Black Ops 2 Xbox 360 to get micro-payments from tomorrow

Tuesday, 12th March 2013 09:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is the next in a growing line of games to offer micro-payment vanity items. They start on Xbox 360 from tomorrow.

MCV reports that from tomorrow, Black Ops 2 will introduce ‘Micro Items’.

They have been described by Activision’s Dan Amrich as “either personal customizations or nice little luxuries” that will not impact gameplay, and he added, “At the end of the day, all of these items are completely optional, and were created for players who’ve asked for more customization options”.

Amrich has stressed that they are just “small, specific ways to enhance your online experience”. These Personalisation Packs will cost 160 Microsoft Points each and contain three weapon camo designs, three reticules and a bonus Calling Card.

You can also buy a pack of ten extra Create-a-Class slots for 160 Microsoft Points, a ‘Flags of the World’ Calling Card pack at 80 points, and the Nuketown 2025 Zombies map for 400 points.

As a sweetner, everybody will get the Nuketown 2025 multiplayer map for free on Xbox 360 tomorrow.

These micro-payment options will hit PC and PS3 at a later date.

Well, how does this make you all feel? It’s no secret that many gamers dislike Activision’s yearly Call of Duty cycle and the series’ money-making ability. But what about now?

Let’s not forget what happened with Dead Space 3:

Dead Space 3 dev on microtransactions: players “need instant gratification”.

1. Samoan Spider

I’d love to say that this will dent them when the next game comes out. But lets face it, the ones that complain aren’t the intended customer and millions will still flock and buy it. This is the thin end of the wedge though. EA and Acti start it, everyone else without scruples will follow. But the choice is always yours. As long as it continues to not affect the game like this (horse armour), I don’t see anyone has a right to complain, but its going to get worse. CoD will be pay2play before we know it :)

Edit: In before Erth gets here to slate his 500 hours well spent :) but I know we all buy CoD for the depth of its story and expansive campaign

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

Lol who would buy camos, calling card or reticles lmao. Thats just wasting money. I do like the fact I could finally buy zombie nuketown..too bad I stopped playing Blops2 on PS3. Got diamond camos for smgs and it was sweet but Im fed up with COD.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mreko3230

My friend has spent $80…EIGHTY DOLLARS!..on Street Fighter costumes. No one has said a word about it possibly destroying gaming as we know it. You can buy outfits for Lara in Tomb Raider. Haven’t heard anyone jumping up and down about that one.

This is just cosmetic. If were a gun or perk or something, I could see it being an issue (the old pay2win…which, by the way, is not popular with western gamers.)To me, this is no different than buying clothes for your XBOX Avatar or items for Playstation Home. These kind of things have been on PC for years…it just seems my fellow console gamers like to panic about it.

And yeah, I can forget about Dead Space 3 microtransactions because they were of little to no consequence during gameplay.

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

Actually I have nothing against this type of microtransactions, as long as it’s not p2w or gives you a headstart against others, like better weapons or armor. What’s wrong, If one is willing to pay for a nice camo?

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

yah yah… if it only don’t go further than uncharted3 costume crap. this will not have any impact on the gaming. but i guess there will some be suckers and closet homos buying this new crap like pants,shirts and hats… you can just hear them “oh, a new pink shirt, i must buy it, it is so military”. hahahaha!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

@3 microtransactions are there for ages. Just look at free to play MMOrpgs. On console im just not used to it and I think its nonsense. So what? Are you happy to buy nonsense then go ahead. Most people wont play a game for tht long or eventually quit anyway so all those cute things you bought will be wasted. Like dlc etc. Dont get me wrong I bought dlc etc. And have been tempted or even bought dlc,premium items on pc,mobile etc. but it in the end its not tangible. At least tangible stuff are collectibles. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. M. K.

I’m going to have a look at the Reticules. I don’t like the ones in Blops 2, so I may buy some of them, if they are good.

#7 1 year ago
  8. CyberMarco

beeeeeeeeeeh!

Personally I’m not fond of CoD anymore, I liked MW1 but that’s all, I occasionally play a free weekend on Steam just to see the differences (if any) by each installment. After that all the games were DLC fest. Anyhow, if they implement these cosmetic DLCs it means that there are suckers who will buy the shit out of it. Nice way to waste money…

I believe that this kind of tactics show how griddy some dev/pub are and don’t think twice before doing it as long as their pockets get the extra $$$!

#8 1 year ago
  9. Djoenz

@CyberMarco I agree with you cause if they were truly boss they could have easily made them free and tie them in with regular DLC packs. I would like to
    say only retards would buy this but thats not the case. Imagine you bought a game of xbl store or psnstore but you have some bucks left voila.

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

Next gen is gonna be fun:
    - Paid online subscriptions,
    - Season passes (With Year and Decade passes to come)
    - In-game ads and billboards which lead to:
    - Micro-transactions and probably
    - Macro-transactions
    - Always online DRMs for console and PC
    - Social and online stuff up the ass of every single or multiplayer game
    - Episodic Content that repeats above steps with every new episode

Did I miss any next-gen goodness?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@10 Nope, that’s how I see it too. Can’t wait. But then we already have most of it, its just going to get a little more involved next gen.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Fin

Either that (though nowhere near as extreme), or game prices go up.

You can’t have both.

#12 1 year ago
  13. OrbitMonkey

I’d be tempted if you had to earn the camo’s through challenges… Though I may be in the minority on that one :-)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ge0force

@10 You forgot the online pass for used games ;)

Ontopic: Paying extra for customisation items is okay in F2P mobile games, but not in full price retail games. New skins etc should unlock by playing the game, not by paying more money. This is nothing more than a new form of monetizing, and of course you’ll get it first on Xbox 360.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps3fanboy

the ps4 will be the last nextgen gaming system worth owning. after that it all will be service based system in the cloud and you will have to pay 80 dollars or more for each game(plus you have all this dlc, micro crap) to play rental games.

when it comes to pc its all digital download,always online drm and micro-transactions already.. so the pc gaming is lost already. and the nexgen xbox will be lost to very fast after release to we have seen where ms want to go with it from the start…..

gaming as an entertainment have had its good run from 1980-2013(and 5 or 6 more years) then there is no point anymore.

#15 1 year ago
  16. stretch215

@10 most of that list already exists. I have no complaints with this type of microtransaction, as it’s been around for a while now.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Da Man

When you regularly buy reskins of the same old videogames for $60 (Call of – uh, I mean Killzone 8/Tomb R-err sorry, Uncharted 4, God of War 10), something like this shouldn’t be too worrying.

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

The Red +1

#18 1 year ago
  19. karma

@ #1: Agreed. Those types of gamers are so naive about the games industry. Their lack of insight, not only damages themselves by tolerating companies like Activision’s behavior, with increasing costs for games with monetizing strategies like microtransactions, but they also ruin it for the rest of us who don’t tolerate such greedy business practices, knowing that its just not healthy for the overall survivability of innovation and originality in the games industry. Worst thing is they stubbornly refuse to listen.

#19 1 year ago
  20. RocknRolla

What happened to free camos that you have to earn by playing their game? wtf? they make us pay for a camo in FPS well no surprise it is COD money hungry little cunts that they are.. I´ll as always stick to BF3 100 times more fun! better looking and a whole new fucking engine compared to these OUTDATED mothers..

#20 1 year ago
  21. noamlol2

OMFG
    how??! how??! how people keeping buying the same shit everyfuckingyear

and now they add microtransactions?! people stop! stop buying their shit

they are turning up to be just like EA but they make billions every year

greed is the ultimate sin in gaming

#21 1 year ago
  22. ManuOtaku

The red, plus two and because of your comment you convince me to wait with sheer anticipation next gen, picture my mouth running water like a river picture ;)

#22 1 year ago