DayZ: console release “almost certain”, not going to “hurt” PC gamers

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 07:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DayZ creator Dean “Rocket” Hall is pretty sure the zombie survival sim will come to consoles, and wants the master race to know this isn’t going to do them any harm.

Speaking to The Escapist, Hall seemed to suggest a console port is inbound after the PC version proves its chops as a commercial release.

“Certainly I think if we don’t, for want of a better word, fuck up the PC release then I would say a console port is almost certain,” he reiterated.

“I know a lot of people get really hot and bothered about it. Like, I’m not a console gamer, I’m a PC gamer, but I don’t think it necessarily has to hurt things,” he added.

Interestingly, Hall said Bohemia has already been courted by at least one platform holder.

“It appears to be the kind of game that Sony are interested in, I think we just have to wait and see. We’ve talked and met with Sony, and they’re very – you know, they’re obviously interested,” he said.

Sony’s interested in a lot of things at the moment, and seems to be being quite clever about it.

The standalone release of DayZ has not ben dated; we should have a better idea how it’s going after a major review in June. The release was substantially delayed when hall and his team decided to rebuild the engine entirely, creating an MMO-like server-client architecture, which will go a long way towards squashing hacks and exploits.

Thanks, CVG.

1. ps4some

*crosses fingers* ps4 ps4 ps4

2. ActionGameKing

Wow Sony, just wow. The most original pc game I’ve seen in ages coming to consoles!!!!

3. ActionGameKing

Surely Microsoft will be wise enough to court them too

4. Dragon246

Ok,Sony, this is too much. Do you really want all of our money? Save something for MS and Ninty too :P

That aside, Sony is really dropping bombs. Everyone is happy with the PS4, now if they price it 400$ or below and keep basic PSN (multiplayer) free, they can be sure to win next-gen imo.

5. ActionGameKing

E3 will be borderline insane! Nergasm

6. DuckNation

Yes can’t wait hope this comes to PS4 id love to play this.. Sony is awesome =D

7. Erthazus

I want to see ArmA controls on the PS4. I so want to see That and of course frame rate.

8. Clupula

I know a lot of people get really hot and bothered about it.

I imagine as he says that, he’s looking at his inbox full of 500 angry e-mails from bdh.

9. SameeR_Fisher

@Dragon246: totally agree, I mean Sony is pushing things here so far, Sony is known for having the biggest no. of exclusive titles, and now they are bringing all kinda of Free to Play, PC Hardcore games, Indie games aboard, they are really trying to win the next gen race.

They will get my support.

10. viralshag

Starting to think my “only one console next-gen and it’s an Xbox” plan is starting to crumble apart. It’s getting to the point where MS are going to have to blind me with all their awesomeness to keep it that way.

11. sh4dow

It’s funny… I came here to complain about the blurb for this article but when I read who wrote it, I just thought to myself “So we meet again, old friend. Guess I won’t even bother complaining then.”

12. monkeygourmet

To be fair, it doesn’t say it’s confirmed or an exclusive to Sony at the moment.

It’s more likely to Sony having a more pronounced stance at GDC and MS operating ‘behind the scenes’ as Mark Rein stated.

Hall may just be making these statements to see who will ‘put a ring on it’.

13. RacistLemon