Tales of Symphonia is most popular ‘Tales’ game in the west, producer believes

Monday, 15th April 2013 12:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Tales of Symphonia producer Hideo Baba believes that the 2003 Gamecube RPG was the best-received ‘Tales’ game to date in Western markets.

Baba discussed the game’s success in an interview with Destructoid and said, “I believe the success of Tales of Symphonia has multiple factors to it, the first being that it was the first Tales title that was rendered in 3D polygons, so we believe that was a huge component to its success.

“Another huge component was that we had a lot of support from Nintendo, so that allowed us to reach out to a broader audience that we weren’t able to reach before.”

Elsewhere Baba said that should the Wii U’s popularity increase he’d like to see the series brought to Nintendo’s home console in some form. Would you like to see this happen?

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. CycloneFox

I don’t think it has anything to do with nintendo. In fact, being on Nintendo held me, personally, from playing Tales of Symphonia for a long time.

But the part with 3D is a good topic. Japanese RPGs only get attention in the west, if they are 3D. At the same time, my opinion is, that Symphonia held some of the factors, older 2d-Tales of games had, that most newer Tales-games lack. Having two worlds for example is a facor that made the content of the game massive and attractive. I think that is a part, that is gladly taken in the west. Most 3D Tales of games lack this part, because of the big effort for doing such feats in 3D.
    Later tales of games were really good, story-wise, of course. But sometimes, I got the feeling, that there is alot of backtracking and the worlds get smaller and smaller all the time.

I think it is important for the western audience, to have the best possible graphics, regardless of the style and alot of content in terms of a big world and in a huge variety of characters. I would not like to see Tales of going to the Wii U, but to next gen.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hunam

I think it also being the best one has an impact on that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lexph3re

Phantasia was better.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OlderGamer

Wow, I have the opposite opinion.

Being on Nintendo is what I think allowed it to sell what it did. The Gamecube wasn’t over run with Jrpgs the way the PS2 was. That gave the game more of a chance to stand out.

The 3D graphics…wouldn’t matter to me at all. And again on the gamecube, I doubt there where many gamers that only bought the game because of its 3D graphics. It was a solid Jrpg on a system that didn’t have alot of them.

If I were them I would strongly consider a WiiU down the road for the same reasons. Plus working on DS/3DS would also raise brand awareness with Nintendo gamers.

But in truth if I was concerend about trying to sell a Jrpg in the west, I would understand that the game already has two strikes against it before it even hits store shelfs. So I would temper my expectations. These things just aren’t coveted in the west like they used to be. They need to evolve more to break away from the niche audiance.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DeVitowned

Maybe he believes that because the friggin’ asshats didn’t bring Vesperia to the PS3 in the West, where it would have had a damn audience!!!!….maybe one more exclamat!on point.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

This is the problem with this community, it’s so damn anti-Nintendo, even when the producer says it…. you still have people formulating their own stupid analysis.

The Tales of Series has never been about graphics. It’s all about the gameplay. Even in 2003, Tales of Symphonia, did not look the best. The gameplay was excellent though.

The Wii U can pull of some good graphics, and the tales series is not realistic anyways. It doesn’t need to be on the most powerful hardware. The Wii U Gamepad is ideal of RPG to manage items, have a map, and quick swaps of skills in the Tales of games.

The Wii U has been selling better every month worldwide. And this fall, Nintendo is going to release a new 3D Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart. The sales will skyrocket. Were going to see a Tales game on the Wii U sooner than later.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

WiiU is technically/feature-set wise a fantastic system for JRPGs. It needs more Japanese centric titles to build numbers there and get the big JRPG publishers behind it though.

Nintendo *home* consoles haven’t sold as well in Japan (compared to US and Europe) for a while and 3D Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart all sold better in the West for recent releases. They will sell well and generate console sales in the West, but not so much in Japan I don’t think.

#7 1 year ago
  8. deathm00n

@7 Not only for JRPGs, it could have great games in it for all the audiences, ZombiU as an example for the audience they didn’t have in Wii (aka “hardcore” gamer). But the timing was wrong, it’s a shame, it could be my return to Nintendo since SNES. Also the price is pretty high.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Francis O

All consoles don’t sell well in Japan. The 3DS has already overtaken the PS3 in Japan. And the PS3 was released in 2006.

The And I think you need to go and check the numbers. Mario Kart on Wii sold fantastic in Japan. Not as much as the US, but the US is far bigger than Japan. Zelda and a new 3D Mario will push console sales in Japan.

And if those games don’t, Nintendo still has Xenoblade 2, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. The Windwaker remake should help move some consoles in Japan, just because of the new art style.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

“All consoles don’t sell well in Japan.”

And?

“I think you need to go and check the numbers. Mario Kart on Wii sold fantastic in Japan. Not as much as the US”

That doesn’t really contradict what I said. It sold ~3.5m into a user base of ~12.5m. A new Mario Kart isn’t going cause WiiU sales to skyrocket in Japan by itself. ~3.5m people aren’t suddenly going to be convinced to buy a new system for it just because Mario Kart is out.

“Zelda and a new 3D Mario will push console sales in Japan.”

The last two critically lauded 3D Mario games sold ~1m each in Japan. The last big Zelda (Skyward Sword) sold ~0.4m in Japan.

Simply put their isn’t the evidence that a huge crowd of people are waiting for these games in Japan before splashing out out large sums of money on a new system.

“And if those games don’t, Nintendo still has Xenoblade 2, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.”

Look at the sales of the prequels to those titles on Wii – how does that support your argument? I’m not talking about the quality of the titles, I’m talking about their ability to drive hardware sales.

I think Nintendo need to find something new, unique to the feature set of the WiiU, which chimes with the Japanese audience to get sales going there. That and a hefty price cut.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

I came to this thread basically to see the NDF come out and say that all Tales games should be on Nintendo systems from now on because a game on Gamecube TEN YEARS AGO did okay.

If we’re talking Japanese sales, how about comparing Tales of Graces on Wii to the sales of both 360 and PS3 versions of Vesperia; to Tales of Graces F on PS3; to either of the Xillia titles? Hmmmm?

Yes, years and years ago, a Gamecube title sold well. Congratulations. Now, what have you done in the last decade?

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

It’s not because Tales of Symphonia sold well, it’s because a) the WiiU is very well suited to this sort of title, b) OG made a good point about the situation being similar. They would be releasing into a market with not much competition (currently).

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

#10

I said all console don’t sell well in Japan compared to the US. Less of a population. The reason why I said that was because you stated Nintendo’s home consoles don’t sell well in Japan, but the Wii sold really well in Japan. And the console market is smaller.

- Actually I think it does. 3.5 million units sold is pretty damn good, and would quality as a system seller in a country as small as Japan. A lot of people picked up Wii’s to play Mario Kart. And it’s just not Mario Kart that going to convince people to pick up the Wii U in Japan. It’s going to be the combination of Mario Kart , Zelda, and a new 3D Mario.

-The new Zelda game is a remake of one of the most popular Zelda games in Japan, The Windwaker. I think many Japanese players will pick up the Wii U just to play that. And the 3D Mario titles selling over a million is good. That’s also going to get people to pick up the system.

- Combine that will Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 2, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Pokemon Rumble U, and I think many Japanese gamers are going to find a lot of value in the Wii U this holiday season.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Francis O

Shut up, you act like Vesperia was such a huge seller on Xbox 360 and PS3. None of the games sell that well in America, and the Wii U is suited well for RPGs with the Gamepad.

Must you troll every single related Nintendo article?

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

^Hmmm interesting debate.
    But i feel sorry for one person.

#15 1 year ago
  16. xino

ToS was the best.
    rest are garbage copy and paste just to make money.

i really wish I can get my hands on that game again:(

#16 1 year ago
  17. bluemanrule

Vesperia was a great game. I never owned a GameCube so I didn’t play Symphonia. @Devitowned – The European version of Vesperia is not region-locked so it plays on any PS3. I think Tales underperforms because if its antiquated formula. That being said, Xilia & Xilia 2 still look fun.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

@Francis O
    I’m not disputing that people will buy the WiiU to play some of these title, more the actual numbers who will. How many = a sky-rocketing?

You’ve said home consoles don’t sell well in Japan currently, why is WiiU going to buck that trend? What is going to push them to Wii numbers? Look at the best selling games on Wii in Japan – the ones which pushed sales of that machine …

1 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    2 Wii Sports
    3 Mario Kart Wii
    4 Wii Fit Wii
    5 Wii Sports Resort
    6 Wii Play
    7 Wii Fit Plus
    8 Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    9 Wii Party
    10 Mario Party 8

We already have a NSMBWU – it’s helped sell the system initially, but it’s not pushing sales now. Where are the titles which will have the impact of Wii Sports, Wii Fit?

If sales are going to sky-rocket there needs to be a sizeable price cut *and* something new which really plays on the unique features of the system. What’s worrying is that Nintendo haven’t shown the latter at all yet. Nintendoland is nice, a lot of cool little ideas, but what about a single game which is really centred around the pad? 5 months after release what have Nintendo shown which demonstrates that they know what to do with this tech? I like it I really do, but I am worried about where it’s going.

#18 1 year ago