Doom 4 hitting next-gen consoles, Rage 2 shelved

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 15:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Doom 4 is being revamped for next-gen consoles, according to a confirmation from Bethesda handed over to Eurogamer.

The confirmation was provided after a source close Kotaku said development on the shooter hadn’t been “going well” after work was re-started in 2011.

“An earlier version of Doom 4 did not exhibit the quality and excitement that id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect,” Bethesda’s marketing boss Pete Hines told Eurogamer. “As a result, id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the very high expectations everyone has for this game and this franchise. When we’re ready to talk about the Doom 4 id is making, we will let folks know.”

Rage 2 has also been canned and the DLC plans for the original have been “downsized” – resulting in all id staff moving over to Doom 4.

While a release date has not been set for the shooter, it will likely be “done when it is done,” to quote John Carmack.

1. SeWICX

I can’t wait for this game to release!
    It’s been so many years since DOOM 3.

Hopefully they will not fuck up, like they did with RAGE

#1 1 year ago
  2. Goffee

Shame, Rage was good, old-fashioned, popcorn gaming with few of the silly pretensions we get in so many titles. Loved it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Max Payne

I thought RAGE was cool , but it should had stealth elements,better story , and bigger open world.
    Maybe with next gen…

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

They should have finished rage! ! Better game . Doom is doom. I love it but at the end of the day it’s going to be back into hell and into dark corners. They are going with the proven seller. While rage just started getting fans. I want rage 2 and would buy it before I would buy doom 4

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

RAGE was okay. I liked shooting mechanics a lot. But beyond that…

#5 1 year ago
  6. xino

i wonder how much satanic stuff this game would have:/

#6 1 year ago
  7. stlthriot

I completely agree with #4!
    Loved RAGE… oh well, all my favorite new game series are falling apart…
    Only CoD will survive all this, that’ll be a boring gaming future. :\ Lame.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Noodlemanny

Yay, Doom 4. Having almost religiously played the previous three this is good news in the otherwise mediocre history of my life.
    But it’ll probably be another DNF. Either way you interpret DNF; it is indeed sad face.

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

Sadly, I don’t think Rage was really good and Doom 3 was definitely NOT as good as it should have been.

After Quake 3, pretty much every id game has been disappointing to mediocre so maybe the revamp could help. Either that or the suits have decided to make Doom 4 a true COD-ified shooter designed by committee. In other words, Doom 4 could be the RE6 of Doom franchise.

#9 1 year ago
  10. CaptPierce

RAGE could have reinvented the wheel like so many of id’s other projects before, but it seemed so focused on the shiny new engine of theirs they forgot to add a worthwhile game under it. Not the flat out worst game, just a little underwhelming. :\

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

This is disappointing. I don’t care at all about Doom, but I played and enjoyed RAGE. I wanted to see more of that series. Ah well, guess that just means I can spend that money elsewhere. :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

In my opinion, DOOM4 should be a reboot.

It must have imps, Mars, space station. Maybe horror elements but it should be not that retarded as Doom 3.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

RAGE was a cry for help, it’s really not surprising to learn that things are bad with id Software.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TD_Monstrous69

A shame id canned a sequel to RAGE to work on Doom 4, though understandable,. Though I thought RAGE was a disappointment, I thought it had really strong gameplay and fantastic art direction, as far as everything else…..well, all I’ll say is, hope people love a final 30 percent of a game that highlights all of the game’s design and story problems, all culminating with a cut scene that looked like it was made in 2007, other than that, it was good.

#14 1 year ago
  15. silkvg247

I loved Rage, it had better combat that say.. Bioshock infinite. But weak ass story and too short.

#15 1 year ago
  16. mkotechno

Rage is the retard son of Fallout and Borderlands… for me only was a (bad) game engine techdemo with pretty oooold game mechanics.

#16 1 year ago