Battlefield 4: DICE “very interested” in eSports support

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 08:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 developer DICE will be looking closely at how to fit eSports support into its incoming shooter, general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson has said in a new interview.

Speaking with YouTuber Leutin09 in a video interview, Troedsson made clear DICE’s interest in the booming eSports circuit.

“Yes, we’re very interested in this area,” he said, “and we’re definitely going to see what we can do there,” said Troedsson during a video interview. “I can’t talk about the specifics because we’re not announcing them, but I can say that e-sports is an area that we are very interested in.”

However, he added that supporting eSports in a game is, “not as easy as some game developers like to think, that it’s just you do ‘x, y and z’ and everything is done – it’s actually much bigger than that now.

“There are some people that actually see this as a new phenomena, and that’s not true either. For the people that have been involved in this scene it’s been around for a long time. It’s just recently that it’s really started to take off more in semi-mainstream, online media etc. which is amazingly cool by the way.”

So there you go folks, Battlefield 4 + eSports = ???. Tell us the answer below.

Thanks MP1st.

1. pbvider

More lies…they said the same thing about BF3!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 did you not read what he said though? It’s not an easy thing to just shoe-horn into a game. Maybe rather than do it half-assed they waited to do it properly in BF4. Stay positive :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. pbvider

@2 Man…I would really like to stay positive,but they said the same about BF3,so really I don`t believe them anymore,the hitreg and the netcode in BF3 is not for e-Sports,is the worst I`ve ever seen in a FPS game.
    I` can bet that BF4 will not be for e-Sports!I`m not new to Battlefield franchise and I know when DICE/EA is lying.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ajsman

And don’t forget the random bullet spread. Coz from what I have seen ppl who play e-sports really don’t like anything based on luck in their FPS games.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OwnedWhenStoned

They should concentrate on moderating cheats and griefers first.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tavarish

@5 That would mean they would need to ban theirs whole Battlelog moderator staff, not gonna happen. Yeah, those admins and mods are griefing and trolling on forums even more than most users.

On news itself, what a handful of BS. Same stories were spilled during Bf 3 hypemarketing so they are using same manual for Bf 4 marketing? I don’t believe a word, Esports or otherwise, before proven wrong by actual game itself.

#6 1 year ago
  7. BF4Blogger

While I’m somewhat excited to experience BF4 on my new PC (since I have BF3 on Xbox), I’m not as thrilled about it as I would have been had they announced a 2142 re-make. As the very best version of the BF franchise, it’s a shame it’s received no love to this point. In watching the promo footage, I can see some of the elements from MoH:WF that made that game great and notice how seamlessly they’ve been incorporated into BF4′s mechanics. The game looked pretty fluid and the graphics were sharp. One can only hope for a truly immersive experience on both the single and multi player sides. I don’t think that a new BF was necessary given that BF3 is still somewhat fresh (EG was just released last month!) and is still going strong. Given that BF2 still has solid play and the game is 7+ years old, I think BF4 is a bit premature. I’m not all that surprised though given how it’s all about competing with the CoD benchmark. Sadly though, in doing so, the deep and engaging game that is Battlefield becomes somewhat watered down and little more than a prettier clone with vehicles.

Battlefield 4 Blogger http://battlefield4blogger.com