Total Annihilation: Gas Powered Games’ Chris Taylor wants to make a sequel

Friday, 12th April 2013 12:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Total Annihilation designer Chris Taylor has told VG247 that he would like to work on the classic RTS franchise again. The developer has discussed the future of the PC market and the tough times facing publishers, just weeks after his studio Gas Powered Games was acquired by Wargaming.

Speaking with VG247′s Sam Clay at GDC, Taylor said of a potential return of Total Annihilation, “I would love to yes, but the problem is you can’t just make a sequel to a game that’s 17 or 16 years old. You have to update and evolve it to fit into the current situation in the market. But it’s a really complex question to answer because, do people want something that’s been evolved, or do they want to just go back in time and imagine that it’s 1998, and we’re beginning work on Total Annihilation 2? Do they want that game?

“What do they want in terms of mechanics, do they want a boxed product experience? But yes, it would be wonderful to do something with it.”

Sam also asked Taylor if he’d like to return to his team’s currently on-hold strategy game Kings and Castles, and told us about the studio’s difficulty in securing a publisher given the volatile climate in the overall games market.

“Kings and Castles was basically Total Annihilation with Supreme Commander in the Medieval era,” Taylor explained, “and it seemed like a no-brainer. That’s why it was disappointing to find the kind of support for that title that we were looking for.

“Back when we were shopping around Kings and Castles PC gaming was disappearing from retail. There wasn’t the free-to-play model, there wasn’t all the supporting conditions in the market to say that there was dollars to be made from a game like that.

“The publishing industry was going through a very tough time, and it kind of still is in some ways, so to make an investment on a game like Kings and Castles was highly risky. We saw a lot of that, and that’s frankly what made business hard for many people, and many businesses closed too.

“We’re happy to see the stability of PC gaming come back through several world-leading companies like Wargaming, and we hope it’ll just continue to get better and better.

What do you make of Gas Powered Games’ acquisition by Wargaming? Would you like to see Total Annihilation and Kings and Castles return? Let us know below.

1. Hunam

But… he already made it. It’s called Supreme Commander and it’s amazing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

He also made Kings and Castles, it was called Total Annihilation Kingdoms :P

This is really pretty confusing. How can no one point out to the man that he has already made that game?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

So wait, what’s planetary annihilation then? Whilst not a direct sequel, its a ‘spiritual’ successor!

#3 1 year ago
  4. OwnedWhenStoned

Hopefully with all these sequels, reboots and remakes, someone will get around to doing Battlezone II : Combat Commander.

What a game that was..

#4 1 year ago
  5. fearmonkey

@DSB – To be fair, He didn’t actually make Kingdoms which was not a good game. The Developer he worked for, Cavedog, made Kingdoms, Chris wasn’t the mind behind it. I bought Kingdoms day one and it was so bad I never really played it.

I would a true successor to TA, and Supreme commander was awesome, but it wasn’t really just like it. I would love it of they brought back downloadable units. That was the glorious thing about TA. Four people could play ARM and have completely different tactics and strategy because they used different units. After Cavedog died, the community made units and some of those were great, Id love a game that had that again.

I dont think Planetary Annihilation has that, but im looking forward to trying it.

I had such fun playing Metal maps with a specific amount of build time, those games were so epic and would take hours and hours.

@4 – I could not agree more. Battlezone 1 and 2 was an amazing series of games. There was another title like it around that time that was fun as well, but not as good as Battlezone. While we are at it, id love a Heretic reboot as well as a Descent/Forsaken reboot.

#5 1 year ago
  6. f5inglurker

Yeah its sad indeed, the modern RTS right now are niches in their own right. StarCraft 2, being the biggest, with a competitive bubble around it.
    It will be interesting to see how Company of Heroes 2 does, my guess is not as well as the first since it doesn’t offer anything of value, then a mod did with the original game to its credit and demise.

In regards to Total Annihilation well now we have Supreme Commander(s) Spring. Planetary Annihilation which has possibly some of the key people from Gas Powered Games making it.

Chris Taylor has made too many mistakes namely that god awful mess of Wild Man.

If I was Chris Taylor I would improve my image before taking a serious attempt at reinvisioning a classic RTS maybe another take on Age of Empires without the crappy cartoon art and evil drm nonsense.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

@5 Oh, thanks for that. I never realized it wasn’t them :P

I quite liked Kingdoms, but then I was also a kid at the time. It was no TA, but then nothing really beats TA. That game was so far ahead of everything else at the time.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Old MacDonald

Do I want a boxed product experience? Yes, of course. That’s the only experience I want. That’s why I backed Wildman, but will not play whatever F2P thing they’re making now.

#8 1 year ago