PS4: no DRM campaign sparks response from Sony execs

Tuesday, 28th May 2013 11:25 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 fans took to Twitter over the weekend to protest against rumours that Sony was considering DRM and anti-used game safeguards for its next-gen console. Two of the campaign’s targets have responded to fans.

We reported on the NeoGAF-inspired campaign here, which saw gamers tweeting to Sony executives – including Sony’s president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida – to express their concern over rumours regarding PS4′s DRM restrictions.

Messages were tagged with #PS4NoDRM or #PS4USEDGAMES, and saw many gamers coming out in force to made their voices heard. Two Sony executives have now responded to the campaign, but Yoshida has yet to comment.

First, Sony’s head of hardware marketing John Koller had this to say:

While SCEA producer Nick Accordino added:

Sony has yet to reply to the campaign via official channels however, and so nothing is concrete yet. What do you think? Is Sony listening? Will it go through with DRM and anti-used policies? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. rbevanx

I think Sony are not gonna do it, if they were then I would have kept quiet.

If that’s the case MS are gonna lose big time just from this aspect. What a waste of 15 exclusives if that is the case, bet 12 of them are arcade and Kinnect games :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. xBASSxMONSTAx

I don’t think Sony have a choice really. All the 3rd party publishers will force Sony to do it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OmegaSlayer

I think it’s wise for Sony to leave the announcement after Microsoft E3 conference.
    If MS brings the big guns, Sony will steal the thunder with NoDRM.
    If MS is weak and Sony brings the goods, Sony can keep the DRM.

Very easy imho, this is a check match and Sony is in the position to wait.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bomba Luigi

I fear we all will not like the Answer to that Question. But I don’t give up Hope yet.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Wow, that’s disappointing.

I was expecting Sony to throttle Microsoft and come out with a decisive and clear message on the subject (a reverse Phil Harrison) but instead it’s just a couple of tweets essentially saying “U r sew cute, love u guys”.

With Microsoft fumbling left, right and center, you’d think Sony would be inspired to seize the moment.

#5 1 year ago
  6. orakaa

@5 : on the contrary, it’s quite wise. If Sony confirms they will go for no DRM, then Microsoft would be obliged to follow and would prepare themselves for E3.

On the contrary, if they let Microsoft going on their most DISASTROUS PR campaign ever, then they can literally steal all the thunder during E3.
    But if you read between, the lines (insider rumors as well as tweets from high level Sony employees), you can be reassured: there will probably not be any DRM on PS4

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

@5 Carpe Diem doesn’t seem to be their preferred modus operandi :)
    I think as much as MS are fumbling about, Sony have taken a huge misstep by not being clear as you say. I don’t think anyone will be stealing thunder though, because all bets are off come E3. In fact, forget E3, all bets are off once the machines start selling!

#7 1 year ago
  8. CyberMarco

“Guess the Question is: Who has more Power to Force Sony doing something? Gamer or Publisher?”

I think the consumer has the ultimate power, if we as consumer aren’t interested in the products/services the industry makes they can kiss goodbye all their efforts to capitalize on their investments.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@9 Are we a good group to base a judgement on the average consumer? When we look at the charts each week in disgust commenting on what has sold well, we realise that our opinions matter less and less in the grand scheme. I like what I like as do you and the buying public. But I think people love shiny convergence devices and the XBO is one whereas the PS4 is trying hard not to be one.

#9 1 year ago
  10. mistermogul

Customers are supposed to come first in business, period. With that in mind Sony should listen to this feedback and act on it before taking publishers/developers/retailers perspectives on board. You need to keep your consumers happy above all else as without them you have nothing.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Mjorh

Man 4 a second i thought i’m reading some BF&GF stuff!
    Give us a goddamn straight answer !

#11 1 year ago
  12. DaveDogg

TBH if an agreement has been struck with Sony & publishers or Microsoft & publishers then the deal is done but if at the moment it’s only on one side then sooner or later it will be the other way as well. if Microsoft is collecting license fees for EA, Activision & Ubi but Sony isn’t what incentive is there for those publishers to carry on producing product for Sony? Not Much I would imagine

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

@5 this is a business so of course sony will not confirm any thing right now. if sony goes public and confirm no drm, microsoft will remove their draconian drm. it is better to not tell anything and let microsoft dig their own grave… then seize the moment.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@9/10/11
    While you all make good points, i think we should look at this from a broader perspective. Without gamers: publishers, manufacturers and retailers have no business, without publishers: retailers and manufacturers have no product to sell and without retailers: publishers and manufacturers can’t put their products on the shelf.

#14 1 year ago
  15. FeaturePreacher

You know, a lot of people complained at that DMC piece of crap from Ninja Theory and everyone knows what the end result of that was. If Sony were not using DRM they would have easily said so by now. But as you can plainly see they’re just using flattery to distract you. For some this seems to be working. For those who can read between the lines, they should already know Sony’s response means that DRM is already a done deal with the publishers.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps3fanboy

@15 you forgot one thing the most important, the customers. with no customers there is no product to sell…

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

@14 Nonsense.

Microsoft and Sony both have their business models, supply chains, third party agreements, and everything else related to the launch locked in.

It’s too late to change it, they’re well into the execution phase.

As such, it’s purely a question of dosing and delivering that information to the customers at this point. And apparently they’re both failing, hard.

@6 See above, but I think you’re right in that it’s obvious that Sony are taking the cautious route.

Why, though? When you have the cards, play the fucking hand.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Joe Musashi

I think Sony will do whatever they’ve planned to do all along.

The sort of processes that drive this issue do not accommodate large change in some cute 48 hour window of internet overreaction.

JM

#18 1 year ago
  19. NiceFellow

Best thing for Sony would likely to drop hints slowly but keep a clear response until closer to launch. Annoying for folks like us but keeps MS guessing and they only need to be clear for the general consumer close to launch to have the right impact.

Personally I’m hoping they will shelve plans which would see MS (and no doubt the publishers pushing for this) faced with the possibility of losing out hard on one console and changing tack to match.

Every medium has a used goods market and I see no reason why games should be any different.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy
    “Without gamers: publishers, manufacturers and retailers have no business” Gamers are costumers/consumers and i did mention that although not the same way you did.

#20 1 year ago
  21. viralshag

@20, Somehow on this subject I very much doubt there would be many secrets between companies. I imagine this code activation idea is very much a joint venture between publishers and console manufactures, as they both have something to gain from it.

Sony are probably sitting in their boardrooms wondering either a) how can they get out of this and look like the better guy or b) carry on with the DRM and spin it to make them look like the better guy.

All they know for sure, is that some PS fans don’t like the idea and they’ll want to limit any sort backlash as much as possible. If they weren’t planning on using the same or similar DRM, this would be a simple under the rug statement “we do not use a code activation system for the PS4″.

I might be completely wrong but I would be surprised if I was.

#21 1 year ago
  22. ps3fanboy

@Lengendaryboss, i trim the fat and give you the to the bone facts…

#22 1 year ago
  23. MadFlavour

I’m going PC this gen.

But if Sony announce no DRM, and that they’re gonna try to do something about backward compatibility, I’ll buy one, just to vote with my wallet. Gonna get a Wii U too.

#23 1 year ago
  24. od3

I honestly dont think Sony will do it. They are in an amazing position right now. This has nothing to do with my opinion but, Xbox DOES appears to be losing in the popularity poll with the general public. All of the new XboxONE “fails” are made to seem incredibly bad by the public. Sony’s tiny acts of “generosity” (not being sarcastic, just how it could be seen by some), make them look amazing compared to the already shunned XboxONE.

Sony know this. They are winning in the popularity contest and it would benefit them GREATLY to not upset their fans at this very delicate deciding point. They are not going to put a foot wrong, and just quietly watch MS dig its own hole bigger and bigger.

So I really dont think they are going to start putting in almost universally hated, draconian “anti-theft” measures (that arn’t even needed if you wanted to protect your games). Sony is playing the “Good Guy Greg” card and it is f***ing genius.

#24 1 year ago
  25. polygem

these are tough times…i think it would be clever to attract the so called hardcore more again, make them play on your PLAYstation, focus on games and not on only.does.everything so much. the more casual market might be bigger, sure, that´s just math, but i think the so called gamers are much more reliable and therefore make the business in general much more calculable. you can always make a good business if you first of all keep those guys happy and then try to implement some extra features for their moms, dads, brothers, sisters, friends that aren´t as much into playing games. i really think it makes much more sense to look at the market from that perspective. i feel like sony realised that – but we will soon find out.

#25 1 year ago
  26. viralshag

@25, Or, they simply haven’t told you everything about the console as yet…

I’m waiting until closer to launch when all the details good and bad are announced and we know exactly what we’re getting in the box we buy. Until that time I think it’s foolish to cheer for one that has neither confirmed or denied anything, on this subject at the very least.

#26 1 year ago
  27. MidlifeAxe

I would love to see Sony support this and have NoDRM. Just for the reactions.

@27 Smart choice. I’m part of the PC master race (kidding, calm down) but I am leaning towards a PS4 for some exclusive titles and just for the experience again.

#27 1 year ago
  28. misieque

It’s either PS4 without DRM or I will buy a new PC. It’s that simple.

#28 1 year ago
  29. OlderGamer

Not pluging it, but does anyone else see the irony that gamers are so worried and disgusted with the direction MS(and maybe Sony) are taking with their consoles – while at the same time ignoring a console that is exactly what the very same gamers claim to want. Sans a mega powerful graphics force, the WiiU could be the best GAMING console coming out in the next few years.

Then again the smart money would be to stick with PS3 imo. If, that is, PS4 and Xone end up being clones in the negitive aspects of DRM Eye Toy/Kinect/used games/etc. In other words if the next gen releases from MS and Sony are truely shit…don’t buy them. You have other options.

And yes, I too am a PC first gamer.

#29 1 year ago
  30. viralshag

@28, Don’t worry I’m a part of the PC nation too. The PC is my main choice these days but I still like a console option.

I was very much a 360 man this gen and I bought a PS3 80gb just before they discontinued that model, I think. I’m not even sure how long after launch that was thinking about it but it wasn’t the console for me and I sold it last year. I love the Xbox pad too much and Live even more compared to the DualShock and PSN, although I regret missing out on PSN+ and Dust 514 (being an EvE player).

@30, While you’re not plugging it I’m not trolling but I think if the new next-gens fail, people will probably stick with their PS3 and 360s as apart from a new pad, it doesn’t offer THAT much more. ;)

#30 1 year ago
  31. OlderGamer

I agree Viral.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Rocketbilly

Sony has no reason to announce anything right now. With no cost and with no commitment to anything they are already getting a lot of good press and positive buzz.

They gain nothing from coming out with a meaningful statement right now. They can likely ride this positive press straight to their E3 announcement where they can get the maximum impact. If they don’t have bullshit DRM then they get a huge boost after weeks of effortless hype and if they do have bullshit DRM then they are starting from a higher point than MS who will have spent the intervening time losing face.

Also, it doesn’t get brought up enough, but the whole Used games/DRM system that Microsoft is bringing out would likely not be possible for Sony to implement. MS already has a direct communications system with Gamestop that Sony simply doesn’t. While Sony could certainly implement something similarly anti-consumer, the argument that they will do things the same way as their rivals seems to ignore the very different systems that are currently in place and the huge amount of money that it would cost them just to establish the necessary infrastructure.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dark

I hate DRM !! , i can’t trade or play used games!!
    so i’m going PC this gen!

oh wait…

#33 1 year ago
  34. ps3fanboy

@34 YEAH THATS RIGHT STEAM,ORIGIN,UPLAY,GFWL HAVE ALL DRM ON THE PC….. THATS WHY I QUIT PC GAMING IN 2007. PS3 IS THE BEST SOLUTION OUT THERE AT THE MOMENT AND WII-U ON SECOND PLACE… ITS A FACT.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Lord Gremlin

I’d say DRM-wise PS4 will function 100% identical to PS3. If publisher is a capital douche, they can always lock something under online pass.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Samoan Spider

@35 Keep it down, I’m sleeping here! And how much are the games on your PS3 and Wii-U? New I mean. I’ll take all the DRM under the sun if it means I spend very little on the games. I mean, entire collectors editions for £5 or £6. Ridiculous :P

#36 1 year ago
  37. Mjorh

Know graphics ain’t all the part of a game but when u see huge difference between different platforms like PC n PS3 or PC n 360 in case of graphics , u’ve left with no choice other than grabbin a next-gen console or get a High-End PC ,so we’re gonna have to deal with this DRM shit no matter what .

#37 1 year ago
  38. deraj

Some great responses. I agree that the question is who is really driving these anti-consumer measures? If it’s the publishers we probably can’t change it. If it’s MS & Sony then we still have a shot provided they haven’t already set it in stone. We are probably some months from console release and since these changes can be done in software it’s just a matter of whether we can impact their policy in the window we have before launch.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Cort

Views expressed by individuals do not represent the views of the company.

There is little doubt Sony will have a similar, if not identical scheme, at launch. I’d be stunned if they do not.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Malmer

It’s simple. If Sony wasn’t going to have similar DRM to MS then they would had said so by now.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Cobra951

@38: With the open PC, the control is in your hands. DRM is easily circumvented there. If both Sony and MS go the consumer-raping route next gen, PC is where I’m going to be.

@41: I’m starting to fear that as well.

#41 1 year ago