ICO, Shadow of the Colossus HD and Demon’s Souls to be free on EU PS Plus in June

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 12:27 GMT By Alex Donaldson

European PlayStation Plus members are in for a hell of a treat next month – when the service offers Demon’s Souls and the HD versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD as free titles.

The three make up some of the best Japanese-made games on the PS3, and their being added to PS Plus offers fans who haven’t experienced any of these three cult hits an opportunity to give them a go at no extra cost.

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection launched in September 2011, while Demon’s Souls is a little older having launched in Europe in June 2010.

The games’ll be available from the first week of June on. If you’re not a PlayStation Plus member, all three titles are currently on sale for a reduced price on the European PSN. North America tends to get different PS Plus offerings – but we’ll update on those as they’re announced.

1. Digital Bamboo

Just beat Shadow of the Colossus (HD) a few days ago. Great game.

2. redwood

yes! yes!!!! yes!!!!! yes!!! yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

3. Cool P

What about the Vita Games? Were they announced as well?

4. zinc

Jolly good, I’m in need of a dose of Boredom, Depression & Frustration.

5. redwood

u are talking about demon souls right? cause SoTc and ICO are like GEMS of game design

6. DrDamn

SotC and ICO both support remote play if that helps.

Oh and proper PS+ announcement hasn’t happened yet, this info was given in the Witches and Wizards sale post.

7. barchetta

Dumb question from a lapsed PS3 user… PS Plus games remain usable after their promotion period?

8. redwood

9. Rikki

Nice, always wanted to play these and just never picked up a copy. Will be good to finally play them.

10. paukku

I already own all 3 games as physical copies but I’ll deffo download at least SotC and ICO as I never finished either remake (but I have played through them on PS2).

11. NeoSquall

@2 I second that: YES!!!

Already have Demons Souls but whatever, ICO and SotC is the real prize!

12. theevilaires

You guys are getting another batch of good games congrats. I hope SONY adds the Ratchet and Jak HD collections this E3 as part of their 12 game instant collection again like they did at last E3.

If SONY announces 12 new free games every year at E3 for the instant game collection they’d win every E3 and convert back so many gamers that went to XBOX. You can’t beat 12 new instant game collection after every E3. That would be the cherry on top for gamers even if all the shows were disappointing. And lets be real here Microsoft don’t have the games to compete with something like that ;)

13. NeoSquall

I wonder if they’ll add Journey (either the single game or the whole TGC package) to the 12 Months rotation once Infamous 2, LBP2 and Motorstorm are removed.

14. barchetta

@8 Thanks! May consider a larger HDD and a sub…

15. theevilaires

@13 I checked last night Infamous 2,LBP2,and Ratchet All 4 one are gone from the instant game collection. Which tells me SONY is getting ready to announce a new 12 at E3. I’m excited and hope Journey is in there cause I haven’t played that yet. Also would be good if we got a new recently release like Tomb raider or LBP Karting too.

16. polygem

i just bought demons souls a few days ago. i hesitated to pick it up because i don´t have that much time to play games like this anymore, games that really need your full attention for a long long time. i even started to play games on easier modes just because i do not have that much time and i am so stressed out sometimes that i just want to relax playing a game and don´t want any challenge at all…sad actually. that said: i must have been mad. what a great game DS is! i only defeated the first two bosses yet and i am farming a little bit now. already pimped my char pretty good so i will continue with my mission soon. game really is stuck in my head. i am planning strategies during the day and so on :) i will definitley pick up dark souls too now (not so sure if i will ever be able to finish demons souls though.lol).
    no problem that it is free with plus now. i already downloaded lots of games from plus for ps3 and vita. the 50 euros more than paid off anyway.
    i already played shadows of the colossus and ico but i will definitley download and replay them. fantastic games.
    my ps3 and vita backlog is getting bigger and bigger. last of us and persona arena are coming out too, i haven´t even really touched soul sacrifice…wow, i am actually starting to think about waiting to buy a ps4 at launch as i had planned. there are just so many great games yet to play on the old systems. this could indeed turn out to become a problem for the ps4 and the nextbox i think.

17. DrDamn

@TEA
    3 year anniversary on 29th June. Something special for that? Or some big E3 announcements maybe.

18. polygem

@Doc: they both feature remote play? that´s pretty rad. will play them via remote play most of the time then!

19. Djoenz

Already bought ICO collection when it released but I never played Demon’s Souls!
    I heard the game is tooooo dificult.

Nice :D

20. polygem

@19: it is definitley hard but really really awesome! i´d recommend to prepare yourself before you start: read a little bit on the demons souls wiki and/or look for some starter tips on the net. this way you wont get spoiled but will be able to have a good start. imo an easier (lol, that term doesn´t really fit here) start is essential for this game. i started with the royal class (gives me a cool spell right from the start as well as the ability to recharge my magic with a rare ring which you are getting right from the start as well). i´d also recommend to skill your health (vitality) a few times at the start and everything else later when you have found out which way you want to play the game. you can really fully create your char as you like by skilling the stuff you want, no matter which class you have chosen. i also recommend to get the evacuation miracle early on so you can start farming a little bit without the fear of losing all your souls all the time because of dying way too often :)…farming at the start is prolly a good idea too. also, move slowly, analyze every situation, do not rush. never. if you rush you just die, die and die again. game really is great. you die a lot but every time you learn a little more about the game. then again, i am such a noob in this game- i just started playing it myself so what do i know…but man- i became a fan instantly.

21. Djoenz

thx PolyGem :D
    Im so excited now cant wait hehe. I will sink my teeth into it. However I must say I am patient to a degree. I hope this game doesnt frustrate the shit out of me. Thats the sole reason I never played Demon’s Souls nor Dark Souls xD.
    Heard Dark Souls wasnt as challenging as Demon’s Souls though.

22. polygem

i have heard dark souls is even more challenging! i really think this is a game where a guide can help A LOT. and it is no shame to look into one now and then. i really recommend the deomos souls wiki.

you might get frustrated a little bit at the start but you really just need to do some farming early on i think. look into that in the wiki. try to farm where you get lots of souls. get that evaxuation miracle early on. i played through some levels now. not fighting many bosses, only 2 yet. i am trying to get a feel for the game and pimped my char here and there. now i am farming the shrine of storms level a little bit and i am planning to skill magic and faith mainly. i want a battlemage playstyle. in the shrine of storms level i only farm the first few enemies. every time you do that you get around 1000+ souls, you can use these to skill your char. i wouldn´t recommend going to this level right at the start but after a while it´s ok. it is so much fun to see your char increase it´s skill with the gameplay. really a die hard rpg at it´s best. all praise deserved imho.