David Cage keen on PS4 Share button’s “water cooler effect”

Monday, 6th May 2013 01:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Quantic Dream is famous for packing plot twists into its narrative-driven games, but CEO David Cage isn’t worried about spoilers.

Speaking to Kotaku, Cage said he’s not at all “scared” of the PS4′s Share feature, because it will help foster the kind of buzz which benefits Quantic Dream’s games.

“We want that ‘water cooler effect’. We had it on Heavy Rain. People talked about it, and they said, ‘I did this. What did you do?’” he said.

“The only difference is that now they will be able to capture and share it with their friends. That’s fine. People bought the game. They are free to enjoy it the way they want.”

Cage did recommend that players try games on their own first before “going back and talking too much to other people”.

“Just keep the experience unique,” he said.

The famed designer had more to say on the PS4, declining to discuss the studio’s new project but giving some thoughts on the new console in general.

“What’s certain is, yes, everything is open today. Everything is connected. There’s a new controller. We need to look at this new controller’s functionality and adapt gameplay to it. But we also need to see these new connectivities. We need to find a way to embrace, not only the available technologies, but also the new habits of players. Yeah, we’re thinking a lot about it right now,” he said.

“One of the features of the PlayStation 4 controller is the touchpad, for instance. These new features are very interesting to us because we think that we would like to bring casual gamers or occasional gamers or even people who don’t play at all to the medium.

“I think we can only do that through what I would say are non-conventional gaming paradigms. The controller has always been to a certain extent a barrier to those non-gamers to jump into the gaming space. We’ve seen more and more people embracing gaming through those mobile devices. That’s something else that we’re watching very, very carefully. We’ll see in the future what this means.”

In the past, Cage has described the PS4 as “the PC of the next year“. Its secret PS4 project has inspired technical advances in its next release – Beyond: Two Souls, which is due exclusively on PlayStation 3 in October.

1. sh4dow

And yet another guy who lost all credibility in my eyes.
    Water cooler effect… what a douche.

#1 1 year ago
  2. sg1974

Bloke 1: Cup of water?
    Bloke 2: Yeah.
    Bloke 1: You use that share button thing?
    Bloke 2: No.
    Bloke 1: Me neither.
    Bloke 2: See you later.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OnionPowder

Either you guys don’t know what the water cooler effect is or you’re just trying to find a reason to be negative. It’s more of a reference to how it gets people online to talk about games and specific scenes more. Especially since sharing screenshots and videos will be easier than before on consoles.

@1 Lost all credibility? Really?

#3 1 year ago
  4. sg1974

@3 You’re a bit confused. The effect is the discussion of the thing, the fact that people get talking about it, which can lead to *consequences* – some of which you describe. But as my imaginary conversation demonstrates, that can be a negative thing, not just positive. You list some benefits as a consequence of the discussion, but if people don’t use it (I said if), they will not happen – or the only consequence will be talk of how it is not used/not needed/a gimmick etc.

So you say the result will be chatter about games. I say the chatter will be how about the feature is not used. Quite simple really.

Finding a reason to be negative? That’s an absurd criticism. If I can find one, isn’t that a justification?

#4 1 year ago
  5. OnionPowder

@4 He wasn’t talking about people talking about the share button itself. Also, in this day and age you won’t have to worry about it being used. Just go on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to see how people like to share EVERYTHING.

EDIT: Or better yet look at Steam’s community hubs to see what they’re aiming for.

#5 1 year ago
  6. sg1974

I know he wasn’t. But 1) he doesn’t get to set the terms of the discussions, and 2) the discussions might end up being about the button and not any benefits of the button. I’m not sure how I can explain that in any more simple terms.

Yes, people like to share everything. How is MySpace doing? And how is Google’s FB copy getting on? Or that social media service Apple quietly scrapped last year, so underused and ignored I can’t even remember what it was called?

EDIT: iTunes Ping. A massive flop.

#6 1 year ago
  7. fps_d0minat0r

for some reason, I dont think people will bother using this feature in single player games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

I will in fact one of the reasons why I am getting the PS4 is because of Share feature and being able to watch friends and others play games. Its the coolest thing about Onlive.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DrDamn

Or ‘I won’t use it therefore no one else will want to’.

Serious Onlive is a great example of what a good feature this is and why you’ll see it in the 720 too. You may well not use it, but it will be huge.

#9 1 year ago
  10. sg1974

@8 Fair enough on Google, but you miss the point. Just because sharing is big, doesn’t mean every way of sharing will be successful.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

No but as said Onlive biggest feature was/is the vault where you can watch someone play in real time. I use an app called Raptr that puts my game activities on my FB account not to mention me sharing screenshots of the games I play on Steam. The PS4 is utilizing these type of things on its OS and I for one will be using it.

#11 1 year ago