Konami E3: MGS 5 stars Kiefer Sutherland as Snake

Thursday, 6th June 2013 17:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Konami’s pre-E3 video was shown this evening, during which Kiefer Sutherland was announced as the voice of Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5. New information was announced for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and a new trailer was shown. Information on PES 2014′s realism and how it was developed was also discussed. Get everything below.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Metal gear Solid 5 takes place in the year 1984, and according to Hideo Kojima, Snake is around 49 years of age. Because of this, he wanted an actor who would fit Snake’s character.

Kojima’s friend, producer Avi Arad suggested Keifer Sutherland; an offer was presented; and accepted by the actor.

Sutherland said that while he is not himself a gamer, he was familiar with Metal Gear Solid’s legacy and was honored to become part of it.

“I’m not a gamer and I even knew about this game,” said Sutherland. “I was certainly aware of the legacy of these games, and the unbelievable success of these games.”

During the game’s development, he also performed motion capture sequences, something he said he had never done previously.

This is the first time David Hayter has not been cast as Snake in a Metal Gear Solid title, but according to Hayter on Twitter, he has no hard feelings on the matter: “Can’t fault @RealKiefer. Great actor, good man. The game will probably still be excellent. Like New Coke!”

Hideo Kojima said the themes in the game will be “a little different from previous games in the series,” noting two such themes will center around race and revenge. The game will be a bit darker, emotional, and more mature storywise.

A release date has yet to be announced.

PES 2014

The video also featured PES 2014 producer Kei Masuda discussing the game’s technology. The engine used is based on the Fox Engine and uses the True Ball system which allows the player to move ball “in any direction” as well as the on-screen football player.

Also discussed was the new Motion Animation Stability System which is all about collision animations, and how it adds realism to dynamic events – like when players ram into one another.

Emotions and motivation levels will also be present, and can be influenced by events on the field or whether the team is playing at home or not.

“This time, we’ve focused on the total package, such as user experience, player controls and more,” said producer Kei Masuda during the pre-recorded event.

More features will be announced at a later date.

PES 2014 releases on PC, PSP, PS3, and Xbox 360 in 2013.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

MercurySteam said in the video that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 will focus on Dracula, and it will explain his story a bit better, and differently than before.

According to producer Dave Cox, the game takes up where the epilogue in Lords of Shadow one left off.

In Lords of Shadow 2, Gabriel Belmont has hidden himself away from the modern world, and is visited by an old friend. Zobek tells Dracula he can free him of his immortality – but he needs to stop hiding in the shadows and join the world of the living in order to become human once more.

The game was described by the developers as “dark, even cruel” and the team adapted the Mercury Engine so that the game’s world will grow organically as Dracula walks through it. Players can go virtually anywhere they like, and there will be no loading times when moving about the world.

Enemies in the game will also have shields and armor, all of which needs to be broken through in order to best them. Players will need to use a bit strategy when fighting.

The game also as a new free-moving camera which will allow players a 360 degree view the game world

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is out this winter on PC, PS3, and XBox 360.

1. SameeR_Fisher

you didn’t have to ask.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

2. salarta

I notice they don’t say Silent Hill, and frankly that’s a good thing. They’ve fucked up Silent Hill enough with every game made after SH4. Better to let it rest if they can’t treat it right than to try to suck money out of a familiar brand name.

3. CyberMarco

*Kept you waiting, huh?*

!

4. machy

I wish if they kept MSG as playstation exclusive .. I fear they are going down the hill like square enix did with FF13 when they went multi-plat

just saying

5. KAP

Last Of Us, GTAV & Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 2 are the only games I’m most looking forward to this generation.
    What’s most ironic, Lords Of Shadow 1 is the first Castlevania game I’ve ever played. That I guess is just a testament to how insanely amazing that game is.

Dave Cox, please… Don’t disappoint!

6. Hunam

It’s Konami. Another bad Silent Hill game is bound to turn up eventually. Just like another Breath of Fire game is probably never going to happen.

7. OmegaSlayer

Castlevania…
    This is one of the games I looked forward more but latest trailer put me off.
    Having only 2 settings put me off. Castle+City.
    Having free cam really put me off.
    Mercury Steam better release a gameplay trailer this time.

8. SplatteredHouse

Give me something Goemon, and I’ll be elated! Give me something Castlevania (<3 Mercury Steam), and I'll be very happy. Give me something PES and I'll be curious. Give me something MGS and chances are I'll shoot you a glance of indifference.
    The Konami pre-E3 show sounds promising. :)

9. SameeR_Fisher

@7: you are worrying for the wrong reasons mate.

The Last trailer was ingame, why didn’t you like it ?!

Both settings take place in castles, the City will be Gothic and old school don’t worry.

Free Camera is better than fixed one, but if you like fixed, just don’t touch the camera, it will be have the fixed one way.

This trailer will have gameplay, and I can’t wait.

Don’t go on giving up on Mercury Steam, they deserve our support, right ?! :)

10. Belmont

I really look forward to MGS5,First solid and new home console MGS since MGS4. I just hope that it comes to PS4 as well.

11. JGMR

People still going for a new MGS eh? Shows that they still haven’t found out what Metal Gear Solid 2 was actually about…

12. salarta

URL isn’t working…

Edit: for Konami’s official one, the Twitch one works

13. Razor

Ooo, Sutherland should be good.

14. silverstorm

Pathetic that every livestream ever has problems

15. TheLastDodo

Kiefer Sutherland?!?

O_O

16. CaptPierce

First Jack Bauer, now Snake. I was mad with no David Hayter, but this will do. FUCK YES I CAN’T WAIT!

17. f1r3storm

It’s not even live, show is already available here: http://www.youtube.com/user/konami/videos

18. Stephany Nunneley

@17 *mad face* Thanks (not mad face at you btw)

Sam is getting it now. I still have to keep tweeting news though.

No wonder many sites had the Kiefer news up before it was shown.

19. Gheritt White

Well, I’ll be…

:-O

Stone the crows.

20. Gekidami

I knew they were dropping Hayter for a “Celebrity”.

21. manamana

Kiefer Sutherland really is something.

22. Citrus raptor

Wtf was that in he end? O_O

23. Max Payne

So MGS 5 will take place within a 24 hour time period ?

24. KAP

So errrr… David Hayter isn’t coming back then?….. sigh
    Well least LOS2 trailer looked fuckin insane!!!

25. POOP CRUSTY

I’m crushed :’(
    No Hayter so this feels bad to me. How could Kojima do him so dirty? Here I thought he actually cared about our wants.

26. SplatteredHouse

@22 I have no earthly idea. But the trailer that preceded it…SENSATIONAL!! \o/

Also, the PES part was really interesting. I really like how Konami try to translate the game to player’s screens like that. Also, I really thought the focus on controlling momentum of the player and of the ball as a separate measure was very cool – along with the fact that these considerations even apply when the ball is airborne!

27. Dark

Can’t wait for LOS2 , that trailer looked amazing!

28. GenericShooterSoldier

What i’m so confused???
    Where’s the Metal Geaar trailer? What was the massive suprise konami teased? WTF was that castlevania bit at the end? Why was the castlevania trailer so long? Why!!!!!

29. CaptPierce

Gamers hate change?

In other news, water is wet, war is in the Middle East, and Michael Bay makes shit movies.

30. manamana

LoS2 really gave me goosebumps. Love Sir Patrick Stewarts voice and the music is outstanding. This is gonna be awesome.

31. Moonwalker1982

Terrible show, what the fuck man. Nothing absolutely nothing new on MGS V, except for the voice actor. The LoS2 trailer was great though.

I don’t understand why David Hayter had a few curious tweets recently, it really seemed like he was in on the joke and that he was Snake’s voice after all.

32. EdNorton

Here’s the behind the scenes with Kojima and Sutherland:

33. Asbrand

I guess Hayter isn’t old enough for Kojima. Hideo wanted forty years old actor, David is ”just” 44, probably not that old. -.-’

34. POOP CRUSTY

Well hayter could still be the voice actor…. OH GOD I’M IN DENIAL!!!!

35. Edo

Are there any spoilers from the first game in that LoS2 trailer(eagerly awaiting to play the 1st one on PC)?

36. Clupula

Well, I guess after years of cigar smoking, I don’t have a problem with Big Boss’ 49 year old voice being Sutherland.

I still think they should have Hayter do the voice for the scenes that take place right after Peace Walker, though.

37. Ireland Michael

I hate to say I told you so, but…

38. SplatteredHouse

@35 not a one as long as you start watching later in the trailer – 2:07 ish. :)

39. POOP CRUSTY

@IRELAND MICHAEL
    WHYYYYYYYYYYY OHHHHHHHHHH WHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! ·,_,·
    You were right… I was wrong……

40. Mike W

Kiefer Sutherland famous line from 24: ‘Damn!!’

41. Bomba Luigi

Let Doyle do the Job would make Sense, or even Kurt Russel, but Kiefer? I mean… what exactly is the Reason fo that Change? Is it the Same Motion Capture thingy stuff that Throw Ironside out?

All I want as stupid Fanboy is a good Reason for a change like that, and I’m fine. Please insert good (and I mean good) Reason here Kojima.

42. Ireland Michael

@39 Hehehe.

There there. It’s okay, *hug^

43. Erthazus

The thing is, in the first trailer, the guy that helps Snake actually sounds like Kiefer Sutherland.

snake on the other hand has a different voice. Something tells me it’s a Kojima’s PR stunt. I’m sure.

44. DSB

I’m not any kind of MGS fan or anything, but why on earth would they do that?

45. Edo

@38 Thanks :).

46. Stephany Nunneley

Okay I think I have everything in there. If I don’t apologies.

47. CyberMarco

@43 – Do you think David Hayter will be voicing Big Boss after all? If true, oh man! Kojima-san is the troll of the century. :p

48. Agt_Pendergast

Hey, it’s a better replacement VA than whoever they got for the new Sam Fisher.

49. GwynbleiddiuM

Is it me or did they show too much of Castlevania?? It was too much especially since it was too revealing and the trailer lacked direction. I’m glad it comes to PC, probably will pick it up it looked great.

50. SplatteredHouse

followed by “getting fired was never so heartwarming”, after thanking his followers for their support.

51. Belmont

I think that if it is an stunt, Kojima is pushing it too far towards being ridiculous and stupid. It brigs more harm than good ! I think Kiefer S is the new voice, for real. All the previous trailers were probably a trick to keep us away from expecting Kiefer as Snake.

52. GwynbleiddiuM

@51 Since it’s the 80′s if the timeline extends to late 80′s we can expect a young Solid Snake, or even Solidus, having them both voiced by the same guy would seem weird so I wouldn’t say that’s purely a PR stunt, but it’s Kojima we can’t really be sure of anything he enjoys pulling people’s legs.

53. OmegaSlayer

Pleased
    ^________________^

54. The Last Nomad

I thought I’d be angry if it turned out snake would be played by a famous actor. But i wasn’t really prepared for this… Keifer Sutherland as Snake? I don’t see why that won’t work. Once he puts on a suitable gravelly voice. I assume that was him at the end of the latest MGS 5 trailer, and if so, that’ll do nicely.

55. Armitage Shanks

Yeah,i figure Hayter will be back to voice Solid Snake once the timeline catches up and he rejoins the series for the inevitable Metal Gear remake.

56. manamana

I can see that David Hayter just wouldn’t have the required actor skills, when it comes to the refined mo-cap from nowadays. And Kojima loves to have Hollywood flair around him. Nothing else would make sense.

57. salarta

I find it kind of funny that a company deciding not to stick to the same actor for the sole purpose of honoring tradition is considered something of a sin, but when it comes to the content of the games themselves, respecting the past and tradition is treated like it’s a terrible thing to do and the game has to be the exact opposite of everything the franchise used to be.

58. manamana

On the other hand, what would make perfect sense, is to have them both. One alongside the other.

Edit: and one thing, correct me if I’m wrong, but imagine Sutherlands face wrapped in white bandages (you know, like in the interview) – isn’t it him?

59. DSB

@57 That’s because you choose to see everything as black and white. It’s either 100% wrong or 100% right.

Most people would rather judge on a case by case basis and treat games according to their merits.

You know, like playing them, and then forming an opinion, as opposed to the opposite.

A game, and a sequel, doesn’t have to be the sum of its parts. It’s not a question of changes or not, it’s a question of whether those changes have merit or not. There’s no ratio or formula there.

60. Ireland Michael

@57 BUT THEY’RE NOT PRESERVING THE CHARACTER! SNAKE AND HAYTER ARE INTRINSICALLY ATTACHED! ITS NOT THE SAME!

Etc. etc. etc.

61. Clupula

@59 – Salarta doesn’t need to bother with actually acquiring knowledge by doing something like playing the games he complains about. He’d rather just pull random opinions out of his ass.

That’s why he will defend Dennis Dyack, but rant about Toriyama and the new Tomb Raider.

62. DSB

@61 That’s called being a normal, subjective human being. It doesn’t make any objective sense, but that’s where the argument comes in. The argument is supposed to explain why you think like that.

I may have huge problems with an aspect of one game, while thinking it’s completely appropriate in a different game. It’s mostly intuition, rather than science.

The problem starts when you suppose that that subjectivity isn’t allowed, or valid.

Some commenters are awfully busy boasting of their intellectual superiority and exquisite taste, while putting everybody else down, and ironically those commenters are also usually the least capable at substantiating their arguments, when it comes to critisizing or defending the games they love and hate.

63. zinc

Its suddenly got very deep around here…

*Puts on water-wings*

64. absolutezero

I hope to KS sleeps walks the fuck through the entire game.

65. Gheritt White

I’d just like to say that I’m intellectually superior and have exquisite taste.

66. YoungZer0

Told ya Hayter wouldn’t return!

Sounds like Hideo wanted to be play with the big guys.

I also love Hayters reaction, “Like New Coke”

67. DSB

@63 Puh-lease, a bit of common sense never hurt anybody.

@66 That’s all the proof I need!

68. YoungZer0

@66: *claps*

How bad was the Castlevania trailer? I’ve never seen a trailer so unfocused with it’s narrative. It’s like they took as many parts of as many cutscenes they could find and threw them together.

Completely pointless.

69. ps3fanboy

@69 on that Castlevania trailer, they should have given the warning “contain content inappropriate for everyone that played the first game” it was truly a horrible..

70. salarta

@66: Yes, but are you sexy? That’s what REALLY matters!

71. zinc

@66, I call you out sir!

A true gent of taste, would never claim intellectual superiority !

They would walk around all smug like, innit?

72. zinc

@68, The use of common sense is painful to many on the internet

73. POOP CRUSTY

I’m calling it. On the trailer that will be shown at E3 it will be revealed that Hayter will voice snake. Just look at his Twitter picture, he changed to a KS picture…. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

74. YoungZer0

Live with it, Hayter is gone.

75. tmac2011

jack bauer and big boss = time parodox

76. OmegaSlayer

Anyway, I loved Castlevania LOS, this trailer was a bit meh, it reassured me of the game quality, but the trailer was really meh.
    And the whole pre-E3 stuff was underwhelming and pointless to say the least.