Metro: Last Light “significantly outselling” its predecessor first week of release

Friday, 31st May 2013 19:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Deep Silver has announced that Metro: Last Light has been “significantly outselling” its predecessor Metro 2033 its first week of release, compared to the same launch period of its predecessor.

On PC, the game more than tripled Metro 2033′s worldwide sales over the same opening week period, and in the US alone, it sold through more boxed units in its first week of sale than Metro 2033 has managed lifetime to date.

Across all formats worldwide, the game sold more units in its first week than Metro 2033 in its first three. months

“Metro: Last Light is Deep Silver’s most critically acclaimed game to date,” said Menno van der Bil, international commercial director at Deep Silver in the press release.

“We are delighted with the deserved critical and commercial success the game has achieved, and hope that this success represents a statement of intent for future quality titles from Deep Silver. We would like to thank 4A Games for their talent, passion and commitment in helping us reach this milestone.”

“4A Games are honoured by the reception our latest project has received,” Andrew Prokhorov, creative director at 4A Games commented. “We are a small but dedicated team who are lucky to have been given the creative freedom and support to make the kind of experience we dream, as gamers, of playing. Our work on Metro: Last Light continues with new single player DLC, and we look forward to revealing future projects from the team. We want to thank all the Metro fans for support we have received.”

It was announced earlier this week Metro: Last Light would receive single-player DLC this summer, and a Season Pass is now available through Steam, PSN and Xbox Live for €14.99/$14.99/£11.99/1200 MS Points.

1. Moonwalker1982

Received my copy earlier this week, gonna start with it today or this weekend :)

2. Erthazus

This game is so gorgeous. Probably the best looking game on my PC this year even when Next Gen games will come out.

3. CyberMarco

And the best A.I.

4. Erthazus

^ I think this is a glitch. I finished the game long time ago and I had nothing like this.

But I agree that AI in this game is not very good. Some of the guys having issue with pathfinding for example.

5. Da Man

Yep, gorgeous. A phucking tunnel shooter, why on Earth would it look bad.

Just as clumsy and dull as any of these post soviet novels based bullshit.

6. Gekidami

This guy wasnt even trying to show how bad the AI is, he’s just doing an average play through, but obviously radiation has made everyone go blind.

I must say, this game looks like junk.

7. sh4dow

@3 & 6: Thank you guys so much for posting that! I was wondering whether they would finally fix the AI issues of Metro 2033 in this sequel.
    Seems like they went from “all AI being aware of your location” to “no AI being aware of your location”.
    Jesus f-ing Christ!

8. DSB

AI aside, is the game any good?

9. Malmer

One of the best games I’ve played for a very long time. The atmosphere is amazing. The storytelling is great. Gameplay is fun. And it sure is a looker.

The overall experience was way better for me than Bioshock Infinite with more variation, more fun gameplay, better storytelling (you get to actually experience things happening instead of just hearing about it in million audio logs). The background dialogs you can stop and listen to is great.

And the game has a real morality system that, based on lots of small decisions and actions along the way, changes what ending you get. Not the cheap “pick your favorite color” at the end, or Bioshock’s press X to choose our one ending.

The game can be run through, but it becomes amazing when you stop and listen. When you find hidden rooms. And when you have 30 seconds left on your air filter and not a new one anywhere in sight. The panic you feel is immersion heaven.

A true gem. This game is so far my GOTY.

(I played on the 360 – wish I had a high-end PC)

10. Edo

@DSB It’s not good…it’s brilliant.AI issues aside(I have encountered them too admittedly)it’s really atmospheric(especially the outdoor levels when the rain and wind hit your face)they have significantly improved the stealth and gunplay,also if you intent to play it on PC and if your rig can handle it…oh my.

11. DSB

Yeah, 2033 looked pretty good, but the optimization was pretty shoddy. Is it still a resource hog?

My rig can pull just about anything, but if the optimization isn’t up to snuff I may have to tinker with stuff.

12. Edo

@DSB I had some trouble since I am using AMD gfx card but they quickly released a patch that fixed that,and in general I would have to say that it is better optimized than the first one.Also interestingly it’s more CPU heavy than GPU(in my case at least)but again if your rig can handle it with all the bells & whistles on I dare to say it’s the best looking game out there right now(yes even better than Crysis 3:) ).

13. YoungZer0

@8: Basically what #9 said. It’s my second favorite game of the year. I dunno if this is true, but the ai issues seem to be limited to the console versions. I never had issues with the PC version. Neither with the first one, nor with the second one. I played both titles on two different PC’s and encountered no issues with the ai.

In my opinion it’s far superior to Bioshock Infinite. It’s smarter, more mature and much more enjoyable. The writing is sharper and feels honest.

The horror elements work fantastic with the tone of the game. You really think the Metro is a living, breathing creature on its own.

It’s not always dark and bleak, you encounter good people along your way and you start listening to them simply because you care, not because the game rewards you for it. It all seems very real, especially if you compare it to other Post-Apocalyptic videogames. The only problem I have with the narrative is that Artjom really needs to have a voice.

The sneaking and shooting have been significantly improved. You can now sneak up on people, punch or stab them. You can even do that during combat. There is a pause between seeing you and alarming the guards, which all sneaking games should have.

It’s a little bit easier than the previous game, but still much more difficult than other games in the genre. Especially the Ranger Mode. It’s absolutely awesome. There’s just nothing you can compare to it.

There’s no hud. Absolutely nothing to help you. You don’t know how much clips you have left, only how much ammo you have in your current mag. You don’t know how much filters you have, or how many grenades. It’s absolutely beautiful. Atmosphere doesn’t get thicker than this.

It’s also a real beauty too, especially on PC and I think it runs even better than the previous game.

Also, there is a stripper scene with physics being put to good use.

14. TheLastDodo

That is great news.

I’d like to say well deserved but I haven’t started Last Light yet.

I’m half way through 2033 right now, apart from the odd moments of frustration and that stealth just doesn’t seem to work then I’m really enjoying it.

Currently on an escort mission and the controls suck.

15. Erthazus

@8, “AI aside, is the game any good?”

you liked Infinite, so you will enjoy this even more.

16. Erthazus

I don’t know about consoles but the videos where you walk and AI does not do anything for me was bullshit. If you walked they always heard what were you doing.

the problem with AI is that it has an issue with pathfinding and it glitches sometimes. For example I had a hillarious battle when soldier could not find a way how to walk to the next room. LOL.

and if you have a good PC prepare for the best visuals in this year.

17. BrahManDude

the game is all about the experience and it does deliver especially on the scares

18. Kyle Jackson

If any of you have access to a 3D setup, try last light. It looks amazing, and the night vision scope you get looks fantastic, give it a go!

19. Mjorh

Why in the hell some people tryin 2 compare this with Bioshock Infinite !?
    Man Bioshock is a masterpiece n probably the GOTY of 2013 , Metro is brilliant but not as Bioshock ,it has some flaws like AI n stuff , besides, comparing these two totally different games in case of atmposphere n graphics n stuff is kinda irrational !

20. Hcw87

Indeed, Metro Last Light is good, but Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece. This game haven’t evolved enough from 2033 in my eyes, it just feels very much the same game, with the same corridors etc.