Metroid Prime games “suck”, says Blackgate director

Tuesday, 23rd April 2013 06:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is being touted as a Metroid-like affair, but its director doesn’t think much of some of the most popular games in the franchise’s history.

Before you start flaming, check out Mark Pacini’s recent history: he left Retro Studios in 2008, founding Blackgate developer Armature Studio, and hiring some of the team who worked on the Metroid Prime games.

Speaking to GameInformer, former Retro Studios director and founder of said he’s hopes the team won’t let down Metroid fans, because his previous work wasn’t up to snuff.

“I hope we don’t disappoint them. That’s always my fear, because I think everything we do sucks,” he said.

“But that’s just me because I thought all the Prime games suck. At the end of the day all I see are all the bad things.

“Prime 2 was a blur to me. It was so quick, it was so fast. That thing just went out the door and it was a very divisive game. People either liked it or thought it sucked, and I can completely agree because I couldn’t tell you what that game was because it happened so quickly.

“Prime 1 was the best designed game. Prime 3 I feel is the most fun one to play. Prime 2 is divisive. You either like it or you don’t. That’s kind of the way I look at it.”

After this brutal self-assessment, Pacini admitted he feels fairly despondent about Blackgate at the moment, too.

“We’re in the woods right now in development, and all I see is all the crap that’s wrong with it,” he said.

“In my gut I feel like, yeah, it’s going to be cool. I’m excited for it. But at the same time, I hope we don’t disappoint people and I hope that they like it. We’re trying our hardest. I would like to play a game like this, so hopefully everyone else will, too.”

Well, we’re always our own worst critics, and if Blackgate “sucks” the way Metroid Prime did, it’s probably going to make a lot of people pretty happy.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is headed to 3DS and Vita in october, alongside Batman: Arkham Origins on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. unacomn

Dat title.

2. salarta

Attention-grabbing headline is attention and grabbing. And possibly molesting. I NEED AN ADULT I NEED AN ADULT.

I hope people read what he said before reading only the headline and complaining, though in this case I’m not going to blame anyone that does so since the headline is sort of inflammatory. It’s common for a creator to feel like all their work sucks, it’s when a creator thinks their work is hot shit that it tends to be poor quality, personal observations.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Even if this is some admirable self-deprecation, I just can’t forgive any heretic to bad-mouth Metroid Prime. Even the creators!

4. KrazyKraut

5. YoungZer0

I bet he’s a real charmer at work. “Oh, btw. the game you worked on? IT SUCKS! Welcome to Armature Studio.”

6. Fin

I never liked the Prime games.

Oh, you just got this upgrade? Sweet, now travel for 15m across a map you’ve already cleared (killing respawned enemies in the process) to get to the next section.

7. FeaturePreacher

I hope they developed the game on the vita first in order to make the best use of the Vita’s more powerful graphics.

8. G1GAHURTZ

The first Metroid Prime on Gamecube was one of the best SP games I’ve ever played.

9. CyberMarco

@7 I read somewhere that they are using the PSASBR engine to create this game.

Edit.

10. DrDamn

I hated it. Terrible, terrible control scheme completely ruined it for me. Unnecessary reinvention of the wheel. Apparently there was a great game under it, but I never got there because of the design choices in the control scheme. Horses for courses and all that though. Lots of people loved it.

11. Lengendaryboss

@7 You can only hope they do a great job.
    @9 Yeah the Bluepoint engine by Bluepoint Games, they have experience but how they use that experience is unknown at this point.

12. G1GAHURTZ

@10:

Yeah, the controls were a bit clunky by FPS standards, but I found that once I got used to them, they actually felt like they made sense.

It’s more of an exploration/puzzle game than a full on FPS, so I didn’t find having accurate, twitch controls all that necessary.

13. SplatteredHouse

@8 You’re so right! It felt like you actually were Samus, and it retained a fair bit of the style and feel of the franchise, but completely altered the way you played, and viewed that world. Some really good moments as well, where they sought to reinforce the presence of the body you’re in (as opposed to drawing the gun arm in the right corner and calling it a day)
    A brilliantly immersive, and eminently playable game.
    @12 absolutely. I had a similar experience with controlling the game, at first.

14. Digital Bamboo

Sounds like he’s just never satisfied, which is probably why the Prime games are so good.

15. SplatteredHouse

@13 *arm cannon* that should be. ;)

16. YoungZer0

@6: Isn’t backtracking part of what the series is known for?

17. SplatteredHouse

@17 I’d say its in the DNA. A dominant gene, and I think that’s great, that there is a game that trusts in the interest held in its world not to just have people teleporting around, missing the traversal.

18. xino

Metroid Prime 2 was good but the whole Light and Dark thing was meh:/

Prime 1 was really the better designed title but lacked good stuff Prime 2 had such as weapons+music

Prime 3 was just>:/

i really need to play the one made by Team NINJA:/

19. silkvg247

Super Metroid was the bomb. The rest.. meh.. classic cause of 3D ruining a franchise (I personally think the same of Zelda lttp vs the 3D zelda games)

20. malethief

I think he’s right about the Prime games. Metroid is my favorite Niintendo franchise and I thought prime 1 was amazing for taking it to 3D, part 2 you love it or hate it because of the whole light and dark world aspect and having to find all the keys…, and part 3 was the most refined of the three titles. Team Ninja did a decent job with other M. I wouldn’t want to see them make another title for the series but I enjoyed the cutscenes and the story was entertaining for a Metroid game where you didn’t have to scan and read on the lore all the time.

I’m sure this team will do just fine with this Batman title as long as it has lots of exploration involved.