, although lately I haven’t.

#42 10 months ago
  43. zinc

Lively “debate” on the forums/threads is the closest Giga gets to gaming.

He put down his pad awhile back.

#43 10 months ago
  44. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a historical thing, NocturnalB.

I’ve been in these comment sections for years, and over that time, I’ve made a fair few vindictive enemies.

Years ago, I used to troll the PS3, and clearly, people have never ‘forgiven’ me.

Or more accurately, people, such as sg1974 in this very thread, have been desperate to get one over on me for a long time.

You say that I post a lot, but the reality is that I don’t. If you look at every single X1 related news story on VG247, you’ll probably find that I’ve commented in less than 10% of them.

The issue is that, when I do comment, the people who still see me as a monster (just look at Michael O’Connor’s unpleasant tirade yesterday, and sg1974′s ridiculous description above) are often quick to try and turn it into a confrontation.

Think about the stuff that I say…

‘I like this game’, ‘this is a cool technology’, ‘I don’t have any problem with it’, etc, etc…

I pretty much say the exact same things that people like viralshag and stretch215 say. All positive stuff, not attacking anything.

Then look at what other people say…

‘Go f**k yourself’, ‘you’re a bully’, ‘piece of sh*t’, ‘dictator’, etc, etc…

Now you tell me where you think the fault lies.

They just want me to go away. Even if I suddenly started praising Sony, ditched my 360 into a bin and trolled MS at every opportunity, they would still carry on regardless.

It’s just a personal thing that some people can’t let go of.

I don’t really care, though. If anyone can point out any mistakes I’m making, I’ll gladly change. Until then, it’s business as usual.

#44 10 months ago
  45. gargus

I will get it on PC if its the only system its on, but I would love to see this come to the PS4.

#45 10 months ago