The Last Guardian: Sony Santa Monica quashes development rumours

Friday, 15th March 2013 10:17 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last Guardian is still nowhere to be seen, and God of War outfit Sony Santa Monica Studio has dispelled rumours that it’s helping out with the title.

The rumour came from a Wired interview last year, in which Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida made some comments that led people to believe the studio was involved in the game.

The rumours are false, according to Tim Moss, director of technology at Santa Monica Studio.

Moss said to Eurogamer, “I’m never really sure how that got in the press, because as far as I’m aware we’re not helping out with The Last Guardian.

“The only way you can say that is the knowledge that we contribute back to the central tech groups benefits The Last Guardian. So I’m guessing someone was slightly misquoted.”

Clarifying the collaborative efforts of Sony’s banner studios, Moss’s colleague Christer Ericson added, “The different Sony first-party teams do not necessarily actively work together, but we do communicate with each other.

“We tend to visit each other several times a year, and doing so we may exchange ideas. They’ve been here, and we’ve been there. We do ask each other how are you doing that, and just sometimes go over to provide feedback.”

Hmm. So where the hell is The Last Guardian exactly? Could it be a PS4 title?

Let us know what you think below.

1. Blue Oni

I respect SSM but i’m glad they are staying away from TLG.I would like to see the project keep its Japanese roots even though SCEJ representatives have said a couple of times that this game is more geared towards an international audience than previous Team Ico games.

I also think going into next gen Sony really needs to beef up their SCEJ studios because most of their teams (including Team Ico)have very small workforce (30-40) people but the projects keep getting more and more ambitious and not to mention that the hardware jump will also require more people and better management.I’m hoping to see more high profile console games form SCEJ next gen.

2. dizzygear

This game is starting to become the new Duke Nuke’em Forever. Lets just hope it will be better than that game if it ever comes out.

3. Keivz

I believe him. But I do wonder, why is he only now providing clarification? This rumor has been out since last year.

4. Clupula

I’ll just give the same statement I always make concerning this game and Versus XIII: “If it gets moved from PS3 to PS4, I’ll feel that was a betrayal.”

5. Blue Oni

@4:Why? did you bought a PS3 for only those 2 games?

6. Clupula

@5 – No. Actually, I bought it for 20 games and have bought way more than that since. But if something is announced for one system, I think it’s absolute bullshit to move it to another. Not to mention, I expect the PS3 to be continued to be supported for, at least, the next two years, like what Sony did with the PS2 when the PS3 came out. Any less support than that would mean I can no longer trust them to support the PS4 if there is a PS5.

7. OrbitMonkey

All this time & effort for a game that will wow critics & sell next to nothing.

Sony should have put the big bird dog down long ago.

8. Clupula

@7 – Considering the PS3 audience seems more liable to buy experimental titles (see the sales of Heavy Rain), I can see this doing quite well if hyped up enough.

Of course, I guess life would be easier if all game companies ever did was shit out Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed sequels.

9. OrbitMonkey

@8, Yes, if & when this over-blown tech demo see’s the light if day, it will require plenty of hype to convince the gullible, that it’s a *game*.

And of course the ranks of Sony faithful will descend onto the comments threads to defend thus epic waste of time.

10. Clupula

Who shit in your mouth this morning? Turn that frown upside, sunshine. It’s Friday!

11. OrbitMonkey

^ F**k YOU & your optimism!!

:-P

12. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    I agree, it should be released on ps3. Maybe ps3/4 combo version.

13. Da Man

Yes, Santa-Monia geniuses. Make this masterpiece for PS4.

After their exceptional work on mature mini-games and emotional characters, I can only hope they work on this sure to be GOTY as well.

As an autistic retard artistic adult, I look forward to enjoying the ultimate hardcore single player mature game.

14. penniman

It better be a PS3 title.. I am not buying a PS4 for this game and already have a PS3..

15. Djoenz

I bought my ps3 for Versus. As a FF fan I feel trolled. However Modern Warfare 2, Dead Space, Uncharted and Heavy Rain made it worth it. Been waiting for this game too when I saw the trailer. This must be released on ps3 and Versus too. Japan is getting ridiculously slow.

16. Phoenixblight

Well Versus isn’t so feel trolled.

17. Djoenz