Diablo III in-game economy hits trouble after user exploits

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 14:07 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Diablo III’s in-game auction house has been pulled offline and its in-game economy frozen by Blizzard in order to deal the fallout of a user exploit that allowed players to duplicate money.

A glitch in the game’s online auction house was allowing players to cancel a transaction before it finished processing – and the end result was doubled money. The problem is made more pressing thanks to Diablo featuring a real-money auction house – any in-game issues have an effect on this as well, lessening the value of gold versus real money.

The bug came as part of Patch 1.0.8, launched in the wee hours of this morning, and the glitch was needless to say very quickly discovered and exploited and squashed by Blizzard almost as quickly again. Despite the issue being a short-lived one, Blizzard has made the decision not to roll back the servers – meaning those who duplicated money get to keep their ill-gotten gains.

“At this time (and after careful consideration), we’ve decided to not move forward with rolling back the servers,” Blizzard Community Manager ‘Lylirra’ explained. Instead of simply rolling back the server states by a few hours, Blizzard will instead target individual users who they know benefited from the glitch.

“We’ve been able to successfully identify players who duplicated gold by using this specific bug, and are focusing on these accounts to make corrections.”

Some players aren’t happy, and claim this leaves the game’s economy heavily compromised. You can find more updates, including a huge number of pitchfork-wielding fans on the official forums.

1. ps3fanboy

i hope more people do these exploits and ruin the game. so next time the idiots at blizzard will think twice about putting crap like auction houses ingame…

2. Erthazus

@1, LOL. Yes! I agree completely.

3. KrazyKraut

ps3fanboy = Erthazus = pimmelnasen?

4. Cobra951

Awesome news. Anything that hurts this kind of gaming “monetization” gladdens my heart.

5. TheWulf

I have to agree with #4 here. I bought Torchlight II and ignored Diablo III because of nonsense like this. Consider: How many people are going to be banned for this who’ve never even played in multiplayer? Just because they dared to cheat in a singleplayer game they legally owned.

That’s far too Big Brother for my tastes. Runic and Torchlight II leave this in the hands of the players, the players decide what they want to do, and whether they want cheating or not, whether they want mods or not, and so on. But due to the Big Brother nature of Diablo III, it can’t have mods and people aren’t allowed to screw around and play the way THEY want to play. Whereas the Torchlight II mod database grows by the day and it continues to become an ever more amazing game because of it.

This is one fight I know Runic won, and anyone who actually bought Diablo III should be feeling like a right patsy now. A total dupe. As well they should. Blizzard have been heading this way for a long time, it’s not hard to see which way the wind is blowing, and their future games are only going to be worse and worse.

6. Cobra951

@5: That’s the other evil, isn’t it? Since players are forced to be connected and logged in, Blizzard can choose who gets to play and who doesn’t, even single-player. A ban becomes the theft of the game you bought.

7. TheWulf

Precisely, and that’s my issue with it from an ethical standpoint. It was morally repugnant for them to sell this as a singleplayer game at all — if they’d marketed it and sold it as an MMO, I would have had less of an issue. But when you say ‘singleplayer’ it carries certain connotations of personal freedom and rights. Especially to a PC user. To a PC user, a singleplayer game often means mods and the right to cheat without getting banned.

Everything I’ve ever had against Blizzard really is from the standpoint of ethics; World of Warcraft is another example as it’s the first game that really used operant conditioning to convince people to play a game long past it being fun — even using peer pressure to keep people around doing raids when they’re not really having fun any more. This sums up how I feel about that.

Since about… well, WoW, it’s felt like Blizzard is more of a marketing company who produces mediocre games. I’d rather they were a developer who produce fantastic games and have mediocre marketing. But as someone who understands ethics, I can’t abide by Blizzard’s continuous shenanigans. Diablo III is just the latest in a long, long line of shenanigans.

Compare Diablo III with Torchlight II — which you can mod in singleplayer or multiplayer, allow cheats in multiplayer (if you want), and pretty much alter and play the game however you want. Diablo III is the opposite of all of these things. I feel bad for the people who were duped into buying a Blizzard product — but as I’ve said, hopefully with them feeling like dupes now they’ll know better in the future.

Blizzrad is no longer the Blizzard we once knew, the Blizzard that made Diablo II, the Lost Vikings, and so on. That Blizzard is long, long, long gone. This Blizzard is just a rotting corporate carcass of a thing which carries the same name. And I’ll continue to implore people to not buy Blizzard games, because they’re only going to get burned.

Time and time again.

8. Tavarish

Economy has been ruined for long long time now for this game. This just makes games super shitty economy even worse. So much fun when Blizzard has basically admitted that Auction House for Diablo 3 was huge mistake and fail.

9. Samoan Spider

@5 I’m with you there. I bought Torchlight 2 in lieu of Diablo 3 and I’ve not regretted it for one moment. It’s impossible to overstate the amount of content in TL2 and for anyone that feels its lacking anything, Synergy is simply the only mod you need to install!

I also agree with #4. Schadenfreude.

10. Rafa_L

I bought and played the game a lot, but as I said other times, the whole experience left a bad taste in the mouth and I really don’t plan to buy anything from blizzard again.

Besides the DRM and auction house I had another disappointment, I bought a full version of the game, and was playing it normally in english, a couple of days after, I got a message that I couldn’t connect and play unless I changed the language to portuguese (I’m brazilian), nonsense, I contacted Blizzard, they said it was because I bought a limited version of the game, after I proved it was a full version, full price, they said there was nothing they could do, my only option was to play the game in portuguese and if I wanted a refund I should contact the store where I bought the game and be subjected to their policies, so basically they said “f*ck you”.

Not only I couldn’t play the game in it’s native language, as I always do, but how ridiculous is that, I have a whole range of options available and they simply choose and impose it on me? I find that completely absurd.