Grand Theft Auto 5: larger and in charge

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 17:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GTA 5 previews have started to go live, and it sounds as though the game will contain more customization than previous entries, combat improvements, citizens calling the cops on you, and all sorts of recreational activities.

Gamespot notes you can do yoga, go biking, play golf and other sorts of things, whileOXM notes that the property system is back along with mini games and “endless side missions.”

The game will also contain strategic and cinematic heists and will be the biggest, or largest, game in the series.

When it comes to playing as one of the three protagonists,Polygon reports that players will be able to switch between the three outside of a mission despite the fact each may be on a different side of the map.

Obviously, each protagonist will also have his own unique skills. Michael can go into a bullet time mode sort of like Max Payne, while Franklin’s slow-mo ability applies to driving. Trevor, on the other hand, can go into sort of a berserk mode which allows him to rage against an opponent in close range.

Each of these specialized skills will have a meter which must fill back up in order to use it again. The more it’s used, the more effective it becomes.

CVG has a nice bullet point list of personality traits and background information on each of the fellas, along with information on such things as: drop-in drop-out multiplayer, finding treasure underwater, how iFruit – the game’s new phonecan take in-game pictures which can be shared through Rockstar’s Social Club or other social media, and more.

The site also has a 90-minute “gameplay preview special” available.

Other previews are available on Kotaku and Destructoid.

GTA 5 will be released on PS3 and Xbox 360 September 17. New screenshots are below.

1. Lengendaryboss

Seems impressive which makes the unbearable wait even worse.

2. Fin

CANNOT WAIT CANNOT WAIT CANNOT WAIT CANNOT WAIT

3. Max Payne

That slow mo with driving sounds very cool

4. Silent Killer01

sounds like they are leaning towards the Saint’s Row style.

5. Erthazus

Max Payne 3 technology was just a testing for some serious stuff in GTA with bullet time.
    Let’s see what the’ve got.

6. KineticCalvaria

After GTA 4 boring me to hell, I can honestly say this wasn’t on my radar, but it certainly is now! Sounds awesome.

7. Erthazus

“* If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive”

this is disappointing. I expected something like when you Die your respawn point is in the Hospital.

8. CaptPierce

I’m not asking for 30 gameplay vids a day, but the people, the consumers buying the product want to see what this game plays like in action at some point. :| They showed gameplay for RDR, and I liked it and got more interested because of it. If I don’t see the game for myself with my own eyes, I don’t want to rely on someone else’s word for it because they could’ve been told what to say, or paid to say something about it.

9. CaptPierce

@7 I’m pretty sure they mean when you’re doing actual missions or something like that. :P

10. Erthazus

@9, That would be great. Like in RDR.

11. Lengendaryboss

GTA ever since its success has for better words always remained in the shadows before release and to be fair they have given you 2 Trailers and 3 Recent character trailers showing off the game.

12. tenthousandgothsonacid

The Guardian has a nice preview too

13. Armitage Shanks

Very excited for this,looking forward to seeing what radio stations are in the game and the music playlist.

14. SlayerGT

@5 Every Rockstar game is a testing for the next. Its called evolution/innovation. And Rockstar is about the only AAA dev that is capable of it anymore. They have the talent, the funds, and the fans.

15. CaptPierce

@11 I mean like actual stuff behind the seat and controlling the characters, not just chopped up and edited sections of the game made into a trailer. But I see your point though.

16. Lengendaryboss

You mean like NightRide FM.
    Noted, its all part of Rockstar retaining the “surprises” and “magic” of the game.

17. redwood

i think i am going to love the story this time around :)

18. A Zombie Riot

@#4 You say that like you’ve never played a previous GTA game. This game is basically combining all previous GTA’s (not IV) into one massive game. THIS is the GTA I’ve been waiting for. IV was good, just nowhere near as good as III, Vice City or San Andreas. This one looks to outshine the entire series.

But I am so excited for this game. Hearing that they’re bringing back the customization from San Andreas makes me so happy. It’s like they took GTA IV and threw it out the window.

19. Beta

So excited for this it’s unreal ;) With this, Metro, TLoU, Tearaway and a few others this is a good gaming year for me :D

20. Lengendaryboss

I get that impression as well.
    @Beta
    Tearaway? i haven’t seen that on many peoples anticipated game list let alone a PS Vita list, whats so attracting about it for you?

21. Moonwalker1982

Rockstar listens to the fans. They said no property buying last year and now they have added property buying like garages for cars AND helicopters. Even a freaking boatyard, oh my. Weapon and car modding, underwater missions and so on. Fucking awesome!

22. Clupula

I am very glad they brought back the checkpoint system from Ballad of Gay Tony. That sort of system would have made San Andreas so much more bearable.

23. Clupula

I’m reading very little about this game, because it’s already a must-buy, since I do love the GTA series.

My biggest questions are actually about the soundtrack.

I do very much hope there’s some sort of metal/hardcore station like LCHC and an 80′s station.

24. Beta

@20 Well personally, I like the art style, the gameplay looks interesting, Media Molecule has a very good track record with both LBP’s (One of my favourite new IP’s this gen) and I need more games on my Vita. :)

25. Mjorh

Sounds promising ! the only ultimate open-world game gonna rock n roll ! can’t wait really …Too Much Pressure!(like tweek’s too much pressure (southpark D!)) BTW bring it on PC u cocky R* ! i don’t think its gonna have an ending , u can do every possible n imaginable thing in this game..A W E S O M E !

26. NooB GobliN

Really excited for this game. Easily my most anticipated game for the year. And that in a year with new consoles and shit. Rockstar does it like no other. They are beyond any known messure. Fanboy gushing over!
    CANT WAIT!

27. YoungZer0

With all those Heist screenshots, one might actually think that the first screenshot pays another homage to HEAT.